Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S spotted with Model 3 Wheels, AWD tested?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw an AP1 Model S 90D today with manufacturer plates, wearing the 19” Model 3 wheels and with brakes and calipers that look like our Model 3’s, not like our S’s. Only thing I can think of is they’re testing the Model 3 wheels and brakes on an AWD powertrain?

Seen on a university campus in San Luis Obispo, CA. Will add more pics when I figure out how!

Edit: title should say “AWD Testbed”, mods can you change this?

I heard that the bolt pattern for the Model 3 wheels was slightly different from the bolt pattern for the Model S so I'm surprised to see this combination.
Correct, the 3 bolt pattern is 5x114.3 and the S and X are 5x120. If it's a test car, I'm sure they could just swap the whole wheel end from the 3 to make it work. Very weird though.

Although maybe is just a random S owner that likes the 3 wheels. There are adapter out there that can change the pattern.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Correct, the 3 bolt pattern is 5x114.3 and the S and X are 5x120. If it's a test car, I'm sure they could just swap the whole wheel end from the 3 to make it work. Very weird though.

Although maybe is just a random S owner that likes the 3 wheels. There are adapter out there that can change the pattern.
Car had manufacturer plates.

• Informative
Reactions: tracksyde
Presumably there are no Model 3 with dual-motor yet, so an S90D with swapped wheels (and who knows what else) was next-best for whatever it is they're testing
If the bolt pattern is different, you can't "just swap wheels". They would have to have swapped the rotors and calipers in order to mount the M3 wheels to them. If the spindles and bearings are the same on both cars, that might have been fairly easy.