Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Suspension Clunk Diagnosis

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi TMC team,

Wondering if anyone has experience dealing / resolving a rear clunk (sounds like it’s suspension related).

Observations:
1) more likely to happen on high / very high suspension
2) on medium suspension, occasionally happens when going over bumpier roads / cracks
3) sometimes it’s one thunk, and usually 2 thunks when I’m turning up a ramp / driveway
4) happens 95% of days when I set my car to high, turning left into my works parking lot (slight incline entrance into parking lot). Unfortunately work is 30 minutes away from Tesla so I can have them go there to replicate).

See 12 second video, happens noticeably towards the end.

Was going to bring to Tesla to check out, but with my experience, unless I can point at things to check or get lucky replicating it, they’ll tell me nothing is wrong.

Thanks in advance!

Happens summer and winter (19/21 rims), and only going over bumps / uneven roads, and amplified frequency when going at higher suspension heights.
Is it from a specific wheel? I, too, was hearing a thunk sound on bumpy roads with the suspension raised (new S Plaid).

Hard to know if the raised suspension was related, since I wouldn’t drive on such bumpy roads with the suspension low.

Tesla tech found the hub and upper shock bolts loose on the ‘thunking’ wheel, and tightened them, resolving the issue. So far, at least…

Is it from a specific wheel? I, too, was hearing a thunk sound on bumpy roads with the suspension raised (new S Plaid).

Hard to know if the raised suspension was related, since I wouldn’t drive on such bumpy roads with the suspension low.

Tesla tech found the hub and upper shock bolts loose on the ‘thunking’ wheel, and tightened them, resolving the issue. So far, at least…
I took mine to Tesla Service and they replaced both rear toe link assemblies.

So far, 3 days in, no clunk, but will hold judgment until I drive and turn into work on Tuesday. That is where the clunk (which I couldn’t tell which wheel it was from) happens 9 out of 10 times.

I think my 2022 has this issue. Just started at 7.7k miles. Clunk, from the passenger rear, noticeable at times over bump/uneven surface at low speed, usually only with suspension at high level.

How long does it take to replace toe links?