Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Tech Talk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm so sorry, folks; didn't get anywhere near Menlo Park :( Kid preferred to go to a B'day party and wife to a Corningware store! Hope Kipernicus gets some of these answered.

Well now I feel even sillier about asking people with 1 kid "are you GG"?

It was a good turnout, I heard over 200 people; nearly all hands went up when they asked "how many are reservation holders?" Quite a few roadsters there as well.

Info I picked up (remember):
1. The battery pack is quite well reinforced underneath, it is rather thick armor plating and there is a bit of "crumple zone" inside so the cells are not sitting right against the exterior plating.
2. They haven't decided on variable regen yet, due to the implications it has on ultimate range and they don't want people to say that they aren't getting the advertised range because they set the regen to zero. I personally think that's a weak argument that can be solved with education.
3. There will be a true "coast", neither applying power nor regenerating power - you can find it by looking at the watt meter and holding the pedal when it is at zero.
4. They do plan on publishing a graph of Range vs Speed (I showed them the roadster example)
5. They ducked quite a few questions, like what's the specific energy density of the cells, what is the weight difference between the 3 packs, and what does "TBD" for 60kwh supercharging really mean. I didn't even bother to ask about 3-phase.
6. We talked a little about the steering wheel, and he admitted the white car had one that was very "mercedes-ish" but when I asked if we'll get the one we saw on the model X he gave an answer that seemed like no. I'm not confident in my recollection of his answer so we'll have to wait and see.
7. I looked under the front of the beta and it was very smooth black plastic. It doesn't seem like there are tow points. Here's a bad pic.

IMG_2128.JPG

A get-together sounds great to me as well... I didn't make it to the menlo store today either, even though I was close by while my wife was shoe shopping a the Stanford shopping center... Sounds like it was very informative!

I'll try again to get there Sunday, but we have an early dinner arrangement that might make it tough to fit in the schedule.

I'm super curious about the steering wheel too, looking forward to what they say.

And while not exactly a technical question, I'd like to know if they will be shipping the charger stations from day one, or can at least provide mechanical and technical info so I can rough in for it during our remodel this summer.

Mitch.

• Has Tesla made any decision regarding 3-phase charging for European customers. (For example, in Switzerland they're limited to 16A single phase, which means 3.6kW charging for an 85kWh battery pack... likely over 24 hours for a full charge.)
That question indeed still remains for us European customers.

At the Model X some information came forward, but not enough.

A lot of times they say that there will be an adapter to our 3-phase "Mennekes" / Type 2 connector, but that won't mean the Model S will utilize these three phases.

long time lurker, first time poster. that would be great to know about the steering wheel. although, i called over to tesla motors and they were noncommittal about any changes to the interior of the model S from the beta. that was on wednesday though, before we saw the steering wheel on the X

So so sorry for doing that to you :(

Let's get a Bay Area Model S reservation holders gettogether going sooner than later. Would be great to get to know folks such as you, Norbert, Trnsl8r, MitchL, Strider and many more!

Thanks for all the info!

Why not? I couldn't go yesterday due to a pre-birthing class to prepare for "number two" (yeah I know, my priorities are so backwards). But I'll be game some other weekend.