TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Model S subforums

Discussion in 'Model S' started by doug, Aug 14, 2012.

1. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

This thread really should be in Site Feedback, but it's particularly relevant here.

The Model S forum has gotten a bit unwieldy as a single forum and is in serious need of some subforums. We've had a couple passes at this, but it's incomplete. Here's your opportunity to give some feedback and input on how you'd like this Model S forum organized.

At most we'd like six subforums (the fewer the better) with clear categories so that thread placement is unambiguous. Each subforum needs a concise title and a description of what it covers.

Here's a start:

Title --- (Description)
    Driving Dynamics --- (Performance, Drivetrain, Traction/Stability control, brakes, suspension, Wheels/tires)
    Charging & Battery --- (Range, battery options, charge time, HPWC, house electrical prep)
    Exterior & Interior ---(styling, paint colors, Pano roof, dash materials, seating, storage, console)
    User Interface?? --- (touchscreen, apps, audio, connectivity, navigation, tech package, HVAC, door handles, key, steering wheel switches)
    ??????????????? --- (package pricing, production and delivery schedule, reservation maps, etc.)

The post below is a wiki. In addition to posting some feedback try your hand at wordsmithing.

2. Thread Summary

Thread Summary Member Generated Post Wiki

#2 Thread Summary, Aug 14, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2012

Title Description
    Charging & Battery Range, battery options, charge time, HPWC, house electrical prep
    Customer Feedback general concerns, broken features, wishlist items
    Driving Dynamics Performance, Drivetrain, Traction/Stability control, brakes, suspension, Wheels/tires
    Interior and Exterior overall styling, paint colors, Pano roof, dash materials, seating, storage, console
    Reservation, Production, Delivery package pricing, Financing, Leasing, production and delivery schedule, reservation maps, etc.
    Pics and Videos Photos, videos, customer experiences to share
    In the Press Reviews by third-parties, comments on competitive vehicles
    Owners' Stories Tales of ownership and enjoyment of the Model S from the real world

Curious why the "User Interface" category was nixed. It needs a better name, but what was there (touchscreen, etc) would be useful.

3. contaygious

contaygious Active Member

We should have a pictures or share your ride section.

4. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Perhaps "Customer Feedback" could be broadened slightly to also include things like competing vehicles, thoughts on marketing EVs in general and the S in particular. But then, what to call this section..."Selling the S"? "Improving S Sales"? "Customer Feedback on the S and marketing"? "Blowhard central"?

5. doug

Thanks for the input so far. Keep it coming.

Again we probably want at most six subforums. We'll still have the Model S parent forum open for stuff we can't easily classify. In the current version of the above wiki (Last edited by Rifleman; Today at 11:42 AM.), I'd say that "Buying" category is the same as the "Pricing and Delivery" category. I just want to be careful of the name since I don't want it to be confused with a For Sale section. I'd say that "User Groups" section is covered by the regional forums we already have. That's the spot to discuss local events and meet-ups.

6. SCW-Greg

SCW-Greg Active Member

In the vain of trying to keep it short, sweet, and totally relevant for the volume of Model S posts...

Do we need one called "Buying a Tesla"? or, maybe relabel to "Buying a Model S"?
    Do we need a sub-forum for "In the press" for Model S?

For the main forum, I can see a coming thread for a bunch of people planning road trips, and looking for resources, maps and other tools to do cross country efforts.

my 2 pennies.

7. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

Is the intent of User Groups to be confined specifically to Model S without regard to geographic location? Wouldn't logistics require multiple Model S user groups by location?

I like our current local sub-forums broken out by geographic region. Then within a geographic region we have the ability to set up threads for clubs and if necessary the clubs could specify rallies by Roadster, Model S, etc.

In other words, I don't understand the need for this User Group sub-forum for Model Ss.

Larry

8. AndyM

AndyM Member

I agree on the User Groups thing. It was my add, and I see everyone's point. (poof!) and it's gone. :)

9. AndyM

AndyM Member

I think "Buying a Tesla" would be covered in the "Pricing" subforum. I vote for nixing it.

10. William13

William13 Member

I hate to rain on your parade, but I have found over the years when trying to give precise, unambiguous directions that they almost never work. The best way seems to be the fewer, more general words the better.

Less is more.

Why change?

11. mikevbf

mikevbf Member

I would either wrap "in the press" sub forum with "pics and videos" or "pics and videos" into "customer feedback".

12. doug

Less is more. But some basic sensible structure can help people filter and find what they want. For example, I'm not particularly interested in reading about cosmetic stuff and cup holders, but I am interested in the drivetrain, the touchscreen, stuff like that. But for someone else the cup holders are very important.

I was hoping for about four sub-categories. Certainly no more than six.

13. doug

I think probably all those can just stay in the parent forum.

14. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Pardon my ignorance, but will the reorg keep a single RSS feed for new topics related to Model S, or does this mean I'd have 6 (7? parent forum?) RSS feeds to monitor? I don't mind (I might even skip a couple of the subforums) but I just want to know how it will work. ;-)

If you read this and think "but there's not one feed for Model S stuff now!" then clearly I'm missing a ton o' stuff...let me know, please. I'm using this feed. This is the only forum I'm in on the internet so it's possible I've been missing out for many months now....

15. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Given the current discussion - we would have to repeat that for Model X, all models of the bluestar/Gen III platform, and future Tesla models. I vote for some sub forums dedicated for the Tesla Brand as a whole. Since this is the TMC, they should be located top level, not buried within Model S subforum.

16. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

I'm all for having a home for Tesla shoppers. I've mostly participated at TMC by posting reviews in the review thread (and Master Review List thread, which needs to be wiki'd something fierce and placed at the beginning of the main Model S Review thread) and by starting the MSP vs M5 and Model S vs BMW 5 Series threads, both of which speak to my own interest in fleshing out a Model S buyers guide.

17. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

We already have a news forum and a videos forum from the main page, will these be nixed or will these subforums get added for the roadster, model X etc?

Perhaps some of the subforums, belong on the main page, such as customer feedback?

Just some food for thought...

18. joefee

joefee Over 2 Million TMC page views

Investor Discussion/News needs to be added to the above and I vote to include "user interface" as part of "interior".

19. JRod0802

JRod0802 Member

If you're going to be adding subforums w/ descriptions, I would like to point out that the description of this forum is:

"Discussion about the Tesla Model S (WhiteStar)"

The "(Whitestar)" can probably be removed since everyone knows it as "Model S" now.

20. doug

I believe so, yes. Perhaps an extra moment spent in setup, but it gives you the opportunity to filter. There was a time when I was able to read all posts on this forum. That time has past. As membership has gone up, the signal to noise ratio has gone down, but different people have different opinions about what they consider signal. This should help.

Though it's now strayed a bit off topic, the global organization of the forum was the purpose of this thread: reorganizing the forums
    Please make your well thought out suggestions there. :)

I'm not too keen on making a customer feedback forum. While we know Tesla folks read TMC, it's not a Tesla corporate website. Anyhow, I think we already had a specific thread for that.

Investor stuff could be a subforum under the Tesla Motors forum. But I think there are only a few such threads.

Perhaps "user interface" isn't the best title (it was a nice suggestion from Bonnie), but I'd like to separate the tech/electronic stuff (e.g., touchscreen, apps, audio) from the conventional interior discussion (e.g., floor mats, cup holders, center console).

That was for us 2006 old timers that were still calling it WhiteStar in 2011. But you are, of course, correct.