TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S - Spy Shots

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by WhiteKnight, Jun 27, 2011.

1. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight _____ P85 #549 _____ Sig Red / Sig White

2012 Tesla Model S Prototype Spy Shots: Exclusive

The guy posting these pics makes it sound like this is "closer that the Alpha build" to the final Model S, but it looks to me like it's got camouflage and some parts missing (like the door handles).

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

3. clea

clea Member

and the grill is more similar to the alpha in the video they published and still no sign of a charge port ...

4. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yeah, that just looks like one of the first Alphas to me. I suppose saying "in closer-to-production form than you've ever seen it" will excite more readers...

5. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#5 AnOutsider, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
    Which is it

In any case... I really do not like the S in black. Since the shots in black began showing up, my excitement for the car has dropped considerably :(

6. howabout2

howabout2 Member

I disagree; I love the official press shots despite their heavy processing. I will agree the shots of beat-up Alphas without their accents do look dull. But then I look again at the official press shots and I think, "that is a beautiful car in black."

That said, despite black being the default color I will always consider in any car purchase, I am really looking forward to the color palette, especially to see if they have some good exotic colors.

7. Laurent

Laurent Member

#7 Laurent, Jun 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016
    Looks like the one I spotted on Hwy 280 in Cupertino.

8. widodh

widodh Model S R231 EU

So, who's going to do a stake-out with a better camera and bring us some better pictures?

9. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Someone without a life. :wink:

10. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

#10 Lloyd, Jun 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
    Here is a picture of a model S that I don't think I have seen before.

[​IMG]

11. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Not sure why Shannon used that picture, she should know better. That's a photoshop guess from one of the car mags at what the Model S would look like some time before it's unveiling.

12. Miss Electric

Miss Electric New Member

Thanks Doug for tipping me to that. I had not realized the pic was photo shopped. I'd like to replace it with one of the newer pics, since that particular article gets a lot of web traffic.

13. Miss Electric

Miss Electric New Member

photoshopped - obviously the spell check does not like those two words together :) either way...they did a pretty darn good job making that pic look real!

14. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

Shannon, Road and Track came up with that image back in October of 2008. Amazing how long it's persisted. The public finally saw what the car looked like by March 2009, yet that R&T photoshop still pops up.

Anyhow, I think these new "Spy Shots" are just the same Alphas we've already seen.

15. ckessel

ckessel Active Member

Man, the more I look at that spy/alpha shots versus the prototype, the alpha version looks like the less curvy, chubbier sibling. I'm looking at them side by side on my screen. The prototype nose was more rounded top to bottom where the lower part of the alpha nose sticks out more. The hood slides gently to the window and roof in the prototype, the alpha has steeper angle at the window. The rear is really squared off on the alpha where the prototype is smoother. The can change various details from alpha to beta, but it seems like the core angles have changed in a way that really lost the subtle lines in the prototype :(.

16. Tommy

Tommy Member

17. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

I don't see a charge port! Where did it go???

18. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

The consensus (across threads on this forum) is that, in the alpha, the charge port (temporarily) is somewhere inside while, in the beta and production, it's rumored to be somewhere "cool" and "gadgety" (think of the front Tesla badge popping up to reveal it or some such thing)! :)

19. strider

strider Active Member

Yes. In the "Alpha Workshop" pictures/video that went around a few months ago the charge port was a Roadster connector in the trunk. I'm assuming we won't see charge ports until betas.

20. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

You can see the charge plug in the back of the S here. (you may have to blow up the image) Rear hatch is open. On inside of the left rear quarter panel you can see the round black plug on a silver bracket with two orange leads going to it. (just above the foam bumper in the foreground) Looks like interior access only. teslaalphatourfrontend2.jpg
    Of course this would be a silly place to mount a plug in the final version.

Or is it? :wink: