Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Structural Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
But it’s definitely a fraud. I’ve even discovered and contacted the transport company that brought the vehicle from the body shop to the Mannheim facility in Newburgh, NY.

What exactly is the fraud? Is it possible that it had been in a collision and the prior owner paid someone under the table to patch it up and not report it to anyone, but when Tesla went to sell it as a used car they noticed the bumper cover was damaged and got that repaired. Bumper coverage damage isn't something you normally report/disclose. Tesla might not have known about more extensive damage. (I'm just making something up here, as you haven't shared any details so we don't have any clue what fraud you are claiming that Tesla has committed or what the prior owner has told you.)

Tesla retained Mannheim to manage the CPO storage and logistics.

You really need to stop calling it a CPO, unless you bought it more than a year ago. Tesla hasn't had a CPO program for more than a year.

Just dug up this photo from before it was debadged. I guess it wasn’t put on like that at the factory.

Attachments

• 0460EEBF-3F3A-4281-93CB-99F6E991DB3A.jpeg
    0460EEBF-3F3A-4281-93CB-99F6E991DB3A.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
What exactly is the fraud? Is it possible that it had been in a collision and the prior owner paid someone under the table to patch it up and not report it to anyone, but when Tesla went to sell it as a used car they noticed the bumper cover was damaged and got that repaired. Bumper coverage damage isn't something you normally report/disclose. Tesla might not have known about more extensive damage. (I'm just making something up here, as you haven't shared any details so we don't have any clue what fraud you are claiming that Tesla has committed or what the prior owner has told you.)

You really need to stop calling it a CPO, unless you bought it more than a year ago. Tesla hasn't had a CPO program for more than a year.

I’ll refer to it as The Tesla used and abused experience.

Maybe I'm just dense but I didn't really understand what was going on....
Does this video describe what you're experiencing?

To the OP
is your problem with the thread portion of the car is no longer secured and so you can't screw in the knob? Still trying to understand the nuances of your problem.

I saw this video too. Yes, it's about the buffetting noise we're talking about. There must be something more to it though, I've tried to set all 4 points with the paper check and while all seem tight, on some roads, at some particular speeds, I still notice it. Maybe I need to go even tighter with the adjustments. I haven't reached yet to a point where the latch won't close anymore. Not sure what else I could adjust.

Shouting fraud with no basis is the recipe for a lawsuit. Against you.
100% consumer fraud in NY State, I’ll double down on that. According to the NY Attorney General. I’m giving Tesla until early next week before proceeding with my formal complaint. Once that complaint is executed, I won’t settle until justice is served and a decision is made by the state.

The previous owner backed into a pole right before returning the subject leased vehicle to Tesla. She returned to Tesla with the damages, got her new Tesla, and the vehicle was transported from the Tesla facility to a body shop, and then back to the Mannheim facility in Newburgh, NY. Tesla charged the previous owner a substantial amount of $ for the repair, but basically put a band aid on the car. Already spoke with the transport company too, gathered my evidence, etc. Prior owner is fully cooperating too. This vehicle was represented to me as a clean vehicle with no history of body repairs. I could’ve bought tons of them that had “previous repairs” and saved substantially. I elected to buy a clean car with no body repair history, low mileage and an incredible warranty. Obviously that didn’t happen.

The pressure buffeting associated with this incident is unbearable. The adjustments don’t work. The rubber stopper on the right lift gate totally miss the round plastic shim on the bottom. I noticed the lettering on the trunk lid was askew, but Tesla told me that was normal and was applied like that at the factory. The rear of the car is in a state of failure. The area on the right of the liftgate is deformed. This has been an absolute nightmare. I’m enamored by Tesla’s, I also have a model x P90DL, with zero buffeting whatsoever. I’d rather settle this matter amicably, but Tesla’s lackadaisical attitude and inconsistencies are leaving me with no option but to “drop the atomic bomb”. This is now more about principle. After the state is completed, I’ll spend more than the car is worth with counsel, just to make my point and prevent others from being taken advantage of. The loudest voice in the room always wins, especially when I’m 100% in the right with substantial evidence and a cooperating witness. That’s how I operate! I’d rather enjoy my Tesla experience and not have this unnecessary drama, but I’ve never seen anything like this in my entire life. I’ve never been given the run around by anyone like this.

