Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What troubles me is the radiator rock hit. It's not like we took the thing off roading. It was sub 40mph driving on well driven clean roads. We bought the S 90D with the intention of taking up to the mountains for snowboarding and road tripping on far worse roads. It seems like a major design flaw that a rock could so easily penetrate the radiator.
And they said that this isn't covered by the warranty.
Again, nothing beats autopilot and there isn't anything nearly as good as this on the market so it isn't like we can really take our dollars elsewhere but the radiator hit definitely shook me. All the cosmetic stuff was whatever. Rolled off my shoulder but coming out to your electric car to see a big green puddle under it? Definitely a shocker.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
It seems like a major design flaw that a rock could so easily penetrate the radiator.
And they said that this isn't covered by the warranty.
You're the first person I've ever heard of with this issue, and impacts of any sort are not covered by any warranty that I'm aware of. If it were a design flaw we'd probably see a lot more incidents such as yours. I think you just had a freak accident of sorts, the right sized rock bouncing at just the right angle and speed.

Well, it took almost 3 years and roughly 57k miles but it has happened, I need another new drive unit. See post here for the original replacement not long after I got the car.

Went down to the service center yesterday and had a tech take a listen and they made the call to replace the drive unit in about 5 seconds! I had been dealing with the increased noise under all phases of acceleration for a while but I'm glad I finally took it in to get it diagnosed. Also VERY glad that the drive unit was included in the 8 yr. 125k battery warranty! Actual surgery scheduled for Friday.

We were leaf owners for 5 years with no drama and no additional costs... This car is the definition of drama.

We were early adopters of the nissan leaf and had zero issues ever.

I guess it depends. I've had more issues with my Leaf than with my Tesla and that's not even considering battery degradation which I consider to be a major defect with the Leaf because of the lack of a thermal management system for the battery. And now that my warranty has just expired on my Leaf, the check engine light recently came on and I'm told it's the parking brake actuator problem, which I found out over at the Leaf forums is a common problem that costs $700US to fix. Here the dealer is quoting upwards of $1kCan.

I guess it depends. I've had more issues with my Leaf than with my Tesla and that's not even considering battery degradation which I consider to be a major defect with the Leaf because of the lack of a thermal management system for the battery. And now that my warranty has just expired on my Leaf, the check engine light recently came on and I'm told it's the parking brake actuator problem, which I found out over at the Leaf forums is a common problem that costs $700US to fix. Here the dealer is quoting upwards of $1kCan.

Fair enough for sure, We probably just got super lucky. Our car karma just finally came up :)

Several of us have had an issue with the rear liftgate not opening. There is a thread on this issue here:

Rear trunk won't open

I believe there are about ten posters that have described the same issue. What happens is that the car thinks the liftgate is open when it isn't. I believe in all cases the actuator needed to be replaced.

Of note is that the emergency release, which I believe is now a federal safety requirement, does not operate when the actuator fails. Perhaps this is something Tesla will look at improving in the future.

My subwoofer isn't working. I have the premium audio package and nothing is coming out from it. Not only that, my regular speakers don't output the proper bass levels occasionally. It cuts in and out. I do a reboot and the sound plays fine for a while but it eventually cuts out again. I'm scheduled to go in mid January to get it checked out.

What troubles me is the radiator rock hit. It's not like we took the thing off roading. It was sub 40mph driving on well driven clean roads. We bought the S 90D with the intention of taking up to the mountains for snowboarding and road tripping on far worse roads. It seems like a major design flaw that a rock could so easily penetrate the radiator.
And they said that this isn't covered by the warranty. .........snip.......
would you expect a new windshield if a rock took it out? The home we sold in the flathead valley MT area is notorious for having lots of rocks fly up and take out paint - radiators - glass etc. I'd guess a full 20% of folks just drive with the broken glass. You can always put in a mesh in front of the radiator if your areas you drive around are likely to get rocks thrown up onto the car.

I just canceled my M3 reservation based on the service issues that so many Tesla Owners face. I have a good friend that was an earlier adopted (2012 purchase of MS) who recently referred to it as a POS. he is happy it has retained value well but does not intend to trade it for a new Tesla. That sealed my decision

Sorry to hear that Yeoman. Do you know what percentage of defects per Cars produced?

It is not the % of defects that scares me, it is the consistent talk of slow service and massive delays at service stations. I have also seen a number of MX's here in NY and have yet to find one without a noticeable manufacturing issue (irregular panel spacing, large gaps etc) With these issues I see no reason to pre order. It is not like I won't be able to buy one eventually if the company proves that the M3 rollout will be without issue. I am also affected by CR changes in recommendation as they have pulled Tesla recommendations based on reliability. I am not going to leave 1000 to have a place in line unless I am 100% sure that it is the best choice and given the issues, and the new entrants I think getting my money back is the way to go

Ok...being an early adopter of technology has never been cheap. It comes with risks. I have the first microchannel pc and the first EISA bus pc in my basement...I keep them as a reminder of when I paid over 4K for each computer. They were obsolete in months. I bought them out of excitement but I also wanted to support the development of PCs over Macs. I do the same for Tesla. I want to live to see a future when we enjoy the benefits of technology and free clean energy.

From a financial perspective...my model 3 investment of $1000 was made on day 1. I hope as a MS owner I get first dibs on acquiring my M3. If it is any good I may keep it and sell MY S but if my S is better, I believe with 400000 people waiting to own the M3 may allow me to sell it for a nice profit.

What do you think about that approach?

From a financial perspective...my model 3 investment of $1000 was made on day 1. I hope as a MS owner I get first dibs on acquiring my M3. If it is any good I may keep it and sell MY S but if my S is better, I believe with 400000 people waiting to own the M3 may allow me to sell it for a nice profit.

What do you think about that approach?
I think that your purchasing a new car in the hopes of turning a profit is foolish.

then you wouldn't be buying it as an investment.

Exactly Kort...

See - she makes me smart when I'm foolish....then it would have been just a good buy instead of a foolish investment.

But in my ancient foolish way of thinking...the people I know who would pay 50% more just to have the greatest latest toy...people who have 5 cars all luxury garage Queens, may have been smarter in my book. Who knows, we may find out later. Because if I'm offered a chunk of change....I'ld get her the X.