Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Squeaks, Creaks, and Rattles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a rattle in the rear lift gate just to the left of the license plate area. It was the camera wire harness. The tech removed an access plug and tied the wire harness with a zip tie. Also some creaking from near the driver side air vent when cold. Pushing on the trim stops it. It must be the pieces of trim moving, probably needs some felt between them.

My rattle mystery is solved... the coolant cap was not screwed onto the coolant reservoir, and was rattling around (coolant level was also low, and required ~3 pints to bring I to the middle of the min/max range).

Just to clarify: you really mean coolant? So this was discovered by the Tesla ranger or something or did you do it yourself and risk the warranty? Just wondering what it really took to fix your rattle and it wasn't clear to me if you took it to a service center, had a ranger come out, or did it yourself.

Cheers

Just to clarify: you really mean coolant? So this was discovered by the Tesla ranger or something or did you do it yourself and risk the warranty? Just wondering what it really took to fix your rattle and it wasn't clear to me if you took it to a service center, had a ranger come out, or did it yourself.

Cheers
i took it in to the Menlo Park service center to get a couple things checked - this was one of them. Service manager took a short ride with me to hear the rattle. He then found and resolved the problem, after I had coincidentally mentioned the coolant alarm which sounded momentarily a couple times over the past 2 weeks.

I have a slight rattle in my steering wheel - specifically on the left side with the buttons. If I keep my hand on there it goes away, so I know here the problem is. Not sure exactly what to do about it. Anyone else come across this (or have an idea for a fix?)

I too noticed a slight rattle in/under my steering wheel and its on my "to be fixed" list with Tesla. They test drove (without me there) and could not duplicate. Its only noticeable on rough pavement.

Interesting your observation that it has is coming from the steering wheel buttons? I'll check mine next time.

You should tell your Tesla service folks about it, they did not question me and told me they felt bad they could not duplicate. They are leaving it on my list and said next time I'm there for service they would ride with me and see if we can duplicate.