Attachments

• 143E29FE-DD8D-4742-8777-3AE60FCC7000.jpeg
    143E29FE-DD8D-4742-8777-3AE60FCC7000.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 3C6F8AEF-D9A4-4DC8-831A-2ADE77B37974.jpeg
    3C6F8AEF-D9A4-4DC8-831A-2ADE77B37974.jpeg
    630.9 KB · Views: 63
  • E8B46DBE-D5CA-4355-AE80-D88A45E00417.jpeg
    E8B46DBE-D5CA-4355-AE80-D88A45E00417.jpeg
    365 KB · Views: 47
  • 04ABA290-95D8-4690-BC72-C36D37849D30.jpeg
    04ABA290-95D8-4690-BC72-C36D37849D30.jpeg
    319.1 KB · Views: 51
  • 05BDE239-61CC-4739-9535-B66EDDE5EE22.jpeg
    05BDE239-61CC-4739-9535-B66EDDE5EE22.jpeg
    531 KB · Views: 46
  • 4215CB91-F613-4487-AA48-8A98A1077ED6.jpeg
    4215CB91-F613-4487-AA48-8A98A1077ED6.jpeg
    531.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 953BC7BE-0146-4B83-89C5-F0CFC2DE8D7E.jpeg
    953BC7BE-0146-4B83-89C5-F0CFC2DE8D7E.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 53
100% consumer fraud in NY State, I’ll double down on that. According to the NY Attorney General. I’m giving Tesla until early next week before proceeding with my formal complaint. Once that complaint is executed, I won’t settle until justice is served and a decision is made by the state.

The previous owner backed into a pole right before returning the subject leased vehicle to Tesla. She returned to Tesla with the damages, got her new Tesla, and the vehicle was transported from the Tesla facility to a body shop, and then back to the Mannheim facility in Newburgh, NY. Tesla charged the previous owner a substantial amount of $ for the repair, but basically put a band aid on the car. Already spoke with the transport company too, gathered my evidence, etc. Prior owner is fully cooperating too. This vehicle was represented to me as a clean vehicle with no history of body repairs. I could’ve bought tons of them that had “previous repairs” and saved substantially. I elected to buy a clean car with no body repair history, low mileage and an incredible warranty. Obviously that didn’t happen.

The pressure buffeting associated with this incident is unbearable. The adjustments don’t work. The rubber stopper on the right lift gate totally miss the round plastic shim on the bottom. I noticed the lettering on the trunk lid was askew, but Tesla told me that was normal and was applied like that at the factory. The rear of the car is in a state of failure. The area on the right of the liftgate is deformed. This has been an absolute nightmare. I’m enamored by Tesla’s, I also have a model x P90DL, with zero buffeting whatsoever. I’d rather settle this matter amicably, but Tesla’s lackadaisical attitude and inconsistencies are leaving me with no option but to “drop the atomic bomb”. This is now more about principle. After the state is completed, I’ll spend more than the car is worth with counsel, just to make my point and prevent others from being taken advantage of. The loudest voice in the room always wins, especially when I’m 100% in the right with substantial evidence and a cooperating witness. That’s how I operate! I’d rather enjoy my Tesla experience and not have this unnecessary drama, but I’ve never seen anything like this in my entire life. I’ve never been given the run around by anyone like this.
If it was indeed sold to you with "clean repair history" (I assume you have clear, written evidence) then you likely do have a claim. "Fraud" may be a bit over the top, but there's enough to prove you are entitled to be made whole by Tesla fixing the problem (or refunding the sale price, or replacing with another comparable CPO).

2016 facelift S with similar buffeting noise issues.

You?
I've been trying to visualize what's going on with OP's car and may be yours if it's similar. With the deformed rear end of the OP's car (slight assumption there on my part) I imagine that there is some air leakage around the tailgate seal. Depending on air preasure inside the car vs lift / lower pressure acting on outside of tailgate, the tailgate could act like a big 'reed' (as in wind instrument) and get pumped up and down sealing and releasing the tailgate weather seal. The relentless 'hammering' of the tailgate on poorly adjusted stops / bumpers could cuase the cracks / fatigue around the mountings.

If it is anything like this, then a simple audio analyser app would probably give an indication. (Android 'frequensee' or slightly better 'spectroid')

How would you describe the symptoms your car has? Drumming? Vibration? Pumping pressure? Opening a window is probably enough to create enough pressure imbalance to hold the tailgate in one position.

• Informative
Reactions: cucubits
As per New York law, a dealer presenting a used vehicle for sale is only required to disclose the vehicle had been in an accident if the vehicle had been previously totaled.

A dealer is also required to disclose if the vehicle was used as a rental car, drivers education car, police vehicle, repurchased under the lemon law, or has a salvage title.

Source:
Let the Buyer be Aware

Good luck and keep us posted. It's fortunate you were able to contact previous owner and towing company to get details on what happened to your car before purchase. They simply need to fix it properly, otherwise you seem to have the details required for legal recourse. Hopefully that is not necessary.

• Helpful
Reactions: cucubits