Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S -> Taycan Review

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently made the switch from a 2016.5 Tesla Model S 75D to a 2022 Porsche Taycan RWD. I am going to give my opinions on both, as well as trying to incorporate some things from the refreshed MS as I did a 24 hour test drive on it.

The Tech

2016 MS: 4/10
2022 Taycan: 8/10
2022 MS: 9/10

I have seen many complaints about the lagginess and unreliability of the Taycan’s infotainment, so was a bit worried when I ordered my car. It seems that they have resolved most of the issues for 2022 and I have not had any issues. CarPlay is wireless and pops up within about 15 seconds and is honestly the only thing I think you need on a car’s infotainment screen. The instrument cluster looks super sleek and has great graphics. The app sucks, and I would even call it useless especially compared to the MS with its myriad functions and instant connection. One thing I really miss in the Taycan is walk away door lock; the car automatically starts when you sit in the driver’s seat, but once you are out of the car, nothing turns off unless you press the lock button on the door. If I forgot to lock my car I am pretty sure someone would be able to sit in it and drive off, though I have not tested driving it without a key yet. I really appreciate having the AC controls and such on a separate screen (and the haptic feedback feels great), as I was never a fan of having to click another button to get to the fan and other settings relating to the climate controls. Compared to my 2016, the tech in this car is much much better, but I do think that the new Teslas are much smoother and if you are fine with not having CarPlay, is probably the best system on the market. I really appreciate having a top view camera again for pulling into a tight space or in my driveway since it is an odd shape, and also like that the front camera pops up when I get close in the front so I can make sure I do not scrape the bumper as it is very low.

Autopilot: I specced InnoDrive and Active Lane Keeping, which I thought would be comparable to my BMW but it is just not as good. There is no audible warning when it turns off, and the icon is a very small green icon on the bottom of the display, so you really have to keep your hands on the wheel the whole time. It works fine on straight roads/highways but definitely not something to be used anywhere else. The adaptive cruise is SO MUCH BETTER. It is so natural, no phantom braking, and is overall a much better system (even compared to new Teslas). It also slows down for curves and stops at stop signs. My 2016 MS would always phantom brake and autopilot would randomly swerve, so I never trusted those systems anyways.

The frunk in this car I also find actually useful (I never used it in my MS) as you can open it by waving the Porsche logo in the front, and the trunk can also be opened with a kick underneath like most cars which I find extremely helpful when my hands are full and am surprised that Tesla still does not have the feature.

The regeneration is very different in this car, as it occurs mainly when you press the brake pedal (I believe 95% or so of brake pedal usage uses solely regeneration). My favorite option is automatic regeneration because it basically treats it like you have adaptive cruise on all the time. It coasts once you release your foot off the pedal and if a car is ahead it will slow down to their speed and then continue to coast. Definitely no one pedal driving in this car but no complaints there.

The Drive

2016 MS: 6/10 (no air suspension)
2022 Taycan: 10/10

The Taycan drives unbelievably smooth, and I feel barely any bumps in the road. It feels like I am driving on a cloud and steering is just so smooth and accurate. My 2016 felt decent but it didn’t have air suspension so I am sure it would have been much smoother if I had air suspension.

The acceleration of the RWD is I believe 5.1 seconds, and it feels plenty fast for me. I live in South Florida and most of my driving is from my neighborhood to downtown so not many opportunities to accelerate it, and it is plenty quick to pull out in front of someone if necessary. The Plaid that I rented felt very fast, even too fast, and I would not see myself ever flooring it except for the party trick.

The Range
2016 MS: 7/10
2022 Taycan: 7/10
2022 MS: 10/10

The real world range of the Taycan is about 50 miles less than the real world range of the Tesla according to many studies I have read online, so really is not as big of a deal as many make it. I only drive probably 100 miles per week and have a charger at home so range is not even a consideration for me; I went with the smaller battery pack. I did test out the Electrify America station just to see what it was like. It was the same experience as Tesla; plug the car in, it starts charging. I went from 30% to 80% in about 16 minutes, and anywhere I would ever drive to there are plenty of stations along the way. You also get free charging for the first 3 years.

