Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S specs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I heard someone at Tesla mention during the Model S unveiling that the door handles were designed that way to help further reduce drag.

As far as I know aerodynamics has a greater impact on range than weight.

This nut's been cracked so many times I don't know why they even bothered making them so high-tech. At least with the Aston Martin version, you can still get in the car if the battery dies.

My favorite kind (which i couldn't find online) was a fingertrap thing that you would slip your hand into...

Last edited:
Cars like the GT-R have push and pull designs that are already very flush and ideal for drag.

Here it is...
112080322z2009nissangtr.jpg

...in operation:
nissangtrhandle555.jpg

Fun Thread. It needs a Tesla Roadster.

Agreed, except that thread's on Jalopnik so the odds of that happening are currently near-zero. :frown:

No idea. I was just searching through old presentations around the internet, and noticed that 4.4s quote for sport from over a year ago, with no target date for release. The original press releases said 0-60 < 6s for standard Model S, then revised later to < 5.7s, and now it seems 5.6s.
I wonder if 4.4s still holds as the target for the sport variant?

Sport; 4.4s
That's BMW M5, MBenz E36 AMG territory, so good targets to set. $86k is the price point for those two.

There's an interesting characteristic that may play into which version of the Model S may be the "Sport". As the pack gets larger, the power available also gets larger. It may be necessary for the "Sport" version to have the 300 mile pack in order to have enough power for the target performance.

Edit: just saw the update

Last edited:
That would be amazing if the sport model were available at launch, at least for the signature edition as an option. If it truly is just a motor swap and maybe firmware difference, I don't see why they couldn't make a limited number available for the Signature Series and then work on making more available for the second model year. I guess we'll know next year sometime.

IMHO all of the Signatures should be Sports and should be loaded. Otherwise what are they going to do to make it "Special" ? A badge - big deal !!

Exactly. The Signature series is supposed to start with the 230 mile pack but that alone should not be all it comes with (along with the special badge). It should be basically loaded except for maybe a few cosmetic upgrade options. I don't think the sport version was supposed to be available the first model year but I'm hoping they provide it at least for the Signature series customers to make it a little more special then once production is through it's first year, make it an option.

Thalass: I don't believe the Model S is supposed to be AWD the first model year but someone correct me if I have that wrong.

The original info about AWD is so old that it is hard to know what they are planning now.
But, yeah, I think the intention was it wouldn't necessarily be available right at the start of production.
Now that they have "Model X" (SUV) in the pipeline maybe they are planning to have that model be the launch platform for AWD?

For an electric, adding all-wheel drive is a whole lot easier. I assume Fisker Karma is still being
fitted with PML Flightlink in-wheel electric motors. I assume Tesla avoided those because of cost
considerations, but I have no word of that. Inwheels should provide for the best performing traction
control and the Flightlink motors weigh no more than your standard disk brake system, providing for
zero weight costs electric motors. I'll try to verify Karma's use of Flightlinks.