Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Friends, after the last software update last week via WiFi I really need your help. I have been in Greece for a week, hoping the update would finish while I was gone, the car was plugged into the charger, 220V, 8Amp. Yesterday I came back and found out that the screen is black. A note behind the steering wheel: call the service station. they told me: The update went wrong. I need to do a reset: press both little scoll wheels on the steering wheel at once and the software will reset, pressing the brake at the same time will reset to factory settings. I did all that: Nothing happened, except a notice to unlock the car, or unplug it. The screen stayed black, and the stick shift does not work. It is stuck in Park position. The doors and the dome lights work, charge port is blue. German road side assistence told me to contact the nearest service station, which is in Hamburg, 120km North, on monday. I might have to get my car there physically, by a towing company on my expense, although I did not request a software update. Tesla forced it onto my car! I could borrow a car trailer from a friend, but how to get a Tesla with the brakes in park onto it. It cannot get lifted either cause its in my car port, under a roof. HELP HELP HELP. Thtere is no connection to the car via the Tesla app either. Anyone any idea?

Friends, after the last software update last week via WiFi I really need your help. I have been in Greece for a week, hoping the update would finish while I was gone, the car was plugged into the charger, 220V, 8Amp. Yesterday I came back and found out that the screen is black. A note behind the steering wheel: call the service station. they told me: The update went wrong. I need to do a reset: press both little scoll wheels on the steering wheel at once and the software will reset, pressing the brake at the same time will reset to factory settings. I did all that: Nothing happened, except a notice to unlock the car, or unplug it. The screen stayed black, and the stick shift does not work. It is stuck in Park position. The doors and the dome lights work, charge port is blue. German road side assistence told me to contact the nearest service station, which is in Hamburg, 120km North, on monday. I might have to get my car there physically, by a towing company on my expense, although I did not request a software update. Tesla forced it onto my car!
Forced? You didn't hit "update" on the software update? It sounded from earlier in your paragraph like you hit "update". NEVER approve a software update if you might need your car in the next few days! (I refused updates for two years at one point.)

I could borrow a car trailer from a friend, but how to get a Tesla with the brakes in park onto it. It cannot get lifted either cause its in my car port, under a roof. HELP HELP HELP. Thtere is no connection to the car via the Tesla app either. Anyone any idea?

Call the service center on Monday. Since Tesla bricked your car, it really is up to them to fix it for you -- you should not have out of pocket costs, and you should insist on that. They may be able to give you instructions to fix it at home, or send a ranger to fix it; otherwise they should take it to the service center on their dime.

I discovered you had to hold down the scroll wheels for OVER A MINUTE (time it) to get it to reset.

There are some features that need to be integrated (which shouldn't be all that difficult):
  • Enable the use of offline playlists for Spotify (maybe only allow the download on WIFI to reduce bandwidth if that's a problem).
  • Use a generic browser (or generic user-agent), so GMail will also work in your car.
  • Cache downloaded podcasts with TuneIn and remember the location where you stopped the podcast, so you can continue during the next trip.
  • Add driving direction to the geolocation for auto rise suspension and allow to set a reduce location as well. If you drive this section in the other direction, then reverse the lower/rise pattern. This would be useful for roads with high speedbumps.
  • Store all browser data (favorites, cookies, history, ...) with the profile. Also don't clear the cookies when leaving the car. This will avoid cookie-walls, logging in to websites, ... over and over again.
  • Store all calendar data with the profile.
  • Allow each profile to have its own PIN-code. Entering the PIN will automatically switch to that profile and allow the car to drive. This would also ensure the privacy for browser data (so other drivers cannot access your data).
  • Extend the trip data with some more sophisticated statistics, such as average speed and trip duration.
  • Show alternative routes when navigating, like Google Maps does. I often notice that the navigation selects a route of 70 miles, while there is also a route of only 45 miles (+5 minutes). I often drive the shorter route to save some energy.
  • 360-degree view when parking. I guess there are cameras on all sides, so with the powerful GPU it should be possible to stich them together for a 360-view.
  • Allow to set the speed of the cruise-control via the right wheel (just like fan speed, temperature, roof, ...).
It would also be great to have WIFI on each supercharger location and connect to it automatically. Also allow to watch video in your browser when connected to WIFI and the car is in park. Integrating Netflix, YouTube, ... would be even better so you can watch video while charging. Would be good for Netflix sale too, so there could be a kick-back for Tesla.

