Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear that. My early 2013 has had 3G dropouts since day 1, but so far, so good with the MCU (he says knocking on wood!)
The other thing I had observed was that the car's systems, including the MCU, took longer to boot up when I entered the car after it was asleep. It was noticeably different from previous behavior. Might be a coincidence — can't really say. At one point, many months ago, I had 3G dropouts but they seemed to have been corrected by a routine firmware update. In the weeks before the MCU failure the dropouts had come back: the 3G connection would be gone when I started the car and left home, which was not usual before.

I may be trying to see patterns where none really exist...

Hi all, wondering if there is a summary like on page 1 of this thread that lists typical failures of the S after 6 years of them being out. We have a 2012 and most things have been fixed, but I want to make sure we are checking for everything before our CPO expires.

We have a new hv battery on order and today I found a few bubbles at the top of our center display, so glad that will also be taken care of before warranty expiration. will hey replace the mcu at the same time as the display or can i insist on that?

Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: pan
@mknox - we had a sudden loss of about 10-15% range and Tesla tested it and is replacing under warranty. We have a little over a year left on our CPO warranty and that is why I want to go down a checklist of known issues and make sure they are all addressed before the warranty expires.

Reactions: mrElbe
@mknox - we had a sudden loss of about 10-15% range and Tesla tested it and is replacing under warranty. We have a little over a year left on our CPO warranty and that is why I want to go down a checklist of known issues and make sure they are all addressed before the warranty expires.

Nice. Glad they're looking after this for you. Remember that the battery and drive unit have the 8-year, unlimited mileage warranty anyway, but sure... might as well get everything checked before the bumper-to-bumper warranty expires.

The buttons on the steering of my month old Model S stopped working. I took it to service and they told me that they will be replacing the buttons on the steering. They are yet to give me a call back, it has been almost 2 weeks. Does anybody have a similar experience?

Meanwhile, my GPS was stuck when I was driving one night, and yesterday my car stopped detecting lanes.

The buttons on the steering of my month old Model S stopped working. I took it to service and they told me that they will be replacing the buttons on the steering. They are yet to give me a call back, it has been almost 2 weeks. Does anybody have a similar experience?

Meanwhile, my GPS was stuck when I was driving one night, and yesterday my car stopped detecting lanes.
From reading this forum for more than 2 years, I'm not aware of pervasive problems with steering wheel buttons themselves, so hopefully you have a one-off failure. Do some searching here -- you'll find references to oddities some people have encountered with GPS and car orientation on the Nav. Lane detection problems can be for a myriad of reasons -- hard to provide any more pointers with the info you provided, e.g. did they come back as you kept traveling or are they permanently off never to be seen again? ;)

OTOH, I'm sorry to say there are plenty of experiences across this and other forums with service delays, especially when parts are involved. E.g. I'm at the 11-month mark waiting for a new front seat to arrive to resolve under-warranty increasing broken stitching where the drivers side airbag deploys from. The first replacement seat finally arrived at the 5-month mark, but when my SC went to install it, found it had different physical connectors than what my MS would accept, so had to start the "special order" process all over again and I'm waiting even longer this time around. Sigh.

Reactions: SNMD
I did get the GPS back next morning, and the lanes came back after I got home and parked :). The steering buttons do come alive once every week for a very short time.

I am hoping its not going to be months for the buttons/steering column. I called them yesterday and most likely it will be here next week.

New here and looks to be allot of information on this forum. I have a 2017 Model 'S' P100D. Purchased it new and noticed that the passenger door handle doesn't retract into the car all the time. Anyone know if this is an easy fix or am I doing something wrong?
Congrats on your new MS. All handles should go in and out together -- its not something you have individual control over. If you're only having issues with a single handle, you should add it to your list to have your Service Center take a look at upon your next visit.

My tail lights recently crazed and cracked all the way though. I live in Northern coastal CA and just went to Arizona for 2 weeks. Car can't handle the dry heat. It couldn't handle the summer heat in San Rafael either when it was at service and my center console began bubbling a couple of years ago. And originally I had(still have) sunroof issues with temperatures, which was the first temperature related problem I found.that was never taken care of and was a problem since early 2013
that crap should have all been covered under warranty but wasn't.
these things are engineering defects in my opinion.
nothing has ever hit the taillight. the other side began doing the same thing. happened quite rapidly.
IMG-0177.JPG
IMG-0244.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
From reading this forum for more than 2 years, I'm not aware of pervasive problems with steering wheel buttons themselves, so hopefully you have a one-off failure. Do some searching here -- you'll find references to oddities some people have encountered with GPS and car orientation on the Nav. Lane detection problems can be for a myriad of reasons -- hard to provide any more pointers with the info you provided, e.g. did they come back as you kept traveling or are they permanently off never to be seen again? ;)

