Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Squeaks, Creaks, and Rattles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tomas-

Rode part of the way home tonight with my hand wedged between the seat belt "receiver" and the door as well as between that and the seat. Still had the rattle. I have a feeling it's coming from within the pillar somehow. Maybe it's going to be one of those gremlins I am going to have to live with...

poke your finger in where the seatbelt comes out of the b-pillar and push the plastic piece that is straight back inside. I think this needs felt?

Took my car into the service center a few days ago for a different (12V) issue and after they fixed that I asked if they would do a rattle-extomy. Went for a test drive and found the following:

(1) passenger air vent was rattling (fixed with a bit of stick backed thin foam tape. works great now, invisible fix).
(2) rattle below the 17" screen: turned out to be my box of altoids :redface:
(3) rattle under drivers seat: technician came back and said "looks like your attempt to get rid of a headache caused you one". :confused: Then he held up a plastic bottle of Advil caplets that had fallen under the seat and was making the noise.

Oops.

None the less they were gracious and gave me excellent service.

My passenger side visor is loose in it's holder (the thing you'd pop it out of to swivel it towards your side window) and is a bit squeaky over bumps. I've simply popped it out of the holder and leave it that way at this point.

Guys... i had both of the two most common rattle/creaks the Model S produces... the drivers side seat belt tensioner rattle, and the pano roof creak.

THIS FIXED BOTH OF THEM INSTANTLY:

just spray this stuff liberally. everywhere.

$7 and much more convenient than giving your car back to Tesla for however long. I'll report back if the noises return, but the car is silent as a mouse after a few days now...

I went this route with my 2 prior cars, and this is definitely the "fix all" for sunroofs and squeaky door seals. Nice to know it worked for seat belts. Just be aware and don't get frustrated, you will have to repeat this procedure every couple of months. I also STRONGLY advise you thoroughly clean seals (sunroof, doors) each time before you spray. The spray will attract dirt, and after a few applications you will get buildup and it will not be as effective. ALSO be careful about overspray onto paint and other surfaces (may seem obvious, but it's really easy to get too enthusiastic with this stuff).

Okay, an update... I was wrong about the pano roof with the 3M Silicone spray. it has returned in full force. probably just disappeared for a couple days due to the warm weather those days.

it's more like a tic or a sticky sound. kind of like when you get a piece of gum stuck on the bottom of your shoe and when you lift your foot off a hardwood floor, it makes a "tic" sound. Or when you walk on a sticky movie theater floor. can't wait for it to get fixed. it happens on damn near every seam in the pavement. incidentally, i did not have this at all until two weekends ago, when i visited someone who lives on a dirt road. i think the increased flexing the car experienced on these rough roads loosened something.

The silicone spray didn't work on the seatbelt rattle either, but for a different reason. I FINALLY found the source of the seatbelt rattle. and it's NOT the tensioner or any mechanical part. Ready for this? The sound comes from the friction between the seat belt itself, and the piece of biege plastic that surrounds (covers) the seatbelt intake/tensioner. Basically, they are both dry, porous surfaces that tend to lightly "catch" when still. then, when your body moves ever so slightly and pulls (or pushes) that seatbelt against the plastic, it makes a very audible sound that sounds like a rattle. made worse by the fact that it's next to your ear.

so we need to come up with something to put over that piece of plastic, where the seatbelt rubs as it comes out of the opening. maybe some kind of smooth tape. will be hard to get it to look good. Tonight I am going to try a simple piece of scotch tape.

I will report back. sorry for crying wolf before. i will be more cautious from now on in reporting findings.

p.s. - this seat belt issue reminds me of maybe the only design/feature part of the car I do not like... the fact that the seat belt height is not adjustable. WTF?!?! Honda Civics have adjustable height seat belts! I'm 6'1", and i swear the edge of the seatbelt rests RIGHT on my carotid artery on my neck. very irritating. if I could lower it, not only would it not rub my neck raw, but I don't think it would rattle either as the belt would extend OUT and not touch the plastic covering, instead of currently where it extends DOWN and rubs both the plastic, and my neck.

Last edited:
Okay, an update... I was wrong about the pano roof with the 3M Silicone spray. it has returned in full force. probably just disappeared for a couple days due to the warm weather those days.

it's more like a tic or a sticky sound. kind of like when you get a piece of gum stuck on the bottom of your shoe and when you lift your foot off a hardwood floor, it makes a "tic" sound. Or when you walk on a sticky movie theater floor. can't wait for it to get fixed. it happens on damn near every seam in the pavement. incidentally, i did not have this at all until two weekends ago, when i visited someone who lives on a dirt road. i think the increased flexing the car experienced on these rough roads loosened something.