First time posting on this forum. Thanks for starting this forum. Apologies if the below suggestion has been posted before as I couldn't validate due to the sheer number of posts and similar sounding suggestions like mine below...

"An option to prepare or warm up the battery/car before start of a journey when it is plugged to the Wall charger."
- This option is not about warming up the climate controls/seats for the driver and passengers but the car itself. I have noticed that when it is cold, it uses some energy to "wake/warm up" the battery and therefore results in loss of range. If this could be done upfront before the journey begins, when the car is still plugged into the wall charger then this will not reduce the range.

First time posting on this forum. Thanks for starting this forum. Apologies if the below suggestion has been posted before as I couldn't validate due to the sheer number of posts and similar sounding suggestions like mine below...

"An option to prepare or warm up the battery/car before start of a journey when it is plugged to the Wall charger."
- This option is not about warming up the climate controls/seats for the driver and passengers but the car itself. I have noticed that when it is cold, it uses some energy to "wake/warm up" the battery and therefore results in loss of range. If this could be done upfront before the journey begins, when the car is still plugged into the wall charger then this will not reduce the range.

They added this years ago. Turn on the climate control while plugged in and it will heat the battery from shore power. Or dont charge to full until close to your departure time, charging will condition the battery as well.

• Informative
Reactions: ironwaffle
Option to opt out of Firmware updates. I had an update last month that caused the dash display to crash 100% of the time when streaming music AND using navigation at the same time. It would be awesome, if Tesla got a version which was 100% stable and would never have either of the displays go down intermittently. I also had an issue yesterday where I couldn't unlock the car except with the Android App.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
can't believe we still don't have scheduled "departure time" charging. the guy who wrote Dashboard did it. not really all that hard.
this is especially useful since Tesla is so adamant about not leaving your car max charged for long periods. to drive right away.
There is a youtube video made in Europe during 2014... some sort of RHD launch trip with Elon + JB I think. Someone in the crowd suggested adding charging that would end at a particular time. Elon and JB looked at each other and they remarked that it was a good idea and totally do-able! (which I also agree)

So... no idea why that hasn't been implemented after all this time :(

Option to opt out of Firmware updates. I had an update last month that caused the dash display to crash 100% of the time when streaming music AND using navigation at the same time. It would be awesome, if Tesla got a version which was 100% stable and would never have either of the displays go down intermittently. I also had an issue yesterday where I couldn't unlock the car except with the Android App.
Just keep refusing updates, and tell the service center never to do updates, too.

Unfortunately, Tesla may start refusing to do warranty service if you do this. This is unacceptable and illegal (since the updates often break things, the updates *create* warranty issues which Tesla refuses to fix), but Tesla HQ doesn't seem to care about customers (the local service centers are very nice and apologetic; Tesla HQ is worthless).

Also note that this thread has kind of died because it's obvious Tesla HQ isn't listening or doesn't care. They've refused to listen to basic, and really important, requests from five years ago.

Restore split screen functionality that V9 removes, I drive with rear camera on top and browser with waze on bottom ALWAYS

I will not be updating to V9 or higher till I see that has been fixed.
Get in line!!! I'm still waiting for them to restore the functionality that keeps the big buttons at the top visible 100% of the time :)

I think V9 makes my point moot, because the buttons are all moving to the bottom, and "app button" notwithstanding theyre visible all the time.

Feature request: adjust charge current from mobile app.

Would really be nice to be able to lie in bed and change the speed the car is charging at... slowly when time allows, or quicker when I need to finish it soon... instead of having to physically get out of bed, put clothes on, go outside and climb into the car to change this.

1. sort my FM radio presets by frequency instead of the order they were added.
2. When using navigation, left dash area replaces power graph with the nav view. Occasionally, I don't need that nav on the dash, and would prefer to bring up the real-time power graph. Especially if there are no turns in the next few hours as I drive through the mountains. I'd like to be able to toggle the two views.