Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To expand on this a little. The bars on the top row show the car's connectivity which is ATT. If you have a verizon or other carrier phone your connectivity may be different, but if you have an ATT phone this graph should be correct. Are my assumptions correct here?

No, not really. ATT Phone's signal could be different from car's ATT 3G signal for a variety of reasons (antenna placement, LTE vs. 3G, no data at all vs. just phone signal, etc). If you have an ATT 3G phone, the phone's 3G signal should be close to the car's I would guess.

I am pretty sure Phone signal and battery strength can be delivered over BT though so it's technically possible.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this one. When the windshield wipers are on auto they swipe the windshield once when I get in. The problem is that if it is raining, then there is water all over the windshield. That first swipe either gets me wet with a full swipe of water or gets water inside the door since it is open. I cannot see the logic in this. Please either explain or fix. Also the auto wipers leave something to be desired. They have not sensed rain and stopped for a few seconds when it is pouring rain.

John
I agree. I have gotten wet a couple of times.

The wipers should not operate if the driver's door is open.

No, not really. ATT Phone's signal could be different from car's ATT 3G signal for a variety of reasons (antenna placement, LTE vs. 3G, no data at all vs. just phone signal, etc). If you have an ATT 3G phone, the phone's 3G signal should be close to the car's I would guess.

I am pretty sure Phone signal and battery strength can be delivered over BT though so it's technically possible.

Battery and signal strength are available via Bluetooth. My last 4 cars displayed this in the main screen.

Sorry if this has been said, but I wish the passenger seat had the same sensor as the driver's so that the car wouldn't shut off the radio, heat, etc. when someone's sitting there.

Also wish the sun shades could extend, they're tiny.

…Neither of these things is possible with firmware, isn't it? Doh!

Um.

OK: I wish I didn't have to re-link my music source with the car every time I get back in it.

Here's a minor firmware request related to the browser.

Have a preferences setting to let the browser identify itself as either a mobile browser or a regular desktop browser. Tesla's browser identifies itself as a full browser now, so sites like Facebook and most news sites push the full-resolution desktop format. The Tesla browser certainly has the resolution, but the text can be very small and too hard to read.

You can often manually type in "m." in front of many url's to force the site to send you the mobile version. Wow, what a difference. Try going to "m.facebook.com" and see the difference... far more readable in the Tesla. Same with NYTimes, WSJ, USA Today (No, I promise you I'm not on Facebook while driving). I've started saving links to mobile versions of sites to Favorites, but it would be nice if I could just choose which way I wanted the browser to work. I'd leave it set for "mobile" rather than desktop after trying a lot of sites both ways.

(If you're a fan of TUAW, you'll like m.tuaw.com much more on your Tesla screen than www.tuaw.com.)

Just the one that is connected....

Related to this, an issue I have is that cars (all cars that I know of) can only pair one phone, while they often have more than one phone inside. Of course, the only phone that MUST be paired is that of the driver, but since the car can't know which one is the driver's phone it will simply pair the first one it detects, which gets it right half of the time. For men opening the door to their ladies (yes, some of us still do that) this algorithm means the car NEVER gets it right. So you have a Bluetooth phone which on a large percentage of trips pairs the wrong phone.
The solution? Use the driver's profile to pair the right phone. Whenever you connect a phone manually (by either pairing it or connecting it manually) add that setting to the driver's profile, and whenever that profile is selected, connect that phone if it is in range. That way, you will always get it right (and I presume the car will eventually match keys to driver profiles, it surprises me it doesn't do that already). An alternative design would have the profile memory save the currently paired phone whenever a profile is saved, but I can see how that would lead to more frequent wrong associations.
Of course, if the computer could actually connect multiple phones at the same time, that would be even better. It is complicated since, even though most Bluetooth stacks can support multiple simultaneous connections, the software would have to manage the situation when one phone is on a call and another phone starts a call (e.g. disconnect audio for all phones when one is on a call), allow the browsing of multiple agendas and more, so the first solution seems much easier to do.

Other things I would like to ask:
* The aforementioned association of profiles to key fobs. It surprises me it doesn't do it already, my last three cars had it and they weren't fancy cars. And it is a BIG plus having your seat automatically adjusted to whoever is driving the car without having to tell it (assuming each driver at home has their own key).
* Move back the seat and raise/move forward the steering column when the car is parked. Again, something my last two non-fancy cars had.
* Move all adjustment motors at the same time. Maybe there's an electric limitation, but I don't understand why automatic seat positioning has to be made by moving one motor at a time, which takes forever!

