Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S steering failed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was driving home tonight (2016 70D)and it sounded like I had a flat tire. Pulled over to check and tires were fine. Started driving again and all traction control and stability control errors came up on the screen and said to call a service center.

I have to hold the steering to the left to get the car to go straight. When parked the right front side steering makes a grinding sound and when the steering wheel is straight the right wheel is not.

Obviously there has been a mechanical failure of some kind but I’m not sure what it is.

I assume I should have the car towed?

Anyone have a problem like this before?

Thanks. Interesting. I had my wife turn the wheel in the garage and it was just grinding from the passenger side. Felt more like an issue where the rotor connects to the steering arm. I don’t have a handyman bone in my body so I really have no idea :)
Please let us know what it turns out to be. I hate to see things like this happen. I know it's inevitable that things will happen but when things THIS extreme happen, it's concerning to me. I hope it's an easy fix and glad you were able to keep control of your car. Good luck and don't forget, please, to let us know what happens and what they say is wrong etc. Thx

Please let us know what it turns out to be. I hate to see things like this happen. I know it's inevitable that things will happen but when things THIS extreme happen, it's concerning to me. I hope it's an easy fix and glad you were able to keep control of your car. Good luck and don't forget, please, to let us know what happens and what they say is wrong etc. Thx

Will do. Have a call in to the service center already. Just a big hassle now to get it towed and fixed and worst of all having to drive an ICE most likely because they never have enough Tesla loaners.

Reactions: CBPfromTN
Will do. Have a call in to the service center already. Just a big hassle now to get it towed and fixed and worst of all having to drive an ICE most likely because they never have enough Tesla loaners.
Well, MY opinion is they need more TESLA LOANERS if there are going to be so many cars with problems needing to be repaired, in the shop. I would HATE having to drive an ICE car when I am used to driving a Tesla. That's crazy. You don't give a customer a different brand of car than you sell!!!

Reactions: GreenT and PrGrPa
I was driving home tonight (2016 70D)and it sounded like I had a flat tire. Pulled over to check and tires were fine. Started driving again and all traction control and stability control errors came up on the screen and said to call a service center.

I have to hold the steering to the left to get the car to go straight. When parked the right front side steering makes a grinding sound and when the steering wheel is straight the right wheel is not.

Obviously there has been a mechanical failure of some kind but I’m not sure what it is.

I assume I should have the car towed?

Anyone have a problem like this before?

Sorry to hear of your trouble.
Sounds like one of the joints (or linkage (or the strut)) failed on the front passenger side. Definitely go with a flat bed tow.

Well, MY opinion is they need more TESLA LOANERS if there are going to be so many cars with problems needing to be repaired, in the shop. I would HATE having to drive an ICE car when I am used to driving a Tesla. That's crazy. You don't give a customer a different brand of car than you sell!!!

Well I did get a loaner Tesla. No autopilot so must be 2013 or earlier but still better than a ICE!

Still no word about what’s wrong with my car. Hopefully tomorrow.

How will that help him get a Tesla loaner?
It won't. The purpose is to add another data point about a possible safety defect that could increase the risk of accident, crash, injury or death.

It's up to NHTSA and/or Tesla to take action or not, depending on and weighing the incoming data points, if any. It may help other drivers w/the same parts on their vehicle along w/those that share the road with them.

Last edited:
Reactions: bonaire
Well I did get a loaner Tesla. No autopilot so must be 2013 or earlier but still better than a ICE!

Still no word about what’s wrong with my car. Hopefully tomorrow.
Well, I am glad at least you did get a Tesla loaner car but it would be nice to have a newer one! Hope yours gets repaired soon! By the way, I know you are still under the manufacturer's warranty but did you purchase the extended 4 year warranty? I pick my Model S up tomorrow and I am seriously considering it. I will probably wait for a couple of months but I believe it's worth it even though it's a little pricey compared to other new car extended warranties.