Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Spec just updated overnight!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey, I'm new to the forum and based here in the UK.
Went in to my local Tesla showroom this morning near Heathrow in London for a test drive, walked out having just ordered my brand new Tesla Model S 75D!!! So excited.
As we all do, I've been spending a lot of time in the Design studio recently right up to last night. Went in this morning and went to spec the car and overnight, a load of changes have been made making the car even better value. Here's what now comes standard:
- Smart air suspension
- The premium upgrades pack price has gone up by £1200 BUT it now includes the High fidelity sound pack and the Sub zero pack which were a lot more than £1200 combined before (not sure by how much)
- Glass roof is now standard, Sunroof is an upgrade. No option for a colour roof now.
- You can order a cream interior now instead of the tan which has been removed from the options list.
- Silver 21" turbines have been removed, you can only get them in grey now

The price has come down slightly too for the standard car to £64,700 for a 75D.

Aaron, the guy I was dealing with was gobsmacked, he was literally reading an update email as we were speccing the car so a surprise to him too. He said it will be because Tesla are trying to simplify production due to high demand. We worked it through and given the overnight updates, I've decided to take the plunge! Coming now at the end of September will be my...

Tesla Model S 75D (4.2 secs to 60!)
Midnight Silver
Cream interior with carbon fibre trim
21" grey turbine wheels
Glass sunroof
Premium upgrades pack (now including HF sound and sub zero pack)
Enhanced Autopilot
Used a referral code so £750 off and got Free Supercharging now too :)

There is now literally nothing else I could spec outside of rear facing seats and winter tyres. I'm pondering adding the fully autonomous driving pack ready for when some/all of these features are activated.

I'm new to the forum so forgive me if some of my facts are incorrect but go look in the design studio for yourselves, not kidding, it's all there for you too now!

I'm SO excited, I've been searching for a car that would light my fire and this is it. I know it's no P100D (That would be liked £140k with the same spec as above) but my god, it pulled like a train on the test drive (We drove a 90D on the test drive which has the same 0-60 time). It felt like I was on a rollercoaster, I ran out of guts before the car did. The traction with AWD was relentless too.

I'm going to love this car and I know I've made the right decision. Happy happy days!

Anyway, be great to get some feedback from you guys!

Cheers
Wes

Congrats! You're gonna love the midnight silver metallic with the 21" grey turbine wheels (same spec as me), they really do match perfectly.

Wow, didn't realise my original post would cause such debate :)
Now, not making the case for Vegan leather however, he confirmed it was a lot more durable than real leather and doesn't crack or crease in the same way (I've seen Model S' with black leather and 10k miles with the side bolster already starting to crease).

Given the choice, I think Id still have real leather and based on my purchase yesterday, one of the first in the UK to order the updated overnight spec, this is what I have. I might be wrong and shoot me if I am, I'll ask my sales guy tomorrow too and come back to you all unless anyone gets better info in the meantime. I don't have twitter though, anyone care to ask Elon to clarify?

Go to 2:21 in the video ... the vegan seats are wearing poorly and starting to come apart
I'll have mine with real leather which develops a nice patina and gets better with time :cool:

Leather has natural pores, breaths and stands the test of time. I'm not sure about the 'vegan leather' material.

Personally if I had to sit on a seat for the 10 year lifetime of a car I would choose leather every time.
Seems like my 90D keeps getting more 'bespoke'. All leather interior perforated, gloss obeche trim, leather dash with alcantara.

Its all personal taste but the same reason I don't have vinyl couches in my house is why I expect the option to have leather in my car.

upload_2017-7-23_9-5-47.png

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Magus
Read a few comments on the cold weather package and heated steering wheel. I just went through a Cdn winter with my car and really did not feel I was wanting the cold weather package. My last cas was an landlord 460 and I used the heated steering wheel only once or twice a season.

Has the cold weather package been improved now? I think what would really make a difference is if they were able to put some sort of defroster in the front windshield glass.

Now back to the topic of great new deals on a new Tesla!

The white non leather interior is the most posh and comfortable of the materials. I applaud the move to a superior, more comfortable material than cow hide.

So what are we supposed to use to clean these seats now then? Windex? :)

I like the small of my leather-smelling leather cleaner a lot better. And yes, that cleaner IS vegan.

Kidding. Kind of.

I used the heated steering wheel only once or twice a season.

My wife uses it so often it may as well be a button, or simply left on to avoid having to go through the touch screen.

Has the cold weather package been improved now? I think what would really make a difference is if they were able to put some sort of defroster in the front windshield glass.

The B-Class had a front element. I suppose it matters less for range when you have 60-100KWh on board, but it is another thing that comes back to efficiency. How many watts do rear defroster elements take up? I'd guess a lot less than going back to that cabin heater. The other issue, I first discovered in the Volt, is how humid the air will stay in an EV, and lead to fogging issues as you try to be battery efficient. The Volt would tell me when its defroster was eating >5,000 watts. Worse, that first blast often increased the fogging.

I don't think its bad to needle Tesla a bit on how its choices are perceived. Frankly, I think they want to know, and not only receive praise.

Read a few comments on the cold weather package and heated steering wheel. I just went through a Cdn winter with my car and really did not feel I was wanting the cold weather package. My last cas was an landlord 460 and I used the heated steering wheel only once or twice a season.

Now back to the topic of great new deals on a new Tesla!
My 2014 P85 has the winter pack but no heated steering wheel - does anyone know if the wheel has the heating element inside which could be retro activated??

Reactions: Johann Koeber
Go to 2:21 in the video ... the vegan seats are wearing poorly and starting to come apart
I'll have mine with real leather which develops a nice patina and gets better with time :cool:

View attachment 237288
I wouldn't use Bjorn's experience as good overall indicator. He puts lots of miles on his X and rents it out, lets other people borrow etc. I can easily see his use case causing "accelerated" wear that is far from normal.

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
The change to vegan interior is about emissions. The cattle industry equals the amount of emissions that cars produce on earth. I believe the total transport number is much higher when you include ships as they are the largest transport polluters. Cars and cows are equally damaging to the atmosphere.

Congrats to the OP on buying this latest-spec S! I took the plunge and did exactly the same thing yesterday! Blue S75D + standard glass roof + premium + autopilot. That's about all the design choices left nowadays. Not much configuring to do... I love the new premium package - all options I would have like anyway (subzero, high-end audio, HEPA) rolled into one package. Must simplify production tremendously. The 0,4% financing is unbeatable. I will miss the interior finishing quality of my Audi though, that's a fact. But I'm willing to trade that for the magnificent torque and gadgetry of this EV - and I will not miss the diesel engine.

About the seats: I'll see whether it's leather or not. I'm in the Netherlands and pretty tall, so I'll probably need to take the car to a custom outfitter anyway to have the seats adapted (lowered, headrest changed and with extra lumbar support). Cost is about EUR 750, and that includes all new leather if you want. But if I have the 'vegan' material I'll give that a chance too for a couple of weeks. Most important question is whether it's breathable. I generally dislike synthetic materials, even though alcantara in cars is pretty acceptable.