BTW, I have a work-around for the lack of automatic seat and steering column retraction on parking: I created an additional profile for "empty seat" in which the driver's seat is fully pushed back, the steering column is fully raised and retracted and the seat is moved to a comfortable egress/ingress position. Whenever I park the car, I press that option and I can comfortably exit and get back into the car with the seat and wheel in the most retracted position (not that I am physically that big, but I am very tall and like a not too reclined driving position, and usually have to pull my backpack from the passenger's seat, which all conspires to making egress and ingress harder than it could be).

E-mailing Destination Information to the Car

Any one know why the Google maps in the car doesn't allow you to send destination information from Google maps on your PC like BMW and some other cars do? It is a very convenient feature

Google Map.jpg

Sorry if this has been said, but I wish the passenger seat had the same sensor as the driver's so that the car wouldn't shut off the radio, heat, etc. when someone's sitting there.
This has been a pet peeve of mine for a while. There must be a seat sensor in the passenger seat to enable/disable the passenger air bag (note indicator on screen). I would think this sensor could also be used to control the car's on/off state like the driver seat.

If I open the passenger door, the screen, audio and HVAC come on. When I get in and sit in the passenger seat and shut the door, the systems turn off until the screen is touched. Likewise, if I'm in the driver seat with systems powered up and passenger gets in, the screen and audio shut off for a second once the passenger door is closed but power back up because I'm in the driver's seat - this needs to be fixed. One more related thing... Driver and passenger in seats, park the car, driver gets out - passenger stays in car (not a completely uncommon event right?) Once driver gets out and closes door, systems shut down - should stay on while passenger is in car unless manually "locked" with fob. How often does a driver get out to do something and wants to leave the radio/HVAC on for the passenger left sitting in the car? If the driver takes fob, car should be imobilized, but the systems should stay on for passenger if in seat. On v4.3 (1.25.35)

Last edited:
Right now, my biggest gripe is the inability to show projected range on the main display. The Roadster shows projected in the main instrument cluster and it is perfect: the odds that the car's actual range ends up being spot-on or very close to the projected range are extremely high, and I could trust my Roadster's range numbers totally. The MS only allows me to see rated or ideal miles, neither of which is likely EVER to be realistic at Florida speeds and in Florida weather, or with my right foot. I need to see projected, and there's no reason not to give me the option to do so.

A second large issue is the inability to show the main nav screen in track-up orientation. North-up is confusing to me and to my wife who is my navigator when we're together. But basically, I'll argue that every other nav solution on the market has the option to show at least two views: north-up with me in the center of the map, and track-up with me at the bottom of the map so 20% of the screen is "behind" me (below) and the other 80% is "ahead" (above). Having those two options is a minor programming task, but a HUGE change in the ergonomics of the car.

I'd like to see an app (half screen) that offered the controls for:

sunroof
a/c
fan
vent direction
lights
fog lights
locks

all on one screen. I usually have the media app open, and then either the nav or the energy app open, but I really never use the nav/energy app. currently I have to push a button, make a selection and then button another button to close tab. If we had a control app that we could keep up for frequent items, that would be great.

My 2 cents worth.

I'm still reading through the past postings, but I'd love to see.

1. USB Dashboard Camera - So I can look in on the car from my phone. Sure, this will eat up a lot of battery if you leave it on all the time.
  2. Snap a photo with the rear view camera or the dashcam mentioned above.
  3. SDK for app developers. One can always hope :smile:

Right now, my biggest gripe is the inability to show projected range on the main display.
This. Canadians have the same problem but for the opposite reason you Floridians do. :)

I would like to see the passenger seat switch hooked up to more systems, not just leaving the radio on if someone's sitting there as has been often mentioned, but also turning the seat warmer off if someone gets out of the seat.

I would also like to see the 'Instant' range distance projection changed to display the instantaneous Wh usage. It also needs to update more frequently, say every 0.5 or 1 second. You can force an update by toggling between the 10, 20, or 30 mile buttons but that gets really old fast and even then the distance number is pretty useless. It would be more useful to see the actual energy draw.