Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all, me and my wife like to travel sometimes from a to b not using the highways. I brought us to amazing places. We use to do this with our TomTom navigation system. As far I know this is not possible with google maps in our S.
Or is it, anybody knows how?

thanks,
Tony Bakker
Owner of a brand new Red Tesla S
Discover Software Version 10.0

Is this what you’re looking for? Look at the top feeling lucky feeling hungry.

What features would you like Tesla to add in future versions of the firmware?

One minor feature I'd like to see is for the Model S to recognize via GPS when I'm close to home or any other location where I have a HomeLink signal saved and bring up the window on the 17" screen to open the garage door.
What features would you like Tesla to add in future versions of the firmware?

One minor feature I'd like to see is for the Model S to recognize via GPS when I'm close to home or any other location where I have a HomeLink signal saved and bring up the window on the 17" screen to open the garage door.

1. Scheduled climate control. E.g. start heating my car at a scheduled time every day mornings

2. Rather than show objects in the console behind the steering wheel, show the actual camera view so we can see real video of vehicles. This may also save the processing needs to display objects which are always not accurate

3. Slider control for the fan button, similar to the temperature button. At the moment it is annoying to go into a second screen to adjust fan speed

4. Make the internet connection better. Appears my LTE connection in the car (based in UK) is connecting to a service provider in Norway which is not providing a consistent connected experience

5. Provide an upgrade option from 75D to 100D as an add on

The simple one would be the ability to input your satnav round trip detail, so that proper charging can be assessed. Getting to the first destination is only half the journey. For example, a long journey to football, couple of hours at destination and return home. Need enough juice to get back to a supercharger!

My wish is for the ability to upgrade from AP1 to AP2 and increase the distance achievable on a charge.

The biggest issue I have with my model S is the haphazard way it alerts you to potential collisions. It would sure be nice if it would warn you of cross traffic either in front or behind the car when pulling out. And, it really doesn't seem to recognize stationary objects in your path and doesn't brake for them. Even a Toyota Prius does these things well.

Reactions: IanMcL
1) Need to be able to set waypoints in the navigation thing. Arriving at my destination with very low charge isn't going to work out well for me if my destination is a remote national park or some where without a charger!
2) Ability to schedule charging start and stop times from the phone app.
3) Better self-parking... doesn't seem to work very well at all.

The Model S is currently one of the most technologically advanced cars on the market in some ways... but other car companies are catching up! One of the most brilliant things Tesla did is provide for the opportunity to update the software! So let's see some updates before the other car companies catch up!

Reactions: emulajavi
I'd like to see: (1) Tesla do usability testing on the screen layout...how controls are grouped (on different or same screen, etc), and how they are activated (press an icon THREE TIMES to activate it??!!!?!?) (2) Include the update notes in an updated User's Manual that can be printed as well as viewed in the Tesla.

And on that same note, I'd REALLY like to rewrite the User's Manual or write for Tesla a manual called The Hidden Tesla Manual. Written for older drivers who aren't 25-yr old engineers who already know it all. After all, oldER drivers should be Tesla's main audience....craving driving help and safety. But Tesla is intimidating for many of them. Thus Tesla is losing customers it could easily woo.....If only...!

To this I would add the ability to activate window defrosters (along with cabin temperature) via the in-car interface and phone app.

Would be incredibly useful in the winter to speed up window scraping.
YES! I was lucky to survive when a sudden drop in temperature fogged ALL the windows and I couldn't figure out quickly that I had to press the windshield icon 3 times to activate defoggers!! Couldn't see and stopped on the highway, thinking i was on the shoulder.....

Reactions: BozieBeMe2
rewrite the User's Manual or write for Tesla a manual called The Hidden Tesla Manual. Written for older drivers who aren't 25-yr old engineers who already know it all. After all, oldER drivers should be Tesla's main audience....craving driving help and safety. But Tesla is intimidating for many of them. Thus Tesla is losing customers it could easily woo.....If only...!
Do you really think anyone looks at the manual before making a purchase decision? Do you even think anyone has hesitated to recommend a Tesla to a friend because of the manual?

And on that same note, I'd REALLY like to rewrite the User's Manual or write for Tesla a manual called The Hidden Tesla Manual. Written for older drivers who aren't 25-yr old engineers who already know it all. After all, oldER drivers should be Tesla's main audience....craving driving help and safety. But Tesla is intimidating for many of them. Thus Tesla is losing customers it could easily woo.....If only...!

Since you believe there is a great need for this book, why don't YOU write it? Tiitle it "Tesla Model S for Dummies" or "Tesla Made Simple." Think about how much money you would make. There are publishers willing to help unknown authors. Potential and existing owners would buy it. Make sure there is both a paper and cheaper online edition for Kindle / tablet owners.

Reactions: 2101Guy
Actually, I do have one new feature request for all Model S and all Tesla vehicles: Add a "Start Max Charge Now" button to the app and car UI that would instantly initiate charging to 100%, restoring your level to where it was set after unplugging.

Who else has forgotten to reduce the max charge level from 100% after needing a range charge for a trip ? Leaving the car at 100% is one of the worst things you can do to the battery.

And also it would be fewer taps and pauses at that most critical moment of EV ownership: long distance travel. Right now it's Charging -> (wait) -> Set Max (wait) -> change max on slider (wait) -> charge now

I like this recommendation

I think a nice update would be to have the 2.4 ghz or 5.0 ghz wifi radio handle playing music and using the phone while in the car.

Bluetooth is ok but it does have a significant delay due to signal processing and it doesn’t seem to be able to handle large amounts of data.

not to mention that Bluetooth has been very finicky when trying to get it to work properly when there is more than one Bluetooth device authorized and within range.

just before we got our Model S we had a Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid and it had CarPlay but it was the wired version. I purchased a Cplay to Air adapter that gave us CarPlay wireless.

that device uses Bluetooth to initially connect to the car system and then switches over to wifi automatically.

That adapter works well and that where the idea came from.

YES! I was lucky to survive when a sudden drop in temperature fogged ALL the windows and I couldn't figure out quickly that I had to press the windshield icon 3 times to activate defoggers!! Couldn't see and stopped on the highway, thinking i was on the shoulder.....
Been there. done that!
Until it happens to you, I doubt you appreciate the panic.
All I had to go on was 40 years of standard ICE controls. Definitely was not a good time to be reading the manual,,,
which is how I dealt with it - while parked on the side of the road!

I'd like to see that the "adaptive part" of the cruise control can be switched off. It's very disturbing and sometimes dangerous that almost every time you are overtaking cars, the moment you are changing lanes the speed drops. Only when you are starting to overtake 500 m ahead, it won't do that. Maybe this adaptive cruise control isn't suited for the European way of driving with a lot of overtaking, it's really annoying.