The Price

Many people compare the MS Plaid with the Taycan Turbo S and say that the Taycan is double the price for less range and less performance. My Taycan which was fairly well optioned came out to $105,960 before tax (-$7,500 tax credit = $98,460). I believe the Model S was about $105,000 at the time I purchased the Taycan. My insurance is also $1,100 less per year than with my MS. You can make the RWD much more expensive and say it is way more expensive than a LR Model S, but you can also add way more things that aren’t even an option on the Tesla (For example, I chose a $3,000 paint option, you can get massaging seats and customize everything to make get it designed the exact way you want). For this price, the build quality is on another level than the Tesla. There is not a single panel gap, and I cannot make something move nor creak no matter how hard I press. The doors close so much more solid than even a brand new MS. I would much rather have a more comfortable car than a faster one, but to each their own.

Service and Experience

2016 MS: 2/10
2022 MS: 2/10

The whole experience of the ordering process has been so seamless. I built my car online, sent my code to a local dealership, gave them a $5,000 deposit over the phone and then began to track my vehicle. With the Taycan, you are given a link to Track Your Dream where you can see exactly where your car is and what steps it has completed. You even get a couple production pictures throughout the journey so you can see how it is looking. My sales advisor was super helpful and I could ask him any time I had a question. The delivery experience took about an hour, paper work taking about 20 minutes and setting up the car taking up the rest of the time. Was also given some money to spend in the store which was a nice touch. For service, they can pick up and drop off my car which I was told I would have on my Model S, but after a couple years I was told that Tesla does not, and has never offered that (which I knew was not true). Nice how Tesla does the mobile services now as that fixed that issue, but as long as I don't have to drive to a service center I do not mind it getting taken there, or done at my house. With my Tesla, I could never get in contact with someone, my issues were never fully resolved, and my sister even cancelled an order for a Tesla after her delivery date kept getting delayed and she was unable to contact anyone.

Conclusion

The Model S is an amazing electric vehicle and without its success, I highly doubt the Taycan would even exist today. The space in the trunk is less and the rear space is a bit less (can fit 5 for a 20 minute drive or so comfortably, but would not want to do a longer trip with 5). If you are looking for the best electric vehicle that holds a lot of space, has the most reliable supercharger network, and gives you astronomical acceleration, without a doubt the Model S is the best option out there. But if you have a smaller family and can charge at home (or even have an Electrify America nearby), then the Taycan is definitely worth at least test driving. You will be blown away the second you sit inside and feel the quality of all the materials. I ordered my car at the beginning of February, and it arrived at the dealership at the end of June. While looks are very subjective, I find that the Taycan is a better looking vehicle, especially with its light bar in the back, and more refined interior. Attached are a few pics, I will take more eventually but have been busy with work, getting it tinted, and new wheels.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 11.15.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-11 at 11.15.49 PM.png
    867.4 KB · Views: 523
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.15 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 364
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.23 PM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 380
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-08 at 10.53.41 PM.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 371
I have to second everything that you say. My 2018 model S is now relegated to Costco runs and hauling kids from school to home in the evening. Model S has more space than Taycan but we have a minivan for those weekend beach trips.

She hates driving the sedan (without birds eye 360 view to park) and we have both an EQS SUV and Rivian R1S on order (will see which one gets here first). As soon as she gets her SUV, the model S goes away (despite having free lifetime supercharging)

I just find reasons to drive the Taycan. I though the $600 sport sound was a gimmick but it does give a certain emotional feel of gear changes. Last night I was just bored at Home. Took the Taycan out for a quick 30 min drive through downtown Disney (Orlando) and back. Can’t say I’ve ever wanted to do something like that in my Tesla.

Different cars for different people/demographics. They’re both great for what they do. Can’t compare both.

I test drove a Turbo S prior to getting my Plaid. The lack of one pedal driving was the real deal killer for me followed by the price and speed delta (both in favor of the Plaid), charging network, range, and space. Almost everything else was better: perceived and actual quality, driving experience, service, etc. They really are wonderful cars. Enjoy it.

Reactions: SoCal Buzz
Nice review and great choice on color. I seriously considered the sport tourismo GTS version but I couldn't justify the $166k sticker after options and dealing with Porsche sales people. Love the interior and quality of the alcantara rich GTS, but even at that price, there are some basic options like ventilated and heated seats that I opted out of. At the end of the day, I went for the the MSP given its performance, range, and supercharger network. I still have my 911 Carerra S to tool around in.

Question regarding the technology: Does it truly have OTA capabilities or is it limited in pushing down updated maps and firmware? I know that the 2023 infotainment now offers built-in/native Spotify and wondering if earlier Taycan's will receive the update or not? This was the one thing that I truly didn't get with other traditional auto. Outdated infotainment and interface is the first thing to make a car feel dated.

