Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Specs and Standard Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the "standardized song" is 4MB. I seem to recall that 1 minute of MP3 is about 1MB in 128bit or 196bit. So that makes the standardized song 4 minutes long.
And that in turn means either 2GB or 16GB of storage. I can sort of understand the tiny included storage, but for a big ticket item like the upgraded sound system anything less than 64GB is just plain cheap, and that's not the response Tesla should get from their customers.

Cobos

Yeah. I can't imagine those were correct numbers. But he got them from somewhere ... *shrug*

Well the 16GB for the Sound Studio Package is the real deal, just based on the numbers they gave. Lets assume 128kbps bit rate, which is 16kBps or 960kB/min. If you use 5 minutes as the average song that's 4.8MB per song. 3,000 songs at that size is 14.4GB. Certainly they could have used different values (e.g. 192kbps or 4 minutes per song) but the consensus here seems to be that 5MB per song is usually used as an approximation. It's also the consensus here that 16GB is way too little, especially for the Premium Sound package. The Model S is an amazing automobile overall, but there's no harm in calling foul when there's a glaring shortcoming such as this. I suggest everyone displeased by Tesla's confounding decision to only include 16GB in the premium audio package contact them and let them know you expect more out of a nearly $1000 upgrade.

It is extremely likely that the issue is that the music system is designed around a chipset that only supports 32GB SDHC cards. Changing chipsets late in the game would be a huge endeavor. The 16GB number is probably what is left after apps/code/maps, etc. That's the way my 2012 VW is. Since the chipsets are mostly for tablets and phones - there are few other choices this year. It's not like a PC where you can jest get a bigger drive. I think anyone who wants more storage will need to wait for a hardware upgrade or plug something into USB.

It is extremely likely that the issue is that the music system is designed around a chipset that only supports 32GB SDHC cards. Changing chipsets late in the game would be a huge endeavor. The 16GB number is probably what is left after apps/code/maps, etc. That's the way my 2012 VW is. Since the chipsets are mostly for tablets and phones - there are few other choices this year. It's not like a PC where you can jest get a bigger drive. I think anyone who wants more storage will need to wait for a hardware upgrade or plug something into USB.

I'd be a little surprised if they were using an SDHC for both the main storage and music. For one, they could have went with embedded flash chips. There's no reason to use SDHC cards, as they are used in applications where the user needs to expand the storage (why use it for storage that is intended to be fixed?). Also, if that were the case, any updates (whether to the maps, system files, etc.) or newly installed apps would further cut into the space used for music. And if the user has the ability to use a large USB flash drive, so too could they have simply used a flash chip that interfaces with the USB host controller.