The silicone spray didn't work on the seatbelt rattle either, but for a different reason. I FINALLY found the source of the seatbelt rattle. and it's NOT the tensioner or any mechanical part. Ready for this? The sound comes from the friction between the seat belt itself, and the piece of biege plastic that surrounds (covers) the seatbelt intake/tensioner. Basically, they are both dry, porous surfaces that tend to lightly "catch" when still. then, when your body moves ever so slightly and pulls (or pushes) that seatbelt against the plastic, it makes a very audible sound that sounds like a rattle. made worse by the fact that it's next to your ear.

so we need to come up with something to put over that piece of plastic, where the seatbelt rubs as it comes out of the opening. maybe some kind of smooth tape. will be hard to get it to look good. Tonight I am going to try a simple piece of scotch tape.

I will report back. sorry for crying wolf before. i will be more cautious from now on in reporting findings.

p.s. - this seat belt issue reminds me of maybe the only design/feature part of the car I do not like... the fact that the seat belt height is not adjustable. WTF?!?! Honda Civics have adjustable height seat belts! I'm 6'1", and i swear the edge of the seatbelt rests RIGHT on my carotid artery on my neck. very irritating. if I could lower it, not only would it not rub my neck raw, but I don't think it would rattle either as the belt would extend OUT and not touch the plastic covering, instead of currently where it extends DOWN and rubs both the plastic, and my neck.

On the roof, I suggest you open completely, wipe down seals thoroughly with a microfiber cloth, and then re-apply silicone. I had a BMW 545 that was just horrible with seal noise, and bottom line was that it was caused by dirt and grit getting on seals. That foots with your problem appearing after driving down a dirt road.

Hope that works, if not please keep us posted!

creaking noise from driver's side passenger area

I notice creaking noise from driver's side passenger area when going over bumps.

Me too, see picture for the location. Did you find a fix?
crack.jpg

I had a creaking, cracking sound coming from that exact place! I've tried wedging a cloth in the gap between the dash and the window and pillar trying to isolate the sound, but it won't go away. Taking my car in next Wednesday, it's making me nuts.

I had a creaking, cracking sound coming from that exact place! I've tried wedging a cloth in the gap between the dash and the window and pillar trying to isolate the sound, but it won't go away. Taking my car in next Wednesday, it's making me nuts.

I have the same noise from the same spot, had it since I got the car. First I thought it was some static noise from the speaker. It seems to get worse after driving for a while, when it's hot.

Please let us know if they were able to fix it. I also have the seatbelt noise on the driver side.

Btw. What's your car's VIN range, you'd think they would have fixed the squeak issues on the production line by now.

All -

My pano roof is now creaking *a lot* - I sure hope they can tighter/grease it so it doesn't make so much noise.... It also creaks when open and at highway speeds from the wind...

As soon as the White Plains service center is open, I'm making an appointment...

Aaron

I also had the creaking sound from the pano. I made an appt. With the service center and they fixed it in 15 minutes.

I also had the creaking sound from the pano. I made an appt. With the service center and they fixed it in 15 minutes.

They 'fixed' mine as well, but it came back. They also 'fixed' the creaking from the area near the passenger dash/window/speaker, but
that came back too.

There are three common noise problems:

1. creaking pano roof
2. creaking from front passenger area in the area mlaureti indicates in the photo above
3. rattling (or, according to kinddog, scraping) near the driver seat belt tightener

It seems that not everyone has these problems, so they must be fixable.

I had my car in last week and was told there was a recent service
bulletin on how to fix these, but they didn't have the right materials so they couldn't do the work.

Permanently fixing these irritating noises, along with restoring sleep mode, should, in my opinion, be on the
very top of Tesla's "todo" list right now. The noises detract from the experience of driving the car (you find
yourself listening for the next creak), and the vampire draw is extremely wasteful (around 1/3 of my
total energy usage, ~4kwh per day, is used just to power the car sit as it sits in the garage).

I have the same noise from the same spot, had it since I got the car. First I thought it was some static noise from the speaker. It seems to get worse after driving for a while, when it's hot.

Please let us know if they were able to fix it. I also have the seatbelt noise on the driver side.

Btw. What's your car's VIN range, you'd think they would have fixed the squeak issues on the production line by now.

8700s for me