My car is currently in for the ANA6 recall which updates the PCM (infotainment) to the latest version (matching the 2023 model year). So they are making some progress with software updates.

From what I can gather, this update might enable real OTA updates in the future. The current model (bringing it in for a software update) is certainly not ideal when compared to the Tesla but at least I get a loaner 😊

Tesla benefits from vertical integration. The Taycan went through a rough patch of hardware mix-n-match in late 2021/early 2022 due to supply chain issues. Seems Porsche is getting better with software but will take decades to match Tesla.

Do I care? Not a bit. The Taycan brings a wide smile on the face while driving. The rest of the numbers, performance, etc don’t matter in real life.

Question regarding the technology: Does it truly have OTA capabilities or is it limited in pushing down updated maps and firmware? I know that the 2023 infotainment now offers built-in/native Spotify and wondering if earlier Taycan's will receive the update or not? This was the one thing that I truly didn't get with other traditional auto. Outdated infotainment and interface is the first thing to make a car feel dated.

I haven't had any updates to my car, but I do have the latest software version that has built in spotify etc. The infotainment is great on my car and they are pushing the newest version that I have to older models, but it seems you have to bring the car in for about 2 days to have it done. As stated above, supposedly with this version, OTA updates are much more likely.

I recently made the switch from a 2016.5 Tesla Model S 75D to a 2022 Porsche Taycan RWD. I am going to give my opinions on both, as well as trying to incorporate some things from the refreshed MS as I did a 24 hour test drive on it.

The Tech

2016 MS: 4/10
2022 Taycan: 8/10

I have seen many complaints about the lagginess and unreliability of the Taycan’s infotainment, so was a bit worried when I ordered my car. It seems that they have resolved most of the issues for 2022 and I have not had any issues. CarPlay is wireless and pops up within about 15 seconds and is honestly the only thing I think you need on a car’s infotainment screen. The instrument cluster looks super sleek and has great graphics. The app sucks, and I would even call it useless especially compared to the MS with its myriad functions and instant connection. One thing I really miss in the Taycan is walk away door lock; the car automatically starts when you sit in the driver’s seat, but once you are out of the car, nothing turns off unless you press the lock button on the door. If I forgot to lock my car I am pretty sure someone would be able to sit in it and drive off, though I have not tested driving it without a key yet. I really appreciate having the AC controls and such on a separate screen (and the haptic feedback feels great), as I was never a fan of having to click another button to get to the fan and other settings relating to the climate controls. Compared to my 2016, the tech in this car is much much better, but I do think that the new Teslas are much smoother and if you are fine with not having CarPlay, is probably the best system on the market. I really appreciate having a top view camera again for pulling into a tight space or in my driveway since it is an odd shape, and also like that the front camera pops up when I get close in the front so I can make sure I do not scrape the bumper as it is very low.

Autopilot: I specced InnoDrive and Active Lane Keeping, which I thought would be comparable to my BMW but it is just not as good. There is no audible warning when it turns off, and the icon is a very small green icon on the bottom of the display, so you really have to keep your hands on the wheel the whole time. It works fine on straight roads/highways but definitely not something to be used anywhere else. The adaptive cruise is SO MUCH BETTER. It is so natural, no phantom braking, and is overall a much better system (even compared to new Teslas). It also slows down for curves and stops at stop signs. My 2016 MS would always phantom brake and autopilot would randomly swerve, so I never trusted those systems anyways.

The frunk in this car I also find actually useful (I never used it in my MS) as you can open it by waving the Porsche logo in the front, and the trunk can also be opened with a kick underneath like most cars which I find extremely helpful when my hands are full and am surprised that Tesla still does not have the feature.

The regeneration is very different in this car, as it occurs mainly when you press the brake pedal (I believe 95% or so of brake pedal usage uses solely regeneration). My favorite option is automatic regeneration because it basically treats it like you have adaptive cruise on all the time. It coasts once you release your foot off the pedal and if a car is ahead it will slow down to their speed and then continue to coast. Definitely no one pedal driving in this car but no complaints there.

The Drive

2016 MS: 6/10 (no air suspension)

The Taycan drives unbelievably smooth, and I feel barely any bumps in the road. It feels like I am driving on a cloud and steering is just so smooth and accurate. My 2016 felt decent but it didn’t have air suspension so I am sure it would have been much smoother if I had air suspension.

The acceleration of the RWD is I believe 5.1 seconds, and it feels plenty fast for me. I live in South Florida and most of my driving is from my neighborhood to downtown so not many opportunities to accelerate it, and it is plenty quick to pull out in front of someone if necessary. The Plaid that I rented felt very fast, even too fast, and I would not see myself ever flooring it except for the party trick.

