Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Specs and Standard Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's a few things that we haven't had mentioned/confirmed before (I think!):

• Rain sensing, adjustable speed windshield wipers
    • Halogen headlights with automatic on/off and LED daytime running lights (DRLs)
    • Backlit side turn signals, front side marker lights and rear reflex lights
    • LED rear taillights and high-mounted LED stop lamp
    • Anti-Lock disc brakes (ABS) with ventilated rotors and electronic parking brake
    • Open center console storage area
    • Electronic door handles (Interior!)
    • 60/40 split second row seats
    • Flash memory storage for up to 500 songs.
    • Three spoke, multi-function steering wheel with tactile controls
    • Tire pressure monitoring system
    • Driver seat detection sensor for start/stop functionality
    • Standard definition backup camera
    • Manual rear liftgate
    • Power tilt and telescopic steering column
    • Micro-filter ventilation system with replaceable filters
    • Front LED map lights and rear LED reading lights
    • Front sun visors with LED illuminated mirrors
    • Dual front USB ports for media and power
    • Crash sensor for high voltage disconnect
    • Frunk and rear cargo area release handles

yay, something to brighten my morning!

Three spoke, multi-function steering wheel with tactile controls

i wonder if them quoting this as standard means the X-style wheel might be in an upgrade?

*edit* some things I found:

• Confirmation of playback types: 200 watt, seven speaker stereo system with AM/FM/HD radio. Supports MP3, AAC, and MP4 music formats. System includes four speakers, two tweeters and one center channel speaker. Flash memory storage for up to 500 songs.
  • Not sure if it was previously *confirmed* but cruise control is good to go
  • Power windows featuring one-touch up and down with resistance reversing to protect against pinched fingers -- wasnt there talk of beheadings? Tesla listened :D
  • Automatic climate control with dual zone temperature settings, air distribution controls and recirculation - Love dual zone!
  • Driver and front passenger seat sensors - they can use this to detect if there's a passenger and disable or enable the web if need be
  • Horn. Beep. Beep. - haha

oh and:

Manual folding side mirrors

Guess no power folding mirrors, or not available on base cars (maybe tech package?)

Last edited:
Guess no power folding mirrors, or not available on base cars (maybe tech package?)
Yea, saw that. I remember somebody months ago (here or maybe on Tesla's forum) calling it a deal breaker if they weren't powered. I practically did a spit take. Deal breaker, really? Whatever floats their boat I guess.
Love the "Horn. Beep Beep!!" great touch you'd never see from the Big 3
Yea, that was hilarious. Gave me a nice smile to start my day!

Last edited:
Yea, saw that. I remember somebody months ago (here or maybe on Tesla's forum) calling it a deal breaker if they weren't powered. I practically did a spit take. Deal breaker, really? Whatever floats their boat I guess.

They're really great to have -- when you need them. In my case anyhow, I rarely need them. I can't imagine turning down everything the Model S has to offer because you can't be a$$ed to push your mirror in when you get out.

That said, I hope they're optional.

Nice marketing touch back on the options page:

incredible.jpg

Thanks, Tesla! Beep, Beep.

Double wishbone, virtual steer axis coil spring front suspension and independent multi-link coil spring rear suspension

So, traditional spring suspension after all as standard. Not "passive air suspension" as some of us speculated.

Anti-theft alarm system

Good to have this as standard. Most luxury sedan makers/dealers quote $400 or more for this.

System includes four speakers, two tweeters and one center channel speaker.

No dedicated subwoofer?! One'd have to get the Sound Studio Package option (with the Dolby 7.1 system) for that, I guess.

And, "frunk" is official!! WhiteKnight, can you ask for some royalty payments there?! :wink:

Things excluded that I'm happy aren't included:

• Pedestrian alert noisemaker
"Standard features" missing that some have hoped for:

• Front fog lights? LED foglights are part of the Tech Package, so I assumed that standard fog lights were part of the base
  • Heated side mirrors
  • Storage compartments in doors
  • Ambiance lighting
  • Rear cupholders (likely an oversight in the list)
  • 12-V power outlet in frunk and/or rear cargo area
  • Automatic tilt-down of passenger's side-view mirror while in Reverse
Also, no discussion yet of warranty, other than for the battery.

They're really great to have -- when you need them. In my case anyhow, I rarely need them. I can't imagine turning down everything the Model S has to offer because you can't be a$$ed to push your mirror in when you get out.

That said, I hope they're optional.

I don't mind not having them, especially when you consider that all the little things like the auto folding mirrors (and auto lift gate for that matter) all add weight, reduce reliability and add up to reduce range. We shouldn't take for granted some of the steps tesla makes to keep the car as light as it is.