Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Specifications, Teases and Leaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I realize, based on the press releases, Tesla is fueling this "$60k for 240 miles" thing... but it is getting so wide-spread now - if the true answer is $60k for 160 miles and some greater number for the 240, they had better start setting better expectations before Geneva. The press may be unkind otherwise.

* price & range subject to change...

254679791_2fccad1fc9.jpg

Model S Teases and Leaks

A place for comments and images from people who have seen the actual car. Quotes too.

Then a slide show on and we got a sneak peak at a photo of ‘Model S’. OMG. I don’t usually think of sedans as sexy, but this car is gorgeous. If and when this happens, Tesla will have trouble keeping them in stock at any price point. My family of five might just have to be first in line.

popup_0844_mz_tesla2.jpg

Musk insists Tesla's next models will be irresistible. The Model S will go up against formidable competition—cars such as the Lexus GS 450h hybrid, the diesel Mercedes E-class, and the Chevrolet Volt. Not that those cars feature Tesla's neck-snapping acceleration and running cost of 4 cents a mile. "Our sedan will crush everything out there," Musk says.

Jason Calacanis
In fact, I’m considering buying a second roadster for my wife and I’m absolutly going to be in the first 10 buyers of the four door. I’ve seen the early designs of the four door and while I can’t give any specific details I can tell you it looks AMAZING! It’s one of the best looking four door cars I’ve ever seen.

I would not expect Tesla to take orders for the Model S until after it has been officially unveiled.

There are rumors that they are thinking of unveiling it at the Geneva Motor Show in March, but that may depend on securing the line of credit needed to build the manufacturing line for the S first.

So maybe March? Maybe later?

There is no deposit and the only way to get on the list at this time is to order a roadster. It has been stated that roadster owners will get first options at the Model S list.

I was wondering how they would even manage the order list within the Roadster owners that have first dibs. Here is my suggestion once they start taking deposits for Model S.

Offer a 30 day window to all current Tesla Roadster owners and patiently waiting owners. Within the owner group, everyone gets an "option" on the same number that they have with their Roadster. If they want to get a deposit down for the Model S, it needs to be done within the 30 day window.

After the close of the 30 day window, all of the empty slots will be removed and the new order determined.

So if only 50% of the Roadster owners put down a deposit for a Model S, then #1,000 on the Roadster would likely have approximately #500 on the Model S.

If 75% of the Roadster owners put down a deposit for the Model S, then #1,000 on the Roadster would likely have approximately #750 on the Model S.

Would that be workable? Or should it just be a free for all rush to wire/fedex deposits to Tesla?

I haven't seen any recent information on this but the last semi official information I saw indicated that Roadster owners (I would assume in production # sequence) would have priority access to the Model S waiting list. It was also indicated that each owner would be allocated more than one slot and that they would be transferable in a limited and controlled fashion. (Friends and family plan?)

I haven't seen any recent information on this but the last semi official information I saw indicated that Roadster owners (I would assume in production # sequence) would have priority access to the Model S waiting list. It was also indicated that each owner would be allocated more than one slot and that they would be transferable in a limited and controlled fashion. (Friends and family plan?)

That is a great idea. If there were more than one and I could transfer the 2nd or 3rd, I know some friends and family members that would likely an early position on the waiting list.

I think someone explicitly asked this question at the Menlo Park store one time I was there (maybe during the TMC meetup? -- which we should do again, btw) and the answer was they planned to have 1 and only 1 slot per Roadster owner.

But that was a long time ago, and things may well have changed.

There is only 1 thing I can say when I hear this. WOW. How many times have they told us this same thing already. Im not trying to be negative but I have been dreaming about this car for the past year. And, it would be nice if we could finally see the finished product of all the hard work, instead of the same stuff we have been hearing.

I've been waiting for an EV since first reading about the GM Impact in the mid-90's. Still have the newspaper article.

"next couple months" is still within the March timeframe. Giving first dibs to roadster owners on first thought is wrong. However, if it were not for them there would be no WhiteStar.

It will be a very important time in auto history when the Model S order page is made available. Might be an impressive waiting list after several weeks.

Detroit 2009: Tesla CEO drops a few more hints on the Model S - AutoblogGreen

However, powertrain development is still moving ahead and Musk indicated that if the engineering team is satisfied with the car's performance they will likely unveil it at a special event in late February.

I thought Geneva was in March... Am I not remembering that correctly? If so, that means they will be showing it before Geneva? Good news!

Additionally:
Tesla is also developing fast swap battery packs. The removal and installation of the Roadster pack is about an 8 hour operation. This may or may not be part of the standard Model S feature set. Tesla has also developed a fast charger that can top up the battery in 45 minutes. One option being considered is to offer pack rentals for Model S owners planning a longer road trip. They would be able to temporarily get a 300-mile pack installed that would facilitate longer trips.

I thought Geneva was in March... Am I not remembering that correctly?
79th International Motor Show, Palexpo-Geneva, 5th to 15th March 2009.

If so, that means they will be showing it before Geneva?
Note, how they said "Special Event"...
...if the engineering team is satisfied with the car's performance they will likely unveil it at a special event in late February.
I take "special event" to mean other than an auto show.
At this point I think Tesla has enough clout to just call a press event and have a good turnout.
Probably have some serious celebs on hand to turn a parking lot (or an airport hanger) into an event if they want to.