The Range
2016 MS: 7/10
2022 Taycan: 7/10
2022 MS: 10/10

The real world range of the Taycan is about 50 miles less than the real world range of the Tesla according to many studies I have read online, so really is not as big of a deal as many make it. I only drive probably 100 miles per week and have a charger at home so range is not even a consideration for me; I went with the smaller battery pack. I did test out the Electrify America station just to see what it was like. It was the same experience as Tesla; plug the car in, it starts charging. I went from 30% to 80% in about 16 minutes, and anywhere I would ever drive to there are plenty of stations along the way. You also get free charging for the first 3 years.

The Price

Many people compare the MS Plaid with the Taycan Turbo S and say that the Taycan is double the price for less range and less performance. My Taycan which was fairly well optioned came out to $105,960 before tax (-$7,500 tax credit = $98,460). I believe the Model S was about $105,000 at the time I purchased the Taycan. My insurance is also $1,100 less per year than with my MS. You can make the RWD much more expensive and say it is way more expensive than a LR Model S, but you can also add way more things that aren’t even an option on the Tesla (For example, I chose a $3,000 paint option, you can get massaging seats and customize everything to make get it designed the exact way you want). For this price, the build quality is on another level than the Tesla. There is not a single panel gap, and I cannot make something move nor creak no matter how hard I press. The doors close so much more solid than even a brand new MS. I would much rather have a more comfortable car than a faster one, but to each their own.

Service and Experience

2016 MS: 2/10
2022 MS: 2/10

The whole experience of the ordering process has been so seamless. I built my car online, sent my code to a local dealership, gave them a $5,000 deposit over the phone and then began to track my vehicle. With the Taycan, you are given a link to Track Your Dream where you can see exactly where your car is and what steps it has completed. You even get a couple production pictures throughout the journey so you can see how it is looking. My sales advisor was super helpful and I could ask him any time I had a question. The delivery experience took about an hour, paper work taking about 20 minutes and setting up the car taking up the rest of the time. Was also given some money to spend in the store which was a nice touch. For service, they can pick up and drop off my car which I was told I would have on my Model S, but after a couple years I was told that Tesla does not, and has never offered that (which I knew was not true). Nice how Tesla does the mobile services now as that fixed that issue, but as long as I don't have to drive to a service center I do not mind it getting taken there, or done at my house. With my Tesla, I could never get in contact with someone, my issues were never fully resolved, and my sister even cancelled an order for a Tesla after her delivery date kept getting delayed and she was unable to contact anyone.

Conclusion

The Model S is an amazing electric vehicle and without its success, I highly doubt the Taycan would even exist today. The space in the trunk is less and the rear space is a bit less (can fit 5 for a 20 minute drive or so comfortably, but would not want to do a longer trip with 5). If you are looking for the best electric vehicle that holds a lot of space, has the most reliable supercharger network, and gives you astronomical acceleration, without a doubt the Model S is the best option out there. But if you have a smaller family and can charge at home (or even have an Electrify America nearby), then the Taycan is definitely worth at least test driving. You will be blown away the second you sit inside and feel the quality of all the materials. I ordered my car at the beginning of February, and it arrived at the dealership at the end of June. While looks are very subjective, I find that the Taycan is a better looking vehicle, especially with its light bar in the back, and more refined interior. Attached are a few pics, I will take more eventually but have been busy with work, getting it tinted, and new wheels.

Taycan was one of the cars I was considering to replace my old MS. While I found the NVH mitigation absolutely fantastic compared to both my Teslas (which have had a lot of insulation added by me) the drive was a bit underwhelming.

Dont get me wrong, the Taycan corners very flat (this was the Turbo S model) but the feeling was a bit artificial. Like a CGI Leia Organa, you know what I mean?

The other issues were : a very laggy touch interface (so many screens, none of them snappy?). Interior materials were a notch below the Panamera.

Pluses were: great styling, very comfortable ride, better fit and finish than Tesla, lots more exterior and interior paint and material choices, better build quality (better put-together).

I am waiting for the MBZ EQE to test drive it, none are available until the end of the year, I think.

