Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Spec just updated overnight!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like extortion, to put heated steering in a $5,000 premium package. I hope Tesla reconsiders, and just lets rear heating elements be the premium part. This is an EV, where a <50W steering wheel draws a whole lot less than >5,000 watts of cabin heating. It makes me feel treated differently as a northern customer.

There will be a candle light vigil for the Model S coil suspension, at 10PM.

The white non leather interior is the most posh and comfortable of the materials. I applaud the move to a superior, more comfortable material than cow hide.

If that's what it is, great!

Last edited:
Reactions: gowthamn
The white non leather interior is the most posh and comfortable of the materials.
I applaud the move to a superior, more comfortable material than cow hide.

This will not end well for Tesla :cool:

Published on Mar 2, 2017
I did a noob mistake by wearing brand new (unwashed) blue jeans in my Model X with ultra white seats. The result is that there are quite visible blue stains on it. After cleaning it with Autoglym, it was a lot better. But some of the stains are still there.

• Informative
Reactions: gowthamn

Published on Mar 2, 2017
I did a noob mistake by wearing brand new (unwashed) blue jeans in my Model X with ultra white seats. The result is that there are quite visible blue stains on it. After cleaning it with Autoglym, it was a lot better. But some of the stains are still there.

Presuming all the other color options available are also non leather, what percentage of would be Model S and Model X shoppers would you estimate would specifically NOT buy the car solely because they couldn't get leather seats?

Follow up question would be: How many additional sales might Tesla get because they no longer offer leather seats?

Maybe this is one of those "things" that just takes time to change...
Question: Why do you want leather seats?
Answer: Well, high end cars have always had leather seats!
Q2: Why do you want a 500HP V-8 engine that sounds like a Harley?
A2: Well, because high end performance cars have always had huge roaring engines!

Having driven an EV for several years now, I just shake my head with the big roaring engines of the Dodge's of the world go by and try to impress everyone.

RT

Last edited:

Published on Mar 2, 2017

I did the same thing on leather white seats on MB GL550, detailer removed all blue. No problem. This would probably happen even to washed jeans.

Reactions: Magus
Presuming all the other color options available are also non leather, what percentage of would be Model S and Model X shoppers would you estimate would specifically NOT buy the car solely because they couldn't get leather seats?

You seem convicted, that it's all in people's heads. I am not necessarily disagreeing, but "leatherette" is a miserable failure, while MB Tex is a lot better, in function. It hasn't been an easy material to replace, and IMO the reasons are often functional.

Follow up question would be: How many additional sales might Tesla get because they no longer offer leather seats?

They're going from "both" to "one" option, sort of. So, I'd say "not many". If you're buying a car, it's hard to find companies that don't use leather (right?). Not surprising Tesla would be among the first. Good for them.

Leather has natural pores, breaths and stands the test of time. I'm not sure about the 'vegan leather' material.

Personally if I had to sit on a seat for the 10 year lifetime of a car I would choose leather every time. Seems like my 90D keeps getting more 'bespoke'. All leather interior perforated, gloss obeche trim, leather dash with alcantara.

Its all personal taste but the same reason I don't have vinyl couches in my house is why I expect the option to have leather in my car.

Reactions: FlatSix911
I am disappointed by the changes. I understand going Lean and reducing options, but a $5000 cold weather package is pretty lame. And more than lame is the "vegan leather". I've sat on leatherette and vinyl and you stick and sweat way more than natural leather. But conversely I find a luxury car with fabric seats stupid. It should be vegan or leather options.

I am disappointed by the changes. I understand going Lean and reducing options, but a $5000 cold weather package is pretty lame. And more than lame is the "vegan leather". I've sat on leatherette and vinyl and you stick and sweat way more than natural leather. But conversely I find a luxury car with fabric seats stupid. It should be vegan or leather options.
So what you are saying is that you have never sat in the new Tesla seats but you know they will suck anyway?

Wow, didn't realise my original post would cause such debate :)

Just a thought, the 'vegan' leather thing has gathered pace significantly however, and don't shoot me down for this, Tesla haven't confirmed this is the case yet, assumptions are being made. On the website, it doesn't say it is but it doesn't say it isn't? I know the white seats are definitely 'vegan' but having bought the car just yesterday, the salesman confirmed that the black and cream were all real leather.

Now, not making the case for Vegan leather however, he confirmed it was a lot more durable than real leather and doesn't crack or crease in the same way (I've seen Model S' with black leather and 10k miles with the side bolster already starting to crease).

Given the choice, I think Id still have real leather and based on my purchase yesterday, one of the first in the UK to order the updated overnight spec, this is what I have.

I might be wrong and shoot me if I am, I'll ask my sales guy tomorrow too and come back to you all unless anyone gets better info in the meantime. I don't have twitter though, anyone care to ask Elon to clarify?

• Informative
Reactions: Magus
Another difference in the new configurator is the removal of the silver 21" wheels and the upgraded silver 19" wheel options but with the addition of new grey 19" slipstreams. The grey slipstreams look nice but I can't justify spending $3500 CAD just to change the colour. My local tire guy said he could powdercoat my silver slipstreams for $550 so I'll probably go that route and use them for my winter tires.

I don't get all this arguing about the vegan seats. When I tried both in the store, the white vegan seats looked and especially felt MUCH nicer than the leather seats. To each his own, I guess.

Reactions: Magus and IdaX

Published on Mar 2, 2017

I did the same thing on leather white seats on MB GL550, detailer removed all blue. No problem. This would probably happen even to washed jeans.
I did it on the tan leather seats of my Ferrari. Soon after experienced near terminal shock I was visiting my local hand car wash, whereupon they removed all evidence of my stupidity at no extra charge, I just paid their normal wildly exorbitant price.

The moral: DO NOT EVER wear freshly minted non-rewashed denim in any car, or on any sofa (I did that one too with a white leather sofa). My policy following those two incidents is to wash, wash and wash again all new denim prior to wearing them.