Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tech Talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kipernicus

Model S Res#P1440
Dec 2, 2009
Belmont, CA
There's an event this weekend at the Menlo Park store:

Join us at Tesla Menlo Park for a Model S Tech Talk February 11th, 3pm.

Model S Beta Prototype Display Hours
February 11th - 12th
Saturday: 10am-6pm
Sunday: 12pm-5pm

Nicolas Verzeni, Manager, Powertrain Research & Development will host a technical discussion about our ground breaking Model S platform and the advantage of building an electric vehicle from the ground up.

There's an event this weekend at the Menlo Park store:

Join us at Tesla Menlo Park for a Model S Tech Talk February 11th, 3pm.

Model S Beta Prototype Display Hours
February 11th - 12th
Saturday: 10am-6pm
Sunday: 12pm-5pm

Nicolas Verzeni, Manager, Powertrain Research & Development will host a technical discussion about our ground breaking Model S platform and the advantage of building an electric vehicle from the ground up.

I'll be there with my wife (who's shown interest for the first time in checking out the beta!) and son.

Does anyone have any questions that Nicolas can possibly answer? No, not about the leather seats and such :smile:

I would appriciate asking the following. I had to take my Volt through about 18" of water on the interstate. I had no other choice. I knew it went through GM's standard fording tests OK, and GM has posted a video with water comming up over two feet, so I had confidence. I did it with no issues. I would like to know if the Model S will be capable if ever needed.

What are the Model S's fording capabilities? Can you submerge the powertrain without damage?

Thanks,

GSP

I might not be able to make it, but here are a few questions:

• What is the resolution of the 17" touchscreen? Is it LED backlit with dynamic "local dimming"?
    Do the screens have an ambient light sensor to automatically adjust brightness.

• How well are critical functions isolated from infotainment features. (Back at the 2009 LA premiere, a frozen/locked-up touchscreen also meant a frozen speedometer during a test ride.)

• Has Tesla been following or are they aware of the many bugs the Fisker Karma is currently suffering? This is the risk of putting so many things under software control. What is Tesla doing to make sure they don't have similar bugs once Model S deliveries commence?

• Have they made any progress deciding how they will package the 60 and the 40 kWh battery packs? Number of cells, etc..

• Have they finalized how the Model S will handle DC charging? (Are they definitely using the SAE protocol with PLC?) Have they actually done DC fast charging with their new connector. (I believe the cars at the October event were charged using a different connector through the trunk.)

• Has Tesla made any decision regarding 3-phase charging for European customers. (For example, in Switzerland they're limited to 16A single phase, which means 3.6kW charging for an 85kWh battery pack... likely over 24 hours for a full charge.)

How well are critical functions isolated from infotainment features. (Back at the 2009 LA premiere, a frozen/locked-up touchscreen also meant a frozen speedometer during a test ride.)

Partial answer: pretty sure the instrument panel and the center screen have separate systems.

Questions: (Probably more than you can ask)

When will the Supercharger announcement be made?

Are there other differences between the battery packs than the capacity (and its effects on cycling) ?

What is Powertrain R&D working on, in so far as it isn't secret?

Will regen be adjustable?

Will there be range mode, standard mode, etc, like on the Roadster?

In how far is the Model S similar or different to the Roadster in regard to battery characteristics and are there resulting differences for the owner?

Did testing with betas which are closer to production reveal that there might be small adjustments to the calculated 55mph ranges 160, 230, and 300?

What are the ranges at 65 mph and 70 mph?

Does the Performance version have the exact same battery pack as the non-performance 85 kWh version?

• Will the HVAC be able to heat the car to a comfortable temperature when it's -20° C (-5° F) outside?
  • In case they answer "yes" to doug's question about 3~ support, follow up with "That's not just plug compatibility with only one phase connected, right? All three phases will be utilized?" (*)
  • Whenever Tesla decides to support three phase, will 230 V three phase be supported in addition to 400 V? (**)
  • Tesla will eventually have to support three phase charging at 44 kW if you want to sell any cars in Europe. Even the little Zoe supports this. Will Tesla follow Renault's example and integrate the three phase charger with the motor drive, to be able to reuse the regeneration circuitry to charge from the grid?

(*) Both Tesla's Danish and Norwegian representatives have answered "yes, we will support three phase", when all they had to back up their claim was three phase to Tesla adapters that only connect one of the phases.

(**) This would be very much appreciated in Norway.

Last edited:

• Has Tesla made any decision regarding 3-phase charging for European customers. (For example, in Switzerland they're limited to 16A single phase, which means 3.6kW charging for an 85kWh battery pack... likely over 24 hours for a full charge.)

If you add "in practice" to that sentence, you can replace "Switzerland" with "Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Switzerland, the Netherlands and Austria". Italy and France are also very much affected, even though some single family houses in those countries may have single phase incomers, many don't. Even those that have single phase incomers (mostly apartment dwellers) will usually not use it to charge their cars, as they either park in the street or in a private car park in the basement.

Last edited:
They has a cool web page last night where you selected battery pack size, speed, tire size, wheel size, windows up or down and use of AC and it told you your range. They said it wasn't up on the website but might be in the stores in the touch screens soon.

Another one: Will the battery cells be balanced during every charge, or only when charging fully, like in the Roadster? This is interesting because with such a large battery as 60 or 85 kWh, a requirement to charge fully every so often to keep the cells balanced would lead to the battery spending a lot of time near full SOC, which would probably impact battery lifetime.