Hi guys, Im taking delivery of my plaid (hopefully this week due to bumper defect upon inspection....) I also looked at the Taycan Cross turismo 4S , turbo and after going through 3 dealers and getting the "we wont sell to you unless its 25-35k over msrp" response, I started looking at the plaid... liked the no bs ordering... To be honest, while its a Porsche, we just need to keep in mind its a first gen electric Porsche and if vs a model S which has been updated over the years, I think the underlying tech is better on the Model S. So, I decided not to play that game with Porsche and took the plunge on a plaid instead...and save 100k in the process... As to the EQS from Mercedes, I even tried the AMG version and while it had a great interior, it wasnt exactly super fast to me... same BS the dealer told me about 25K over sticker. I said I would get it today at MSRP and he told me to wait 2 years... lol. Southern CA stealerships are so funny nowadays.

Taycan was one of the cars I was considering to replace my old MS. While I found the NVH mitigation absolutely fantastic compared to both my Teslas (which have had a lot of insulation added by me) the drive was a bit underwhelming.

Dont get me wrong, the Taycan corners very flat (this was the Turbo S model) but the feeling was a bit artificial. Like a CGI Leia Organa, you know what I mean?

The other issues were : a very laggy touch interface (so many screens, none of them snappy?). Interior materials were a notch below the Panamera.

Pluses were: great styling, very comfortable ride, better fit and finish than Tesla, lots more exterior and interior paint and material choices, better build quality (better put-together).

I am waiting for the MBZ EQE to test drive it, none are available until the end of the year, I think.
I would have to agree here. I wish Tesla would offer more color options. This is the reason why color wraps are so popular in the Tesla community. Like Tesla, Porsche needs to control their margins and it's probably the reason why you feel that the interior materials were a notch below the Panamera.

Never test drove the MB EV's. Their interior design is high quality, but not my taste in terms of style. Feels like I'm going to a nightclub in Vegas. From all the reviews I see on Youtube, the touch interface of Lucid, MB, and Porsche, are all laggy. I can't imagine if you add more software features if it will make it worse. I work in the software industry and software pushes the boundaries of hardware. If the hardware is not powerful enough to run more graphic intensive software, then you'll need to buy another car.

Hi guys, Im taking delivery of my plaid (hopefully this week due to bumper defect upon inspection....) I also looked at the Taycan Cross turismo 4S , turbo and after going through 3 dealers and getting the "we wont sell to you unless its 25-35k over msrp" response, I started looking at the plaid... liked the no bs ordering... To be honest, while its a Porsche, we just need to keep in mind its a first gen electric Porsche and if vs a model S which has been updated over the years, I think the underlying tech is better on the Model S. So, I decided not to play that game with Porsche and took the plunge on a plaid instead...and save 100k in the process... As to the EQS from Mercedes, I even tried the AMG version and while it had a great interior, it wasnt exactly super fast to me... same BS the dealer told me about 25K over sticker. I said I would get it today at MSRP and he told me to wait 2 years... lol. Southern CA stealerships are so funny nowadays.
This is why traditional auto will fail and why dealership will be obsolete. If traditional auto continues to leverage dealerships and dealer networks continue to lobby their local politicians, then Tesla will win. Ford has started cracking down on dealers putting 25-50k markups on the Mach-E. They are getting desperate and people will simply go over to Tesla and save the mental pain of haggling or dealing with sleazy sales people.

I would have to agree here. I wish Tesla would offer more color options. This is the reason why color wraps are so popular in the Tesla community. Like Tesla, Porsche needs to control their margins and it's probably the reason why you feel that the interior materials were a notch below the Panamera.

Never test drove the MB EV's. Their interior design is high quality, but not my taste in terms of style. Feels like I'm going to a nightclub in Vegas. From all the reviews I see on Youtube, the touch interface of Lucid, MB, and Porsche, are all laggy. I can't imagine if you add more software features if it will make it worse. I work in the software industry and software pushes the boundaries of hardware. If the hardware is not powerful enough to run more graphic intensive software, then you'll need to buy another car.
Agreed on all points.

I sat in the EQS and while materials are a bit higher quality, they weren’t exactly appealing to me, for some reason.

The design of the interior was too busy in front of the driver. it was too big and weird shaped, from the outside.

But on a slight update for my delivery, because my plaid with 21 had a big bumper gash .... and new bumper replacement is not until the 20th... I decided to swap to another plaid in stock which has 19" instead... My only gripe with Tesla is if qc could get a bit better... other than that their service has been great. And to your point.. Yes. I think traditional dealerships will be obsolete because with the reduction of service intervals with EV and over the air updates, their role is being slowly diminished. Unless they change their methods, its an unfortunate eventuality for them. In the interim, Im quite happy I dont have to deal anymore with some of those dealerships anymore.