TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DrComputer, Sep 27, 2012.

1. Coady

Coady Member

Same here. It's definitely the AC in my car. I always use custom climate settings, when switching AC off manually while vents are still on, the humming stops.

2. TParker602

TParker602 New Member

First post... wish it was 100% positive one.
    I have a 2012 P85 and love it. I experienced a tough week which started with my phone not connecting via Bluetooth. I then noticed my app wasn't able to communicate to the car and confirmed the vehicle wasn't connected via a Tesla rep. I went through the reboot process only to have my center screen go black and not come back to life. Took it so the SC and was told the MCU had to be replaced. Thankfully I have the Extended Service coverage and the work is under warranty. Only the component is said to take anywhere from 2-6 weeks to come in. The SC has been great as usual taking care of the situation. I for one am glad for the Extended coverage and best in class customer service.

3. bareyb

bareyb Active Member

I have basically the same car, one year newer, and I've been contemplating getting the extended warranty. I think I will. That sounds like it could've been expensive. ;)

4. TParker602

TParker602 New Member

They said it would be $3K if not for extended warranty... plus the MCU is showing 3-6 weeks to get in. The Tesla can still drive, but now controls or air conditioning... however the real problem was without the MCU to meter the charging, it only trickle charged at a fraction of the speed (4 hours for 2 miles of charge) which obviously was t going to work... So, the Extended provided a loaner that would have been a lengthy rental I would have had to invest in. Definitely a supporter of the Extended coverage!

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

Had a weird issue with the mirrors not unfolding today. Would be interested in ideas as to what it might be outside of a "software glitch." I had parked car while at the gym. When I returned, and after I got in the car, started it and was about to put it into reverse, I noticed that the mirrors had not unfolded. I rebooted both the MCU and the CID to no avail. I locked and unlocked the car - did not work. Then I exited the car, double clicked the fob to manually open the car, and sat down again. That cleared the issue and the mirrors unfolded. This has never happened before. Car is a little over 2 years old, an 85D. Running 32.6 ca28227. Thoughts?

PS I searched the forum and didn't find any other instances of this behavior noted.

6. Don85D

Don85D Member

I have become more stoic about folding mirrors over the life of many vehicles. They all break down eventually. I prefer to manually fold them when required and I disable the power folding circuit usually by cutting a wire. That was the case for our last BMW and I expect to have to do that same when the Tesla gets older. We have the same 85D as yours.

In your case, a warranty claim would be appropriate to at least log the issue.

7. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

Thanks for the info. It hasn't recurred so I will wait and see, and/or note it when I am in next for Service, which will likely be in about a month.