Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Squeaks, Creaks, and Rattles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i had similar problems with certain part of the car, such as front lower dash panels around the stirring wheel. I took them apart and placed a thin foam around the clips, so the panels can be clipped back on tighter. And the nose were gone. Hope this help.

Almost all of my service work has been for squeaks, creaks, and rattles. They've fixed squeaks in the door panels, dash, speaker grills, headliner, pano roof bow, and tailgate plastic trim. Tesla has attempted to fix the squeak in my pano roof 5 or 6 times, but can't seem to fix it.

My early 2013 car has been surprisingly good in this regard. I have a very minor squeak in the dash right above the 17", but another forum member has told me of a very simple DIY fix that I just haven't gotten to. The biggest issue with my car is road noise. I think newer cars have better sound insulation, but even my 86 year old hard-of-hearing mother commented on how she can "hear the tires" when she sits in the back seat.

My early 2013 car has been surprisingly good in this regard. I have a very minor squeak in the dash right above the 17", but another forum member has told me of a very simple DIY fix that I just haven't gotten to. The biggest issue with my car is road noise. I think newer cars have better sound insulation, but even my 86 year old hard-of-hearing mother commented on how she can "hear the tires" when she sits in the back seat.

Out of curiosity, what tires are you using? I have The Conti Silent tires on my S85 and am amazed how much louder the Michelins are on the loaners I get.

Out of curiosity, what tires are you using? I have The Conti Silent tires on my S85 and am amazed how much louder the Michelins are on the loaners I get.

My car came with the Goodyear RS-A2s but something weird happened. After about a year and a half, the tires got really loud... like they were big knobby off-road tires, even at parking lot speeds. I had a tire shop look at them (found no evidence of uneven wear etc), re-balance them but the noise persisted. I ended up replacing them with the Michelin MXM4s that Tesla now uses as OEM tires. They are much quieter, but I think early cars didn't have much in the way of sound insulation. My car is, at least to my ear, louder than my previous ICE was on the freeway. I don't have any air leaks, but hear the wind rushing over the car and the sound of the tires quite prominently.

The SC here fixed about 5 creaks and rattles on my 2013 classic MS...two of them I didn't even notice. They even called me to bring the car in when I posted on the forum about them. I can tell that my new 70D is built much better than the first cars and am carefully listening for any new "sounds". Am confident the SC will fix anything I find, if I find anything!

My summer 2013 car had all kinds of squeaks and rattles and it took numerous visits to the service center to get 'em all.

Things have been relatively quiet since. . . . until a couple months ago. Now I am increasingly hearing rattles and creaks from the front of the car. Not squeaks, nothing high pitched. No, this time it's deeper sounds, as if the entire dashboard is coming apart as I drive even super-slow (5mph) in my driveway or in a parking lot.

Thanks to the stupid auto dealer protectionist laws in my state, I can't just make an appointment and hop over to the local service center. I'd have to drive or get a Ranger to tow my car 8 hours to Denver.

So I guess I have to live with this damn noise now.

I have the same unresolved issues since day 1 basically. Passenger side b pillar and C pillar rattles. Lift gate rattles. The interior paneling is coming off the passenger C pillar now... Like it was held together by cheap epoxy. Gasket coming off the driver side rear door. Rattling seat belts. One around the glove box. Most of my service visits have been for the rattles as well. Some are in the summer. Some are in the winter. Rattles for all seasons of the year! I try to live with them or turn the music up.

Passenger side b pillar and C pillar rattles. Lift gate rattles. The interior paneling is coming off the passenger C pillar now... Like it was held together by cheap epoxy. Gasket coming off the driver side rear door. Rattling seat belts. One around the glove box. Most of my service visits have been for the rattles as well.

B Pillar rattle and seat belt rattle might be the same thing. Have they added the clear teflon tape to the mechanism? That fixed my issue with that noise.

Is it the C pillar trim piece with the alcantara/headliner material? My drivers side one wasn't attached all the way. Pressed it and it snapped in (one clip wasn't pressed in during initial assembly I guess). That one took a while to find, but got rid of a lot of noise.

Has anyone experienced a creak on the drivers seat back? As I brake and put less pressure on the seat in the lower back, it creaks and is replicable. I've mentioned this to the service center before and they said their technician can't replicate it, and on the second time of me mentioning to the service advisor, they saw me replicate the sound, but didn't fix. They basically said just adjust the lower lombar so it goes away. I don't think that's the right solution as my seat as the seat is only comfortable to me in that position. They've fixed a couple of my sunroof and dashboard creaks, but just not the seat. Any suggestions? It's creak is the most annoying as it happens on every drive.

