Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S suspension problems

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve heard about model S having suspension problems but I thought that would be after some years and upper miles. I purchased a 2018 model S 75D in early summer with 32k miles on it. Not long after owning it I noticed a nasty grinding sound when accelerating hard. So brought to SC and they changed front half shafts, clevis and axle seal at no charge.

Drove home and that fixed the grinding noise so everything was good. The next day I noticed a new noise only at low speeds and it sounded like a ball joint straining or grommet creaking. Brought it to SC and they replaced the front right sway bar and again no charge still under warranty. So far it seems all good now, but the car now has 35k miles on it and should not be having these problem. I love the car but will be out of warranty next March and now wondering how much suspension work I will be paying for down the road.

Its hard to believe that this car new is around 85k dollars and can have suspension problems like this at only 35K miles. They said they put on the new upgraded half shafts so hopefully those will last. But they really need to upgrade the suspension system this is ridiculous on a car this new and with low mileage.

Reactions: Dcam and bredi
I’ve heard about model S having suspension problems but I thought that would be after some years and upper miles. I purchased a 2018 model S 75D in early summer with 32k miles on it. Not long after owning it I noticed a nasty grinding sound when accelerating hard. So brought to SC and they changed front half shafts, clevis and axle seal at no charge.

Drove home and that fixed the grinding noise so everything was good. The next day I noticed a new noise only at low speeds and it sounded like a ball joint straining or grommet creaking. Brought it to SC and they replaced the front right sway bar and again no charge still under warranty. So far it seems all good now, but the car now has 35k miles on it and should not be having these problem. I love the car but will be out of warranty next March and now wondering how much suspension work I will be paying for down the road.

Its hard to believe that this car new is around 85k dollars and can have suspension problems like this at only 35K miles. They said they put on the new upgraded half shafts so hopefully those will last. But they really need to upgrade the suspension system this is ridiculous on a car this new and with low mileage.

Welcome to a whole world of pain.

I was happily driving down a B road in the uk @60mph when the front suspension suddenly failed, leaving me without much control and ended up decelerating very quickly and up on to the verge.

My vehicle is out of warranty as has been sitting at a Tesla garage in Milton Keynes for over a week … without any diagnostics and me relentlessly chasing each day.

No warranty means, no courtesy vehicle, no cover and pretty much no urgency from Tesla.

I’ve had to take a whole week off work due to not being able to travel to the office (I live in quite a remote area and commute in to a big town).

Tesla famously living up to their extremely poor customer service, whilst the user being me is suffering in a somewhat forced silence.

If anybody lives within the UK and near to Milton Keynes (this wasn’t my choice for recovery, but what was suggested via Tesla as the time (3 hour recovery truck time!) and can recommend a freelance mechanic, I will happily engage and authorise the diagnostics to be carried out whilst it’s just sitting in their parking lot.