OTOH, I'm sorry to say there are plenty of experiences across this and other forums with service delays, especially when parts are involved. E.g. I'm at the 11-month mark waiting for a new front seat to arrive to resolve under-warranty increasing broken stitching where the drivers side airbag deploys from. The first replacement seat finally arrived at the 5-month mark, but when my SC went to install it, found it had different physical connectors than what my MS would accept, so had to start the "special order" process all over again and I'm waiting even longer this time around. Sigh.

Got the fix after 3 weeks. Incidentally, my MCU froze and speakers started making this sound where the podcast I was listening to was stuck. Since my steering buttons were not working, I cannot do any reset. I drove to the service center, which is really close by (thankfully) and told them to do something. They disconnected the batteries and then scheduled me to come the next day and installed a new airbag assembly with steering buttons. I have had no issues since.

Got the fix after 3 weeks. Incidentally, my MCU froze and speakers started making this sound where the podcast I was listening to was stuck. Since my steering buttons were not working, I cannot do any reset. I drove to the service center, which is really close by (thankfully) and told them to do something. They disconnected the batteries and then scheduled me to come the next day and installed a new airbag assembly with steering buttons. I have had no issues since.
Glad to hear your problems have been resolved. We'll hope it stays that way! Enjoy that MS!

Reactions: SNMD
I have had my Back trunk lid open without me doing anything. Once when I can to my parked car it was open and once when I was sitting in the passenger seat it opened. Any one else had this happen.

2016 Model S P90D
I bet you keep your FOB in your front pocket as I do.

For me, the mysterious open issue tends to happen with the frunk and/or trunk when something in my pocket pushes the button on the FOB without my realizing it. A simple key ring with whatever hangs from it in addition to the FOB, if it inadvertently moves on top of the FOB inside your pocket, can cause the problem when I least expect it -- typically as I enter or exit my MS. Installing an Abstract Ocean FOB cover made it just a little harder to push the buttons and reduced my problems, but did not solve it 100%. For nearly 2 years since I've figured all that out, I habitually ensure the top buttons on the FOB are always facing out as I put the FOB into my pocket, and I don't keep anything else in there at the same time. Since changing my ways, I have few mysterious opens... but I should add that "too tight jeans" will still make the problem happen more often than not. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Gt1948 and mrElbe
I bet you keep your FOB in your front pocket as I do.

For me, the mysterious open issue tends to happen with the frunk and/or trunk when something in my pocket pushes the button on the FOB without my realizing it. A simple key ring with whatever hangs from it in addition to the FOB, if it inadvertently moves on top of the FOB inside your pocket, can cause the problem when I least expect it -- typically as I enter or exit my MS. Installing an Abstract Ocean FOB cover made it just a little harder to push the buttons and reduced my problems, but did not solve it 100%. For nearly 2 years since I've figured all that out, I habitually ensure the top buttons on the FOB are always facing out as I put the FOB into my pocket, and I don't keep anything else in there at the same time. Since changing my ways, I have few mysterious opens... but I should add that "too tight jeans" will still make the problem happen more often than not. ;)
Experienced something similar. Driver's side front door unlatched while driving over the weekend. Today the trunk opened by itself while I was on the highway, but luckily it decided to close itself after about 12 seconds. Can't remember if the fob was in my pocket or not, but will keep it out as suggested for now.

Greetings all - I have owned/worked on a wide variety of cars and airplanes, so I am not a novice mechanic [although not a professional either!]. I have also worked on high voltage radio frequency amplifiers, so have a great respect for the lethality of the juice.

With that as a preamble, is it reasonable to think that an owner of a Tesla can do serious work on their own vehicle? Taking the infamous "milling noise" as an example, this seems to boil down to all steel bearings getting pitted by very high EMF. The fix seems to be an off-the shelf SKF ceramic-coated bearing. Is this someone who as worked on Jaguar fuel injected V12's pull off? This will get to be a more serious question as more and more model S cars go off warrantee.

Perhaps I havn't looked very hard, but I don't see many references to this sort of thing?

best,

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
Picked up my shiny new S75D a couple of weeks ago. Was out of town the last few days and when I got in the car this morning, the display was blank. I was able to shift and leave for work, but no AC, radio, maps, etc. After about 15 minutes, the display booted with no explanation of what was going on. Is this normal, Any thoughts?