Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Specifications, Teases and Leaks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes I noticed that too. I'm sure if they get access to 40% better energy density (note: volumetric) then it would be offered as an option on the Roadster. I wonder if that was a subtle hint that this is coming, or whether he was talking in the same generalisms as we do when we refer to 3600mAh cells?

Hmm. Geneva is 5-15th March. Will they put it on a plane, do they have two, or do we have to wait longer?

Any owner fancy a new tie? :biggrin:

_cspytsrtv002.jpg

One of the people that wrote up info on the town hall meeting today said that the site was gonna get some changes in the next few days. Maybe they are going to have an "Under Construction" section for the Model S and they will update that section after the unveiling on March 5th? One can hope :biggrin:

-Shark2k

Last night Elon said March 5th at Space X will be the reveal. Only Tesla customers and select VIPs invited.

He also said that the base of the Model S will be somewhat of a rolling chassis for other bodies...truck...suv...van...wagon...ect

Very interesting...

I noticed the owners area changed today to reflect the new prices and oprions packages...

Last edited:
Ok, looks like it's actually March 5th, and they'll take deposits for it that day. If you have a Roadster or a deposit down on a Roadster, you have priority for the Model S. Delivery is based on the order in which deposits are received.

Re: bolded part ... Not only that, but Elon even clarified that Roadster owners can decide 2 years from now and jump in line ahead of non-Roadster owners. That makes me wonder why any Roadster owner would put down a deposit now, and risk that deposit in the hands of Tesla, when they can just wait 2 years instead. I guess they'd get in the front of the line of Roadster owners, which may occupy most or all of the first year Model S production ... but still ...

Not only that but look what they did when the Roadster owners locked in those prices. Wait 2 years ... use the money for yourself... and jump the line to the beginning. EM also said that Roadster owners would be placed in line according to their Roadster #. I am not sure if that plan still exists. ie. Roadster Owner 16 would be 16th in line for Model S #16 unless 1-15 opted out and said no. No brainer wait and jump the line ....

. EM also said that Roadster owners would be placed in line according to their Roadster #

That would create a lot of tension. Numbers 16 to 500 could wait 2 years during testing and prototype reviews etc. until that last week and bump everyone back 484 spots.

With a first come first served (in front of non-owners) method, if an owner puts down a deposit at the last week they could be the last of at least 1,200 Roadster owners (but before 10,000 Model S buyers).

tricky

true but my guess is that there will not be a HUGE number of those that want the Model S in addition. And I am not saying the it was a smart choice only that it is what he said. I think I also heard whoever was Roadster #16 say that they were already set to be Model S #16 - which is why I randomly picked # 16. And I am relatively certain that that person was also in fact related to EM. In a sense they are saying we reserve the first 1200 for current owners if they choose to want one the rest are sold in order and if that number decreases that is ok. So the first non-roadster owner to put down a deposit would be number 1201. That number could easily decrease to 1400 or something later. Roadster #1 would have priority over Roadster #2 etc. then after they were all done non-roadster owners would be first come first served. I think it is actually fair that way but it puts me way down the list. But then again I probably will not buy one until I can drive it off the lot the same day. I am just not a waiting list kind of guy. I need more immediate satisfaction and I am not willing to put myself through the worries of price changing and options changing and waiting.

Not only that but look what they did when the Roadster owners locked in those prices. Wait 2 years ... use the money for yourself... and jump the line to the beginning. EM also said that Roadster owners would be placed in line according to their Roadster #. I am not sure if that plan still exists. ie. Roadster Owner 16 would be 16th in line for Model S #16 unless 1-15 opted out and said no. No brainer wait and jump the line ....

Actually he stated last night that that it will be in order of receipt of deposit with roadster/deposit owners jumping ahead of non owners.

Actually he stated last night that that it will be in order of receipt of deposit with roadster/deposit owners jumping ahead of non owners.

This way makes a lot more sense rather than using the Roadster numbers. That's because what if someone already ordered #16 (or maybe even already had it delivered) for example and two years later the person with the #16 Roadster wants the #16 Model S.

Last edited:

One guy actually said "so if I get to San Carlos at 12.01 am on 3/5 with deposit check, I get #1?"

At the end of the conversation they started backing out of that position and said deposit reservation process will be advised to roadster customers prior to 3/5.

Last edited:
I think that it makes perfect sense to say Roadster # 1 gets first choice and on down the line and then non-roadster owners. Offering a benefit to the early supporters if they want it. Seems fair to me. Much more fair than 12:00:01 then 12:00:02 etc. and certainly easier to manage than time costraints.

If Roadster owners can always jump into the line later, ahead of the non-Roadster people who make a deposit on the Model S, what is the incentive to make a deposit now at all?

In fact, I would rather allow Tesla to produce a few hundred vehicles before they get to mine. Let them work out the kinks in the system.

From what I heard, the first couple of Roadsters had body panels that did not fit properly. This prompted Tesla Motors to switch suppliers for the carbon fiber body panels.

My thought is to wait and see how Tesla Motors grows. If everything matures and looks good from the standpoint of long term success, and if the Model S is really incredible, then I can always put down a deposit when they get close to producing a real car. If Roadster owners are really able to jump ahead of the 10,000 other deposits, then I am satisfied being in the first 1,000.

I will console myself during the wait by driving my Roadster.