Has anyone experienced a creak on the drivers seat back? As I brake and put less pressure on the seat in the lower back, it creaks and is replicable. I've mentioned this to the service center before and they said their technician can't replicate it, and on the second time of me mentioning to the service advisor, they saw me replicate the sound, but didn't fix. They basically said just adjust the lower lombar so it goes away. I don't think that's the right solution as my seat as the seat is only comfortable to me in that position. They've fixed a couple of my sunroof and dashboard creaks, but just not the seat. Any suggestions? It's creak is the most annoying as it happens on every drive.

Ask again. Say you've asked 2x already, and demonstrated it before. Tell your service adviser to get a tech, and demonstrate the sound in front of both the tech and service adviser.

• Funny
Reactions: Snerruc
B Pillar rattle and seat belt rattle might be the same thing. Have they added the clear teflon tape to the mechanism? That fixed my issue with that noise.

Is it the C pillar trim piece with the alcantara/headliner material? My drivers side one wasn't attached all the way. Pressed it and it snapped in (one clip wasn't pressed in during initial assembly I guess). That one took a while to find, but got rid of a lot of noise.

Regarding seat belt mechanism noise: it is not rattle, it is friction of seat belt against opening it retracts through. Based on trils0n's post (thanks!) I put clear teflon tape on the entire bottom of opening where belt runs across it. Noise gone. For $6.00 on amazon, I don't need to wait for a service visit! Plus, I've got remainder of roll, so I can fix again if it comes loose or wears through.

A Pillar Rattle help needed!!!

A-Pillar issue. Help! These rattles have been relatively consistent since my purchase in Sept 2013. 50,000 miles later, they are no worse and no better. I've taken it in to the service center no less than 5 times. Still not resolved. One technician in Torrance had the gaul to tell me that there was no rattle and that it was probably something in my head. They thought it was the seat belt mechanism right behind my left ear (and addressed that issue), but that wasn't it either. I believe the rattle is in the A-Pillar (possibly on both the driver's and passenger's side). It seems to occur when weather is changing (though not sure if it's more noticeable in warm or cold weather). The road surface definitely impacts the sound as a smooth service will rarely make this noise audible. My guess is that it has something to do with the area where the airbag system is funneled. Maybe the hoses expand and contract as the weather changes. I would pay almost any price to get rid of this nuisance. Any help out there please.

A-Pillar issue. Help! These rattles have been relatively consistent since my purchase in Sept 2013. 50,000 miles later, they are no worse and no better. I've taken it in to the service center no less than 5 times. Still not resolved. One technician in Torrance had the gaul to tell me that there was no rattle and that it was probably something in my head. They thought it was the seat belt mechanism right behind my left ear (and addressed that issue), but that wasn't it either. I believe the rattle is in the A-Pillar (possibly on both the driver's and passenger's side). It seems to occur when weather is changing (though not sure if it's more noticeable in warm or cold weather). The road surface definitely impacts the sound as a smooth service will rarely make this noise audible. My guess is that it has something to do with the area where the airbag system is funneled. Maybe the hoses expand and contract as the weather changes. I would pay almost any price to get rid of this nuisance. Any help out there please.

A pillar rattles have been a constant nuisance to me as well, with multiple service visits failing to fix them. My last (nearly 3 week long) service visit seems to have fixed the rattle (and almost all the other squeaks and rattles).

Interestingly, there is no note in my service invoice about what was performed to fix the A pillar rattle. All mentions of the A pillar are for wind noise (there was none) but Tesla applied a few fixes and service bulletins for A pillar wind noise. Perhaps during those operations they took apart the A pillar and whatever they did fixed the squeak.

The other mention of the A pillar squeak on my service records indicates they removed all the dash vents and applied NVH tape, and removed the dash itself and added tape. Those items all squeaked, but not sure why they noticed that service under the 'Customer notes rattle from A pillar' -- perhaps they thought I was misidentifying the source of the sound.

The other possibility is the Pano Roof interacting with the Curtain Airbag (I believe the curtain airbag is the one in the A pillar). In fixing my pano roof squeaks one fix (SB-13-24-004) included applied felt tape between the curtain airbag and the pano roof track.