Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S - Spy Shots

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They are pressure relief valves. They keep from blowing your ear drums when someone closes the trunk. All cars have something like this in some shape or form. They are normally hidden under the bumper skin, so this car does not have the bumper skin on.

That cylinder looks like a reservoir for the air suspension. Most ac receiver dryers are part or attached to the condensers.

Thanks for the info!

How does the system for manufacturer license plates work in California? This looks like the same plate on a Roadster and two different Model S's...

They aren't the same plate. For instance if you look closely you may see that one has "2A" and another "3A". Basically each manufacturer gets issued a bunch of plates with the same manufacturer number, and then individual plate identifiers. But I think the manufacturer can move them from vehicle to vehicle, so in some cases you may well see the same plate reused.

Tesla is a "one stop shop" so they probably have distributor and possibly dealer plates as well.

Something about the rear of the silver one caught my eye at the end of the video. So I paused at the 1:30 mark at compared with Design Studio and observed three things:
1. In Design Studio, the left tail light assembly has a white "G" shape. The red glow in the tail lights in the video seem to be in the exact location of the white "G". It looks like the lights are different. Maybe inside the "G" there's a red light that's really bright when lit, and thus it really is the same assembly. Dunno.
2. In Design Studio, below the silver portion of the bumper (into the black portion) there are two red areas. I guess they are reflectors rather than lights, because they don't show up in the video.
3. Still no hint of the front license plate solution. :|

Something about the rear of the silver one caught my eye at the end of the video. So I paused at the 1:30 mark at compared with Design Studio and observed three things:
1. In Design Studio, the left tail light assembly has a white "G" shape. The red glow in the tail lights in the video seem to be in the exact location of the white "G". It looks like the lights are different. Maybe inside the "G" there's a red light that's really bright when lit, and thus it really is the same assembly. Dunno.
Haven't watched the video but I recall from looking at the Beta at Menlo that the inner portion of the light can be white (back-up lights) or red (running and brake lights) so it is the same "light pipe".

Something about the rear of the silver one caught my eye at the end of the video.

The silver one was an *Alpha* version, so you shouldn't take anything from that. The video only shows clips of cars already filmed some time back.

Still no hint of the front license plate solution. :|

As far as the cars are concerned: This is "old" film...

Last edited:
Well, if it's a chronicle of the build process thus far, showing the various states of the car is ok. If there's anything I'd complain about, it's them using the prototype on tours when the alphas and betas were about.
As you stated, it's aimed to be a marketing clip.

Around the 1:33 mark, the voiceover is saying "we aimed to produce the best sedan in the marketplace and we have" while the prototype silver is passing by. It's pretty easy to make the assertion that they're implying that they're going to be producing *that* car.

It just seems a mistake to fool around with public perception or legal ramifications when it's easily avoided by using newer footage (betas or later).

Edit: To be clear, my concern is not as a pending buyer. I'm concerned as a party interested in Tesla surviving and succeeding.

Last edited:
I think we're probably obsessing over things casual Tesla folks won't know or notice later. I think the video is just mostly a "hey, we're coming out with this soon" rather than a development update, hence we aren't really the intended audience for the clip.

Those of us following the Model S and can tell the subtle differences between prototype/alpha/beta already know it is a mix of old footage. Those who don't even know it is old footage won't be able to spot all the little differences, nor will they care.