Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a phone number or e-mail address to contact in the event of an "Oh $h!7" auto pilot moment? I e-mailed my local SC but thus far no response. I would like to have someone pull my car's logs and see if they can determine what went wrong this morning as AP essentially tried to change lanes and ram the vehicle ahead of me and to my right. Just happy I was paying attention and keeping my hands on the wheel otherwise this could have gotten ugly real quick. (about 28 seconds in )

Is there a phone number or e-mail address to contact in the event of an "Oh $h!7" auto pilot moment? I e-mailed my local SC but thus far no response. I would like to have someone pull my car's logs and see if they can determine what went wrong this morning as AP essentially tried to change lanes and ram the vehicle ahead of me and to my right. Just happy I was paying attention and keeping my hands on the wheel otherwise this could have gotten ugly real quick. (about 28 seconds in )

[email protected]

Same thing happened to me two days ago. I was in middle lane, where I had been for a number of miles. My AP began to quickly turn toward a car I was casually passing, so I tightened my grip on the wheel, disengaging the AP. No way to know if the turn toward the other car would have continued to a crash or not. I consider my AP as only a driver assist and find that it is far more relaxing to use than not. I never trust it.

• Informative
Reactions: Geowil
You can also press the voice command key and say "Note". A short message will be sent to Tesla.

Posted this in the 'delivery' thread also. But here's what might be the first P100D in for service after delivery...

Yesterday when I picked up the car, I noticed something odd a couple of different times. While driving and not using autopilot, for just an instant the steering wheel felt like it does when you "break free" from the autopilot. After that instant the car was back to normal. I figured it might be glitch and hoped it would go away after a reboot. Drove about 40 miles today with no issues. Got out of the car for 10 minutes, then got back in, at that time it was like there was no power steering at all.

I've had this happen in regular cars and I seem to recall that it wasn't too hard to steer at speed on the highway. In this case it was definitely easier on the highway but still pretty difficult, even for just changing lanes.

Hopefully they can fix it soon. I've been lucky with my previous 2 cars, so maybe I was due for some mystery.

Yesterday when I picked up the car, I noticed something odd a couple of different times. While driving and not using autopilot, for just an instant the steering wheel felt like it does when you "break free" from the autopilot. After that instant the car was back to normal. I figured it might be glitch and hoped it would go away after a reboot. Drove about 40 miles today with no issues. Got out of the car for 10 minutes, then got back in, at that time it was like there was no power steering at all.

I've had this happen in regular cars and I seem to recall that it wasn't too hard to steer at speed on the highway. In this case it was definitely easier on the highway but still pretty difficult, even for just changing lanes.

Ease of non-power-steering depends upon the caster and steering axis inclination (SAI) alignment settings. The SAI is more important at low speeds and caster is more important at high speeds. I've had to drive a long distance when the power brakes went out (the Prius, not the Tesla). It's really hard to stop.

Reactions: CraigS
Posted this in the 'delivery' thread also. But here's what might be the first P100D in for service after delivery...

Hopefully they can fix it soon. I've been lucky with my previous 2 cars, so maybe I was due for some mystery.

Just talked to the service advisor...evidently there was a steering rack mechanical failure and they're ordering another from Freemont. Maybe in order to maximize the straight-line power it was trying to eliminate turning altogether :)

Is anyone having trouble with their climate control on the Tesla App? I have 8.0 installed on my S and using an iPhone 7 on ios10. I am unable to turn it on or off. I have rebooted the car and phone multiple times.

I've also noticed even more sluggish app to car updates with 8.0. It was bad before, now it appears to sometimes take a minute or more before the spinner goes away before I can control climate. I have always connected on, energy savings enabled, and didn't change anything except getting the 8.0 update.

Just talked to the service advisor...evidently there was a steering rack mechanical failure and they're ordering another from Freemont. Maybe in order to maximize the straight-line power it was trying to eliminate turning altogether :)

Got the car back a week ago, turns out there was something in the electrical steering assist that was grounding out. Seems to be all good now. Just need to figure out how to easily use favorites in audio and get the top bar back when Nav is on the top in 8.0 now

Got the car back a week ago, turns out there was something in the electrical steering assist that was grounding out. Seems to be all good now. Just need to figure out how to easily use favorites in audio and get the top bar back when Nav is on the top in 8.0 now

To get the top bar back you just tap on the map. But there is no option to keep the bar displayed.

Reactions: CraigS
Same thing happened to me two days ago. I was in middle lane, where I had been for a number of miles. My AP began to quickly turn toward a car I was casually passing, so I tightened my grip on the wheel, disengaging the AP. No way to know if the turn toward the other car would have continued to a crash or not. I consider my AP as only a driver assist and find that it is far more relaxing to use than not. I never trust it.
I do not trust it. I found that when I came to the end of a passing section and there were dashed lines at the end where you merge back to a regular two lane road, the car wanted to follow the dashed line straight off the road. So, I only use AP when I want to show other people how cool it is, or if my eyes will be off the road for a bit e.g. rummaging in the glove compartment or trying to reach something that has fallen off the passenger's seat, etc.; when AP would be safer than not using it. It is very good but not perfect, so I respect it.

I've had this happen a couple of times as well. In the old 7.x P85D it happened maybe once or twice in the time that I owned it. On Sunday I did a day trip to Orlando from Ft. Lauderdale - about 3.5 hours. It happened twice on the way up. It's funny that I don't recall it ever happening when there's no one next to me. Maybe if it did it would be less memorable, but I still don't recall that. I wonder if they log these instances based on how aggressively you take over or how quickly in the opposite direction to something the car was trying to do.

I still love it and use it everyday. I'm not reading or anything crazy when it's on, but I do have a lot of hands off and still generally trust it.

Hi all,
I got into my car today and noticed that the horn is broken. It sounds muffled and barely audible...

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Got air suspension? Hook up an air horn in its place, plumb a reservoir into the suspension air pump as a source. Solenoid triggered, tied into the original horn circuit.

For best effect, use a train locomotive set of 3 tuned horns.

That will split traffic in front of you like Moses dividing the waters, to make an empty lane.

...hey you asked for suggestions!

Apologies if this has been discussed already... I've noticed recently (music is usually on so could have been going on all along) that when I accelerate any amount, there is a faint high pitched noise. As soon as I let off the accelerator it stops. Is this normal?