Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, just tried some math:

I've read here that the 40kWh pack uses 2.2AH batteries. The 85kWh pack uses 3.1AH batteries.

That works out to about 5050 batteries in the 40kWh pack and 7616 batteries in the 85kWh pack. Both very approximate, of course. From the Panasonic spec sheet, the 2.2AH batteries weight 44grams each and the 3.1AH batteries weigh 45.5 grams each.

Thus the difference between the two is 765lbs-490lbs, or 275lbs difference.

Given that the Roadster battery, with 6831 cells weighs 990lbs, battery weight is about 2/3 of the pack weight. The question is whether the high capacity pack has more "packaging" which also increases weight. So, one guess is that the 85kWh pack weighs about 360lbs more than the 40kWh pack. Pretty close to WhiteKnight's guess.

Different top speeds:
Tesla in final stages of Model S prep; readying Supercharger network for road trips
tesla-model-s-battery-stats-628.jpg

Has anyone looked at the the dimensions of the 19" tires on the betas? I couldn't find any posts mentioning it.
I took a picture of the tire on the black vehicle in Bellevue. It had P245/45R19 on the rear; with "Eagle RS" (perhaps more, 2nd picture is too dark). IIRC, the front was the same (which is why I didn't take a 3rd picture).

I'll confess that I've never swapped tires seasonally on a car. Is the general practice to have two sets of rims?

I don't think most people do it since it requires some effort and a place to store your other rims. You can get better tires that way as winter tires will have better traction in snow and ice than all-season tires. When I lived in the midwest, I just drove with good all season tires and that seemed to work.

Is there a need to rebalance or realign if you change out one wheel set for the other?

I have never felt the need to rebalance once the tires are on the rims, but maybe I should.
In quebec there are laws governing when you can have winter tires and at the deadlines for the start of each period (worst for winter) there is a rush for everyone to get their tires changed. It is much more convenient if the tires are already mounted whether you swap the wheels yourself or get it done (the shops can slip you in easier).

I don't think most people do it since it requires some effort and a place to store your other rims.

I usually store my other rims inside the snow tires so they don't really take up any more room than the snow tires. The main benefit for me, at least, is that I can do the swap myself.

It's also common to have snow tires that are narrower than your summer performance tires and, perhaps, with thicker side walls.

But to each his, or her, own.

Speaking of tire change and shops, are those car lifts (or whatever you call them) used in places like Costco or Big O Tires easy on the battery pack, or will Tesla Motors release a list of recommended car shops that won't damage the pack?

Good question. Every lift I have seen places the lift arms on the side of the car, just under the door sills. I'm not sure how far out to the edge the battery pack extends, but I suspect it would be fine.