Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Sweet Spot (Radar + Matrix Lights?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking at getting either a Model S LR or Plaid. Based on my research, the radar was removed from these cars mid Feb 2022, but the new matrix lights started getting put into cars randomly in 2H 2021 and all of 2022. Is it right that the sweet spot if you want both of these features is to get a car with a build date in Jan 2022 (Maintains radar plus the new matrix lights), or do the new matrix lights signal that the radar might also have been removed?

My MSLR was built on Feb 11th and lacked the new lights, but did have the Radar. I believe both the radar removal and the new lights happened simultaneously on cars built after Feb 14th or so. My car missed the new lights by just a couple of days (but I could honestly not care less). I like the old style charge port and the Radar hardware baked into the car.

No matter what current radar is going to be pointless sooner than later. 1) If they decide to continue with radar in the future it will be a different higher resolution radar per recent filings and 2) if they decide against radar, current radar will stop being used.

Either way there's no point in trying to acquire a "sweet spot" model S.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
My MSLR was built on Feb 11th and lacked the new lights, but did have the Radar. I believe both the radar removal and the new lights happened simultaneously on cars built after Feb 14th or so. My car missed the new lights by just a couple of days (but I could honestly not care less). I like the old style charge port and the Radar hardware baked into the car.
My MSLR was also built on Feb 11th...no new lights and has radar. I like the old tail lights and charging port better personally.