Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Structural Failure

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Previous owner leased the vehicle and never performed any work on the vehicle whatsoever. However, Tesla charged them for body repairs when the lease was up, including some rear bumper damage. All repairs were performed by Tesla. It was listed and represented as a car with a clean history. The car fax furnished by Tesla reflected the same. Obviously this isn’t the case. WTF Tesla? Zero confidence in the CPO scam.

Previous owner leased the vehicle and never performed any work on the vehicle whatsoever. However, Tesla charged them for body repairs when the lease was up, including some rear bumper damage. All repairs were performed by Tesla. It was listed and represented as a car with a clean history. The car fax furnished by Tesla reflected the same. Obviously this isn’t the case. WTF Tesla? Zero confidence in the CPO scam.

How much was the lessee charged for the repair?

The amount can affect the legal requirement to report the repair, and therefore whether it would be fraudulent or just legal deception.

• Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Tesla doing body work and CarFax reporting are 2 different things. This car could have been totaled and repaired, and still not reported to CarFax.

I do noticed sometimes the used cars listed for sale by Tesla disclose that they have been "Repaired to Tesla Specifications" or something like that. I would think that in itself is disclosure for "this car has been previously wrecked". Downplaying the amount of damage later is just Tesla trying to sell a used car.

Right now it’s the equivalent of not even having a warranty. Complete radio silence. There’s nobody in corporate, not even a regional representative. Excuse my grotesque words, but the purchase experience is a slow rape, and the service experience is an abortion. I couldn’t say this more eloquently.
That's not putting it eloquently. Comparing a consumer dispute over a car to rape or an abortion is way out of line. Any sympathy I had for you and your situation disappeared with yoru "eloquent" statement.

Reactions: CliffG and brkaus
What exactly is the fraud? I don't think you have ever given an details, just vague non-details.
I think the OP has a different perspective from us maybe. He's had super loud buffetting, been trying to get fixed and getting the Tesla run-around, thought he had a great CPO car backed by Tesla and is now facing a botched repair on the rear end that's bad enough to have the tailgate bouncing around and some fracture lines in some parts. That's a tough journey.

However, I an still surprising unsure of exactly what the issue is. I'm thinking this car had a rear end shunt that deformed more than Tesla (or their bodyshop) noticed and the other hassles stem from that. But it is impossible to tell what's gouing on from the pictures, and I honestly think it would be in the OP's best interests to have the car independently assessed and then make a case to Tesla - probably through their legal team. It seems well beyond service center at this point, but it needs some clarity and to try and take out the inevitable emotion.

The cracks in the metal look less significant than the distortion in the gully around the tailgate.

Once again, I don’t mean to offend any fellow Tesla owners. We’re all considered early adapters and I’m into Tesla for 2 cars already. It can happen with the CPO of any manufacturer. However, I’ve never seen customer service like this. It’s how you address an issue which is paramount.

Saying we have no idea, ignoring emails, constantly procrastinating is what’s most troubling. I’ve identified a forensic automotive expert who can prepare a detailed report. In the interim, it’s extremely difficult to drive this car for more than a few miles. The hatch which is not sitting properly is causing the constant pressure buffeting issue.

I’ll be uploading a video and obtaining a professional decimeter. I’ll take anyone for a drive on this thread, if you’re in the vicinity of the Plainview supercharger. I haven’t met any scarlet ev drivers yet.

Carfax is in the clear here but it is a clear reminder to always take a carfax report with a grain of salt because if an accident (or something else) is not reported to carfax (or realistically to the insurance company which is how carfax gets their info), there is not a lot they can do.

In this case, the car was clearly damaged during the lease period but the leasee opted not to repair it (and probably paid a pretty penny when the car was turned in). Tesla then opted to repair the car prior to resale but obviously did not do a good job and even worse didn't disclose the previous damage to carfax or the OP. Technically they don't have to as their cars are sold used/as-is but is still kind of a shady thing to do.

Now at least on the website they do list whether the cars have had previous accident damage repaired (again assuming they know about it).

Here's a close-up of my right side hatch adjustment point, unscrewed from the body. If it helps for reference. I feel my adjustment points are pretty solid. I kept adjusting, put a piece of paper, close it, try to pull it out, and so on.

While poking at the back I may have stumbled on something interesting, possibly related to this buffeting noise some experience.

I checked under the liner around the trunk and most of the surfaces had some soft-ish rubbery insulation under it, except for right on the bottom of the well space, not sure how to call it, the basement of the trunk, you guys know what I mean. If I tried to bang on the lowest bottom part, lightly, with my hands, I'd hear almost the same low base frequency noise as in the cabin when buffetting happens. Any other surface in the trunk was completely different, dampened, no noise at all. Had to stop because it's too cold outside (yes, in Texas :) ) but I will follow-up. I'll see if I can stuff something in that lower part and if it'll help.

hatch_adjuster.jpg

Last edited:
I had the same rubber residue that I hit with the air blow gun. The threading in relation to the bottom is way off. Also, the entire bumper area reveals at the taillights are inconsistent too. I applied armor all to both upper rubber stoppers, only the left side can come into contact with the lower plastic shim. The right side misses it no matter how it’s adjusted.

Attachments

• 8F72CB5D-8B0E-4773-B8F2-4EC0DDDEAA8D.jpeg
    8F72CB5D-8B0E-4773-B8F2-4EC0DDDEAA8D.jpeg
    431.2 KB · Views: 52
  • EF0840C0-BC19-4486-A6AC-A15658A3CD23.jpeg
    EF0840C0-BC19-4486-A6AC-A15658A3CD23.jpeg
    378.1 KB · Views: 42
  • A0713123-F1FB-427D-B1FA-983C0B5CE6E4.jpeg
    A0713123-F1FB-427D-B1FA-983C0B5CE6E4.jpeg
    486 KB · Views: 45
I’ve been experiencing major pressure buffeting from the lift gate of the Model S. This issue has been well documented amongst many owners and the resolution is to adjust the rubber discs that come into contact with the plastic adjustable shims of the car body. I’ve performed this adjustment and so has the service center. But now, there’s no way of resolving this issue. Additionally, Tesla service refuses to even acknowledge this obvious defect. My 15 year old son and I performed extensive research on this matter, and we discovered a direct correlation between the inconsistent panel gaps of the rear portion of the model S and the pressure buffeting. The threading attached to the frame, under the plastic adjustable shim is straight on the drivers side, and askew on the passenger side. The surrounding aluminum is also showing signs of ductile fracturing. The movement of this threaded component, prevents the shim from sitting equal to the drivers side shim, therefore causing the lift gate not being able to fully sit level, causing inconsistent gaps at the adjoining panel transitions. Even more disturbing, the aluminum body panel that surrounds the lift gate opening is exhibiting a significant tension stress. I haven’t removed any interior body trim panels to examine the adjacent panels. I measured the body gaps resulting from this structural failure with a digital caliper. The difference in spacing is 3mm. This is significant. I’ve attached photos of the threaded rod area showing signs of ductile fracture, the right side of the lift gate opening exhibiting signs of failure from the tension stresses. This vehicle has NEVER been in an accident. This potentially dangerous defect should be investigated and publicized to other unsuspecting Model S owners.

The rubber bumpers or stoppers located on the liftgate that come in contact with the discs that you picture are also threaded and adjustable and can be screwed in and out to change the fittament of the lift gate when closed. You may want to turn the discs all the way down and use the rubber stoppers to make your adjustments left and right. That's how I solved it.

That’s the lowest the right side will go down. The entire right side of the car is out of line. Notice the reveal difference on the bumper cover.

Attachments

• 021632DE-C751-47DA-A9B9-EC381384785C.jpeg
    021632DE-C751-47DA-A9B9-EC381384785C.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 51
  • B95300DC-B0D3-4765-9F65-7934BD65FEBB.jpeg
    B95300DC-B0D3-4765-9F65-7934BD65FEBB.jpeg
    347.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 5D89949E-42A7-4E25-8794-ED91AE8BF143.jpeg
    5D89949E-42A7-4E25-8794-ED91AE8BF143.jpeg
    531.2 KB · Views: 46
  • EDB6E203-B850-4080-AA27-58092953D535.jpeg
    EDB6E203-B850-4080-AA27-58092953D535.jpeg
    550.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 3C162736-1949-4106-A0E2-E86DFE98BCC9.png
    3C162736-1949-4106-A0E2-E86DFE98BCC9.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 50
I’m sorry I offended you snowflake....My apologies.
If the snowflake reference was aimed at me, I'm not offended. I only spent 26 years in the military and I can take anything anyone cares to dish out (and return counterfire if warranted). I just have a problem with a person who's upset about a car problem comparing it to a rape. If that makes me a snowflake, so be it. Hyperbole never convinces me, I live in a world of facts, not the BS distortions and hyperbole that seem to exemplify so many people these days (regardless of where they sit on the political spectrum).

Feel free to call me snowflake all you want. I spent over half my life dedicated to protecting your (and every other one of my fellow citizens) right to do so and have the wounds to prove it....

If the snowflake reference was aimed at me, I'm not offended. I only spent 26 years in the military and I can take anything anyone cares to dish out (and return counterfire if warranted). I just have a problem with a person who's upset about a car problem comparing it to a rape. If that makes me a snowflake, so be it. Hyperbole never convinces me, I live in a world of facts, not the BS distortions and hyperbole that seem to exemplify so many people these days (regardless of where they sit on the political spectrum).

Feel free to call me snowflake all you want. I spent over half my life dedicated to protecting your (and every other one of my fellow citizens) right to do so and have the wounds to prove it....
Yep. Improperly using the word "fraud" really degrades OP's position.

I agree, the rape comparison might’ve been too extreme. Thank you for your service. But it’s definitely a fraud. I’ve even discovered and contacted the transport company that brought the vehicle from the body shop to the Mannheim facility in Newburgh, NY. Tesla retained Mannheim to manage the CPO storage and logistics. It’s not an oversight, it’s a blatant fraud. I’m reading about others who’ve been through this with Tesla. My wife’s model x was plagued with numerous deficiencies, but the SC handled everything amazingly. But when they’re caught red handed, they run for the hills. It’s so unfortunate.