Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S suspension type

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all
Does anyone know what’s the difference between air suspension type?
I have seen smart air suspension (15)
Standard suspension (18)
Adaptive suspension (19)

i have been using smart air suspension for years and it can automatically record the location where you raise the car. Not sure 18,19 cars. Appreciate any inputs

Hi all
Does anyone know what’s the difference between air suspension type?
I have seen smart air suspension (15)
Standard suspension (18)
Adaptive suspension (19)

i have been using smart air suspension for years and it can automatically record the location where you raise the car. Not sure 18,19 cars. Appreciate any inputs
Smart Air Suspension was an option on early cars and then standard on later models (I think ~2018-2019). That was changed to Adaptive Suspension with the Raven update in mid-2019. Adaptive suspension still has the auto-ride-height, but adds in dynamic dampening (so now the air springs can raise/lower height, and the shocks can firm/soften the level of damping). Earlier options include the standard suspension, or on some P models, the Plus suspension, which was sportier. The latter two are not dynamic in either height or damping.

Also note that the plus suspension is adjustable for height but not damping. Plus cars also came with larger anti-roll bars and stiffer bushings.
Thanks. So only adaptive suspension can adjust damping. For older model before 2018 with smart air suspension/ plus / standard suspension they can’t do dampening adjustment.
For plus, any benefits for larger anti roll bars and stiffer bushings?

Thanks. So only adaptive suspension can adjust damping. For older model before 2018 with smart air suspension/ plus / standard suspension they can’t do dampening adjustment.
For plus, any benefits for larger anti roll bars and stiffer bushings?
Definitely a difference with the plus suspension. I have it and love the way it Handles compared to the other ones I’ve driven without the plus. Funny thing is when I bought it from Telsa I had no idea it had the plus suspension until I took delivery. Nice added bonus for sure. The ride isn’t harsh at all and it corners amazingly well especially after I put the arachnids on it.
B77E016F-29D2-46DB-9B20-994F526D57A0.jpeg

I'll echo what PWlakewood said. The car handles very well, and the larger wheels definitely help, even if you only go to 20" like I did. When purchasing the car (used) from Tesla I asked the sales advisor if it had plus suspension and he said no, but the car has all the parts, and the description lists the plus suspension as well. Must be something in the water at Tesla.

I didn't know they still had + suspension by the time the 90 packs were being installed. I thought they ran out in April of 2015 which was still the "85" era.

My July 2015 build - according to the Additional Vehicle Information page - has the Plus suspension. I presume it is reported this way in error, however.
View attachment 677954View attachment 677955h
I'll echo what PWlakewood said. The car handles very well, and the larger wheels definitely help, even if you only go to 20" like I did. When purchasing the car (used) from Tesla I asked the sales advisor if it had plus suspension and he said no, but the car has all the parts, and the description lists the plus suspension as well. Must be something in the water at Tesla.

I didn't know they still had + suspension by the time the 90 packs were being installed. I thought they ran out in April of 2015 which was still the "85" era.
My build date is Nov 2015 if I go by what is on the door jamb sticker but the Monroney sticker says Oct 2015. How can I confirm that I do have all the necessary parts. It shows plus suspension and it handles amazing but I would love to confirm it does indeed have all the necessary hardware.

Last edited: