Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S subsite and design studio being updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasn't someone told the first week of March? This here is the first full week, so I'd imagine we're well on our way. Technically, they have until the day before the first day of spring (about 2.5 weeks away) to meet the self-imposed "winter" deadline.

Also, it's possible that they can start locking in orders for the earliest production dates without having the design studio fully updated, which would mean the first productions would still start on time.

A small number of Founders Series could easily be dealt with some way other than the website design studio. I'm guessing 100 or less of those, then there are 221 Sig Specials that Tesla could deal with individually if they wanted to; that's arguably even better marketing to your repeat customers. :wink:

My guess is that we'll see something pretty soon anyway.

On the contrary, how could you begin production of the Model S if you don't have all the options ready to choose?

The same way cars were produced before the internet.

But really the 'Design Studio' is following the production team. Not the other way around. There is nothing that the production team is waiting on from the 'Design Studio'.

EDIT: Not to mention I would never pick a color without seeing it in person, or at very least a color swatch. Your monitor butchers colors.

Last edited:
The same way cars were produced before the internet.

But really the 'Design Studio' is following the production team. Not the other way around. There is nothing that the production team is waiting on from the 'Design Studio'.

All the same, if they don't make the March 20 Winter/Spring deadline for the design studio, I'd simply say "shoddy" and hope that such a 'culture', if you will, will not permeate to the actual manufacturing side of the fence!

But, I still think the web design team will make it in just over a couple of weeks if the actual web design work is what's holding them up...

To wildly generalize here,

I seems the tech based customers are will to forgive a delayed website that they understand the difficulties of producing but not a delayed car.

(ducking and running...)

To wildly generalize here,

I seems the tech based customers are will to forgive a delayed website that they understand the difficulties of producing but not a delayed car.

(ducking and running...)

I don't think there are many difficulties to be honest. It's already coded, they just need to enable more modules. From what I see of their system (poking around from the beginning of this thread), it's well-built and robust enough to just enable new components and go (which I believe they were testing when I stumbled in). It shares underpinnings with the Roadster studio so the pricing aspect is already built, it just needs to be defined in the data returned to the client (right now passing nothing).

I bet they're instead waiting on something else before making some sort of grand announcement about it and the design studio being updated at the same time.

I bet they're instead waiting on something else before making some sort of grand announcement about it and the design studio being updated at the same time.
It's the hovercraft option. Apparently they're worried people will complain about the tan color of the inflatable material, because saddle is apparently so popular.

Robert's gonna kill me...