Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect it's to preserve battery life so that they aren't discharged too quickly. 6.5 second sprint isn't that bad especially with the torque curve of an electric motor the power will be instant.
Presumably the current Roadster uses the same battery tech (or worse) than the 40kWh Model S battery, so it's hard to believe it couldn't handle fast discharge.

A more real-world scenario would be driving in standard mode where you use 80% of the pack capacity and have some 10% spare to reach your target

Maybe that assumption is not correct, since most people will charge to full capacity if they know they are going to drive a far stretch.

For myself personally: I usually know at least a day ahead how much distance to travel the next day, so I would always charge using range mode if needed.

PS: Thanks for the numbers, very enlightening.

Last edited:
*) My conclusion: If you want to make road trips with the 40kWh model at highway speeds and the pack is operating inside warranted parameters, and you replenish 80% of pack capacity (the fastest way to charge) at any stop, you need charge points spaced every 75 miles apart.

Until the pack is 6-9 years old and then you need them 50 miles apart because you've lost one-third of your battery capacity.

Thanks for all the numbers!

I suspect it's to preserve battery life so that they aren't discharged too quickly. 6.5 second sprint isn't that bad especially with the torque curve of an electric motor the power will be instant.

It's the same thing as with supercharging: The fact that the larger packs can more easily support common use, which leads to the longer mileage in the warranty, means that it gives Tesla more space in balancing battery life with how much high-C-rate use they can allow.

Presumably the current Roadster uses the same battery tech (or worse) than the 40kWh Model S battery, so it's hard to believe it couldn't handle fast discharge.

As someone pointed out somewhere, the number of cells in the battery will be the main factor that determines how quickly the power can come out. The 40kWh battery will have less of the same cells than the roadster (53-57kWh)...

Except the Model S is much heavier than the Roadster. It's ~900 amps to get to 0-60 in 5.6 (and ~1300 to do it in 4.4) on the Model S. Roadster 0-60 in 3.7 is only ~700 IIRC.

As someone pointed out somewhere, the number of cells in the battery will be the main factor that determines how quickly the power can come out. The 40kWh battery will have less of the same cells than the roadster (53-57kWh)...
Ah, that makes sense. Going from 40->60kWh is a big jump in performance. Or, conversely, the 40kWh has a pretty big performance hit from expectations before the options were released.

The Model S is a much bigger, heavier vehicle. Roadster 56kWh pack is 1.4x bigger than 40kWh, so 3.9s turns into 5.5s before thinking about how extra weight will slow you down even more.

(Edit: I see others made the same point while I was working on my post...)

Just to add a bit of math to explain the difference in performance imposed by pack limits.

Roadster is rated at 288hp(215kW)

Using a pack size of 53.75 kWh and 100% efficiency results in a 4C discharge rate.

So Model S power available per pack size at the same C rate is as follows:

40kWh = 214hp (160kW)
60kWh = 322hp (240kW)
85kWh = 456hp (340kW)

Just to add a bit of math to explain the difference in performance imposed by pack limits.

Roadster is rated at 288hp(215kW)

Using a pack size of 53.75 kWh and 100% efficiency results in a 4C discharge rate.

So Model S power available per pack size at the same C rate is as follows:

40kWh = 214hp (160kW)
60kWh = 322hp (240kW)
85kWh = 456hp (340kW)
I figured we would have this issue back in the discussion about Model S horsepower, a couple of months ago:
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6421-Horsepower?p=85161&viewfull=1#post85161

I was already wondering how Tesla can maintain the same HP for all three models given the pack size of the base model is relatively low. I assumed maybe the lower weight would help, but I guess not.

Where is that ultra-cap front end buffer when you need it?
Well, I guess the point of the small pack is entry level pricing, so it would probably be cost prohibitive even if technically possible.

I guess they have room in the pack for more cells, so maybe it would have made sense to use more power dense, but less energy dense cells?
I wonder what it would be like if they filled a ModelS tray with A123 cells?

Where is that ultra-cap front end buffer when you need it?
Well, I guess the point of the small pack is entry level pricing, so it would probably be cost prohibitive even if technically possible.

I guess they have room in the pack for more cells, so maybe it would have made sense to use more power dense, but less energy dense cells?
Both approaches (ultra-caps or more powerful cells) will increase the pack cost, which is counter productive to the goal of an entry level model. The only free advantage is that the reduced weight from less cells helps the acceleration time a bit (but apparently not enough).

The GM Volt has a ~600lbs pack with nominal capacity of 24kWh and accessible capacity of 16kWh. The Volt is $40k, the Cruze is $17k. I attribute $15k to the pack and $8k to the hybrid drive train components.

I figure you can stuff a little more weight into Model S, let's say 800lbs. Nominal capacity would increase to 32kWh, the accessible capacity to 20kWh. Pack cost to $20k That pack could deliver a helluva lot of power, perhaps 600kW, and deal with severe quick charging ~150kW. But the pack is very expensive and range would be around 100 miles.

You get a 100 miler for $50k. That's not the points towards Tesla is engineering their cars.

A123 cells are not for laptops but for cordless tools :cool:

Anyone know what the curb weights of the Model S with its various battery packs are? We heard 3825lbs, but that's got to be the 40kWh pack version. What about the 60 and 85 kWh packs?

There's some mixed up stuff here:

Curb Weight 3825 lbs

here:

The body panels and chassis will be primarily aluminum, with a total weight of just over 4,000 pounds, about 1,200 pounds of that being battery mass.

and here:

According to the company, the Tesla Model S will have up to 300 miles of range, a 4900-pound curb weight, and expected acceleration to 60 mph of 5.6 seconds.

:confused:

Why would you blame 3 different "journalists" reporting different numbers on Tesla?
A simple explanation for the 4900 pound number is misunderstanding when you are told: "The car is about 3900 pounds, of which 1000 pounds is battery" and adding them together.

Yes, since the 40 kWh pack has less cells in it that must account for the 3,825 figure and then the "just over 4,000 pounds" comes from Elon.

I think the 40 kWh pack has 2/3 the cells of the 60 kWh pack. If the big pack is 1,200 then the smaller pack is probably 800 for a difference of 400 pounds.

3,825 + 400 = 4,225 which would still be low enough for Elon to say "just over 4,000 pounds."

The 4,900 figure is clearly wrong although it has been mentioned in more than one place. For comparison's sake a BMW 528i weighs 3,814 pounds.