Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S standard wheels - hubcaps ??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own Dec 2016 Model S and looking to upgrade to refreshed MS but I am having hard time getting over standard 19” wheels with hubcaps?? Hate to spend extra 4.5k for 21” as I really prefer 19” or 20” all-season tires.

I wish Tesla had an option for decent 19” or 20” wheels, I don’t really about the efficiency gained by using hub caps.

1588816-00-A_0.jpg

I if they’re like the Model Y Gemini wheels, the wheels don’t look too bad under the covers IMHO.

Here's another 2020 MS showing the Gemini wheels. Without the hubcaps, they look OK.

View attachment 636931
I agree they are "ok", certainly better than the hubcaps. I far prefer the original Tesla 19" wheels. However, these will really look terrible with the new chrome-delete look, which would necessitate getting some type of powder coat. I really hope they come up with a better standard 19" later this year, for those of us who don't want 21s.

Slipstream wheels I currently have look much better I think. Can’t believe Tesla uses such cheap looking wheels on a 90k car. I really hope they do something about it.

Attachments

• 424CC34B-8DCA-4410-B132-E9F4E3AAA5BE.jpeg
    424CC34B-8DCA-4410-B132-E9F4E3AAA5BE.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 227
Whole-heartedly agree that the split spoke 19s were the best looking base wheels for the Model S. Hassle for sure, but you can find a decent set and finish them here/CL/eBay.
I use them as my winter set so didn’t mind playing with the color (Plasti-Dip) since they go on maybe 2wks/yr.

Attachments

• 8BF55A2C-F0D5-4BEA-BCA7-FEBA67E54A14.jpeg
    8BF55A2C-F0D5-4BEA-BCA7-FEBA67E54A14.jpeg
    399.3 KB · Views: 276
Whole-heartedly agree that the split spoke 19s were the best looking base wheels for the Model S. Hassle for sure, but you can find a decent set and finish them here/CL/eBay.
I use them as my winter set so didn’t mind playing with the color (Plasti-Dip) since they go on maybe 2wks/yr.
Interesting to see wheels with different color and chrome-delete. I like it. Rather than black wheels on a new Tesla model, I would probably go with gunmetal or such for some contrast.

PS-did you try to black-out the chrome on side mirrors?

Interesting to see wheels with different color and chrome-delete. I like it. Rather than black wheels on a new Tesla model, I would probably go with gunmetal or such for some contrast.

PS-did you try to black-out the chrome on side mirrors?
Gunmetal FTW. :)
I didn’t try the mirrors because I knew I’d mess it up so to speak since the rest was pure DIY. Dip is easy, but too much hassle/low ROI so if I do try, it’ll be with the vinyl I have left.

Attachments

• F7CD1AB9-0EE6-4ACC-9707-737619FDE449.jpeg
    F7CD1AB9-0EE6-4ACC-9707-737619FDE449.jpeg
    717.3 KB · Views: 215
I agree, the standard 19" wheels with hubcaps look like they belong on an economy car. It would be nice if Tesla had another option other than the 21" gray Arachnids.

I currently own Dec 2016 Model S and looking to upgrade to refreshed MS but I am having hard time getting over standard 19” wheels with hubcaps?? Hate to spend extra 4.5k for 21” as I really prefer 19” or 20” all-season tires.

I wish Tesla had an option for decent 19” or 20” wheels, I don’t really about the efficiency gained by using hub caps.

This is an easy fix, buy some after market 19" wheels.

• Disagree
Reactions: SilverGS