Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Model S Feature Request - Improve Address Options.
After you select a destination on your smart phone, you have the option to designate that address as a favorite. Once you selected as a favorite destination the system allows you to "Name" the destination. By default, the default name is the address, not the name in your address book. The default should be the addressees name or addressees name with address, example "John Smith" or "John Smith, 100 Main Ave"

Model S Feature Request - Option to set headlights from the screen's top option bar.
Three weeks ago I silently lamented that my super cool car couldn't automatically set its running lights based on the lighting conditions or rain. A week later my wish became true and I now realized that I wanted much more. I want it to work well.

I would like the headlight to be controlled from the top menu bar and for that menu option to be always on. I would like setting the driving light option to be akin to setting the iPhone camera's lighting function. The headlight light options would be on, off and auto. Touching the light icon would toggle between on and off and holding the icon would allow you to select from a pull down menu: on, off and auto. Yes, I know that you can delve down through several levels of menu options to accomplish that goal but it is impossible to do without giving the touch screen your undivided attention. It is sooooooo much harder than using a mechanical switch. I've parked in government garages that required that driving lights be kept off while in the garage. Also, when I am detailing my may car I would like to simply and easily turn off the driving lights. Getting out my reading glasses to read the screen and selecting four or five software buttons seems a little stupid, I'de use the word ludicrous to describe this process but Tesla has made "Ludicrous" into something totally good and fun so I will just say that it is hugely difficult and a great big step backwards.

Model S Feature Request - Update to GPS route planner to include all types of charging stations. Before I bought my Tesla I had a bad case of range anxiety, I still do. At the Tesla showroom, my salesperson showed a route planner that included all types of charging stations. I felt much better. When I sat down inside my brand new Tesla to plan out a long trip, it only showed Tesla Supercharging stations, what the heck! Now my range anxiety is back and it is a little stronger. Update your trip planning software to include every type of charging station and include the ability to show/hide recharging stations by type. Showing me the great planning tool in the showroom but not including it in my car seems very disrespectful and its omission damages my driving experience.

Model S Hardware Request - Include a tire repair kit with every new car. Great, I just bought my first $110,000 super fantastic, almost a flying car that doesn't have a spare tire. Who knows if it has a jack. Tesla cars come with free initial roadside assistance and no spare tire. But honestly, if it is raining, the middle of the night, you are 50 miles away from help and you are third on the road side assistance list with no spare tire; does not having a repair kit sound reasonable? PS, the Tesla repair kit includes an electric inflator with a Fix-A-Flat type of compound. PSS, Fix-A-Flat is apparently damaging to the inflation sensors and most cigarette lighter air pumps with enough air pressure for the Tesla often draw too much power. So, buy Tesla's $50 kit ($80-ish with tax and shipping).

My Toyota has this, I'd like for a memory setting upon entry. Basically the drivers seat automatically slides back and steering wheel moves forward to make it easier to enter the car. Once I plop my big American butt into the seat, they can move me to my set memory seating. As of now, I keep rubbing against the side bolsters of the seats; and a little worried about the wear on them.

Additional:
Request: Independent location settings for HomeLink Open & Close.
Reason: Open starts too far away from the house (so it doesn't work if programmed according to instructions) forcing me to reset the location inside my garage. This worries me about the closure - luckily no issues so far.

Request: Different heating levels for the steering wheel heater, just like the seats
Reason: After a couple of minutes, it gets seriously hot. I wouldn't mind a comfortable "1" setting to keep my hands toasty; and lower the aircon for more range.

Request: Texting & Speech Integration
Reason: My coworker showed me something his Ford Fusion Energi did that the Tesla does not. He was able to sync his phone and have incoming text messages read out to him. I believe he was also able to dictate a message to be sent as well. This should either be offered via the car, or better integration with mobile phones to allow the launching of mobile assistants such as Siri from the steering wheel.

What features would you like Tesla to add in future versions of the firmware?

For the next software update pertaining to the keyfob in addition to the linked driver profiles can we link workplaces as well to each key?

For incoming SMS text messages the car should have the ability to display or read it loud

19" cyclone wheels in graphite gray?

Grab handle installation?

i would like the option to go back to fixed top menu icons on the screen. I now have to touch the screen twice to do basic functions where prior to v8.0 it would be one touch. I didn't need the little bit of additional map space that hiding the top bar provides. The lag and time it takes of them to appear and the +- buttons to appear is distracting.
I would consider this essential.

"Revert main screen interface to 6.2 layout" (it's ok to use the new "flat" icons) would be a sound request.

I sent the following suggestion to the [email protected] email address earlier today.

--
Dear Sirs and Madams,

I am writing with a suggestion that I believe would increase the scroll wheel functionality for a large number of Tesla drivers.

Currently the scroll wheels move the “focus” down or up to the item above or below the current selection. This is counter-intuitive to how I, and many others expect the scroll wheels to function. (Support for that below.) The result of this is that we are having to constantly think about what the scroll wheel will do, and if we don’t concentrate, it does the opposite of what we are expecting it to do.

A simple solution would be for Tesla to offer an option to have the scroll wheels function the other way when moving between selections. Instead of moving the “focus”, the scroll wheels would move the “selection.” So to bring the selection at the top down, one would scroll down. (Currently one needs to scroll up to bring the focus up to that selection, which results in the selection moving down.)

The option could be called something like “Scroll Wheel Movement” and the options could be “Scroll Wheels Move Focus” and “Scroll Wheels Move Selection.” The selection should, of course, be tied to the driver profile.

Before writing with this idea, I started a thread on the Tesla Motors Club Forums, to see whether or not others were having issues similar to mine, or whether I might be unique in considering the current scroll wheel setup counter-intuitive. I will provide a link to that thread. It turns out support for my suggestion is strong, as many people –do—find the current scroll wheel functions counter-intuitive.

Link to thread: Scroll Wheel Reversal

Finally, if you were to implement my suggestion, naturally the scroll wheel functionality would not change for functions like raising and lowering the volume or the fan speed.

Thanks for considering my suggestion.

Sincerely,

Reactions: msnow
Simple sound system request: An off switch in the model S sound system.

Why?
1) I listen to lots of phone-based audio: podcasts and spoken word books (Audible.com). They spontaneously start playing again when somebody opens a back set door, even if I pause them when I arrive at my destination. If I don't notice, they play for a while after I walk away from the car.

2) I can thwart the spontaneous restart problem by choosing "Radio". But there's a volume equalization glitch, and the radio blasts when I switch.

3) clicking the left thumbwheel mutes, but doesn't stop, the playback.

4) If I walk up to the car when I'm on the phone, the car *always* seizes the call and puts it on the speaker. This has proven a little uncomfortable for a couple of confidential conversations. I'd prefer the car refrain from doing that until I "turn on" the sound system.

Another simple sound system request. Quit displaying random music album cover art when I'm listening to podcasts or spoken word books.

Honda did this right in their 2014 and beyond model years.

I started a poll here Poll: Scroll Wheel Movement -- What's Intuitive And Perhaps Why to see whether people find the current scroll wheel setup intuitive or counter-intuitive, and also to try to see if there is any correlation between the answer to that question, and what computing platform the respondents use most.

So far twenty people have responded to the poll, but to get more meaningful data it would be great if a lot more people responded. So if you have a moment, please check out at least the first post in the thread linked above, and then cast your vote!

Thanks!