Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll tell you what I would like to see. Is there anyone out there with Elon's ear? I would like to see "swype" initiated into the browser. It is SO LAME to punch one letter at a time into the browser. Swype would be eminently more convenient?

I'm with you.. right after we get the browser to work reliably. I've only had mine work a few times out of the few times I've actually tried to use it, and when it does it's painfully slow to the point where it's useless.

You might think about the update? Especially since it's $1000 less now than when it was originally offered?

Perhaps but I want to keep my AM, FM, and XM radios and until fairly recently that wasn't an option if one was doing the retrofit. Now there is a path forward to keep your existing radios but it comes at a significant cost. That makes upgrading at this point a little less attractive I think it's around $500 or so for the existing radios to be kept intact while doing the upgrade which just keeping me out of the game for the moment I'll probably just do it of course when my original unit finally gives up the ghost.

Last edited:
Perhaps but I want to keep my AM, FM, and XM radios and until fairly recently that wasn't an option if one was doing the retrofit. Now there is a path forward to keep your existing radios but it comes at a significant cost. That makes upgrading at this point a little less attractive I think it's around $500 or so for the existing radios to be kept intact while doing the upgrade which just keeping me out of the game for the moment I'll probably just do it of course when my original unit finally gives up the ghost.
I hear ya. I didn't want to give up the radio either, but I can't say that I really miss it now with all the streaming I get. I guess if you are used to XM, you might miss Howard Stern or Sandra Bernhard? (tongue firmly in cheek)

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
I hear ya. I didn't want to give up the radio either, but I can't say that I really miss it now with all the streaming I get. I guess if you are used to XM, you might miss Howard Stern or Sandra Bernhard? (tongue firmly in cheek)

I think in all honesty I could probably get by without the AM and FM radios but I really don't want to give up XM. due to the fact that a lot of my miles are out in flyover country where streaming sometimes is sketchy. So having a clear view of the sky and XM radio is the way to go sometimes.

I know there are workarounds where I could use the Sirius app on my phone and then Bluetooth it to the car but the difficulty with that solution is if my car has no signal then my phone probably won't either, although in all honesty that is a rarity since the car is on AT&t and my cell phone is on Verizon usually one of them will work. and honestly it's nice to have it native built into the car and available on the touch screen.

So I guess now I'm in for a penny in for a pound since I spent money on this old MCU1 I'll just use it now until it dies for good then look at options which by that time may include a new Model S hahaha!

I think in all honesty I could probably get by without the AM and FM radios but I really don't want to give up XM. due to the fact that a lot of my miles are out in flyover country where streaming sometimes is sketchy. So having a clear view of the sky and XM radio is the way to go sometimes.

I know there are workarounds where I could use the Sirius app on my phone and then Bluetooth it to the car but the difficulty with that solution is if my car has no signal then my phone probably won't either, although in all honesty that is a rarity since the car is on AT&t and my cell phone is on Verizon usually one of them will work. and honestly it's nice to have it native built into the car and available on the touch screen.

So I guess now I'm in for a penny in for a pound since I spent money on this old MCU1 I'll just use it now until it dies for good then look at options which by that time may include a new Model S hahaha!
I'm with ya, brother. I'm 99 44/100% sure I'm going to buy the plaid+ when they become available, hopefully later this year or early next year. We'll see, until then, I can't really see the logic in giving the richest man in the world an interest free loan of $1K for a year, so I'll wait. Come to think of it, poor old Elon might not be the richest man in the world any longer since TSLA is about 33% down in the last month? That reminds me of a joke about the rich man that lost everything in a stock market crash and he and his wife needed to change their lifestyle. He said to his wife, "if you learn how to cook we can fire the chef." She said, "if you learn how to make love we can fire the gardener as well."

I would like firmware updates that fix the problems with the car. After that:
automatic open/close of garage door to work when backing in
While driving, recognizing animals (such as deer) the same as it does another vehicle (almost hit a deer the other night)
Alexa! (Or similar)
instead of ‘fart’ sounds, different engine sounds (muscle car, sports car, etc)

I would like firmware updates that fix the problems with the car. After that:
automatic open/close of garage door to work when backing in
Alexa! (Or similar)
instead of ‘fart’ sounds, different engine sounds (muscle car, sports car, etc)

Remotely raising windows is a safety issue. Not likely to happen.

That was thought of a long time ago, torque limit has been around for quite some time. either that or hard part breakaway in the event that the window should become stalled. It's no different than my being able to close the rear hatch remotely I can close my panoramic roof remotely either of which could potentially have someone or something trapped in them.

I know it may seem remote but I've learned not to attempt to place any limitations on stupidity in terms of the dumb situations people can find themselves in, me included ... !

Reactions: N4HHE
Dear Elon ;

What I would like is the estimated charge completion time when at a supercharger to be within the commonly understood standards of time on my planet.

The charge time indicated when I plug in is consistently off by about 1X meaning it takes about twice as long or a little more, than what is indicated on initial plugin. Today I plugged in at 50% battery capacity and set my charge limit to 90% plugged into supercharger the car indicated 35 minutes to completion. 1 hour and 10 minutes later the car actually finished charging.

I know about the whole charge gate thing and you're trying to protect my car from burning to the ground or killing my battery off before you can push it out of warranty I get all that but at least adjust the clock so that it is within the realm of reality on earth.

Reactions: N4HHE
Dear Elon ;

What I would like is the estimated charge completion time when at a supercharger to be within the commonly understood standards of time on my planet.

The charge time indicated when I plug in is consistently off by about 1X meaning it takes about twice as long or a little more, than what is indicated on initial plugin. Today I plugged in at 50% battery capacity and set my charge limit to 90% plugged into supercharger the car indicated 35 minutes to completion. 1 hour and 10 minutes later the car actually finished charging.

I know about the whole charge gate thing and you're trying to protect my car from burning to the ground or killing my battery off before you can push it out of warranty I get all that but at least adjust the clock so that it is within the realm of reality on earth.
Why would you want to charge from 50-90 that is so inefficient. That is why it took so long. Next time they charge from 10 to 70 or 80 and see the difference!