Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Software/Firmware wishlist

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Software Feature Requests:
Ability to always show side cameras while in Reverse (like on Model 3). For some reason, if the Rear Camera is on, and one goes into reverse, it doesn't show the side cameras. Why in reverse, would I need to see Navigation or music? I want to see side views. But if the camera is NOT on, and one goes into reverse, it goes into Reverse mode with the Side cameras active. Seems like a bug? but its been this way for awhile.

Dog Sentry Mode. "Dog Patrol"?
Dog mode; but keep Sentry/Cameras on and disable tilt sensors.

Tire Pressure in the App. Show last measured (or current if possible) Tire Pressure and tire pressure warnings on App. So that, you know before you start your car if you need air. Especially useful for slow leaks such as a screw or nail.

Add custom actions such as Defrost in the customizable app launcher. Why the emphasis on entertainment?

Reactions: Dan_Foster
Add custom actions such as Defrost in the customizable app launcher. Why the emphasis on entertainment?

^^^^^ this! They seem to have forgotten that these cars are not entertainment consoles.

Access to 40+ year old Atari games can be behind any number of menus and I don't think anybody would care. But moving essential features that may need to be used while the vehicle is on the fly is just dumb.

Maybe we need a dual mode ui. One that can be placed into "driving mode" that brings all essential features of driving onto the screen One touch away big enough to learn with muscle memory and in plain sight. Then an "entertainment mode" for use when one is in park or sitting at a supercharger or some such thing it could bring up all the useless Atari games and fart noises and the rest of that nonsense. 🤷🏾‍♂️

Maybe we need a dual mode ui. One that can be placed into "driving mode" that brings all essential features of driving onto the screen One touch away big enough to learn with muscle memory and in plain sight. Then an "entertainment mode" for use when one is in park or sitting at a supercharger or some such thing it could bring up all the useless Atari games and fart noises and the rest of that nonsense. 🤷🏾‍♂️

That makes too much sense.

Tesla will never do that.

Excellent idea! And maybe separate code bases and releases so that making changes to the non-essential stuff doesn't break the operating systems!
I still want to know what ever happened to my ionizer on-off control,,,, ;-)

Reactions: Catbiscuits
Where I live there are a lot of 2 lane high speed highways, sometimes with heavy traffic including large trucks. These highways also tend to have more than their fair share of head on crashes so, when on Autopilot, I'd like to be able to "fudge" over to the right about 6-12 inches or so instead of staying center lane all the time. To me, this would be more important in curves than on the straight away, but would be nice to have all the time......user adjustable. Many of the big trucks take up almost their whole lane and many times go onto or over the center line into oncoming traffic. Because of the Autopilot lane centering, I've noticed a lot of oncoming folks moving to their right and I'd like to do the same to get more space between us.

Last edited:
Where I live there are a lot of 2 lane high speed highways, sometimes with heavy traffic including large trucks. These highways also tend to have more than their fair share of head on crashes so, when on Autopilot, I'd like to be able to "fudge" over to the right about 6-12 inches or so instead of staying center lane all the time. To me, this would be more important in curves than on the straight away, but would be nice to have all the time......user adjustable. Many of the big trucks take up almost their whole lane and many times go onto or over the center line into oncoming traffic. Because of the Autopilot lane centering, I've noticed a lot of oncoming folks moving to their right and I'd like to do the same to get more space between us.

I've wanted that since AP1. Just a tiny nudge of the steering wheel to give massive trucks a tad more buffer room, then return to center. But nope, that's not the "Tesla way".

You can fix North orientation by tapping the compass when displayed on the map.
indeed you can, and you have to tap the screen once to bring up the icon, then again to tap the icon to set north, which is tedious.
It is not possible to prevent inadvertant rotate when pinch zooming, the requested setting option is to allow the owner to prevent rotation on pinchzoom/aka fix North up. I may be happily in a minortiy of one, but I just hate my map on the wonk.
For those that like a direction of travel map the related proposal is to enable viewing of the perspective map in the IC at all times not just when a route is selected.

Reactions: Bigtanuki
I would love to see trip info on the front screen like my 2016 model S. No idea why such a basic and useful feature is missing ☹️
The small map with detailed immediate map details? Or the trip odometers?

The small map on either side of the instrument panel has an offline map database that functions outside if cellular coverage. Once Upon A Time that map was to be periodically updated iff you gave the car access to a WiFi network. In 8 years I know of only 1 such update. But come to think of it I know new roads since then I should check to see what happens.

The trip odometers on instrument panel has to be enabled. Think there is a box to check on the trip display on MCU.

The small map with detailed immediate map details? Or the trip odometers?
Believe the user, without putting words in their post, is referring to the trips "widget" (lack of a better word) on the instrument cluster behind the yoke. You used to be able to customize both sides of the instrument cluster and that is entirely gone with the refreshed Model S.

But you have Sonic The Hedgehog!

Seriously, I think the idea of driver and entertainment modes is excellent! I would add a track mode. There is a ton of info I would love to see - battery, drive, brake temp, tire pressure, X,Y acceleration, power/torque per motor/wheel, X,Y lean…
Also, give the ability to ignore the bloatware - games, farts, etc.

Tesla is a cousin to SpaceX and our Model Esses are sprinkled with space references, like the Martian nav map and attempting to name your car "42," so why can't we access more of the REAL space technology we already have in the car?

Not SiriusXM.

GPS! Of course the cars show timing and map data, but here is what my wife's Inifiniti can also display:

GPS1.jpg
GPS2.jpg

Coordinates are mildly interesting, but altitude is something you get nowhere else, and seeing the relative positions of the actual GPS satellites over your head is a genuine high-tech space connection I wish our Teslas would showcase.

Someone tweet Elon since he'll never see it here...