TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

Discussion in 'Model S' started by DrComputer, Sep 27, 2012.

1. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado high altitude member

The other thing I had observed was that the car's systems, including the MCU, took longer to boot up when I entered the car after it was asleep. It was noticeably different from previous behavior. Might be a coincidence — can't really say. At one point, many months ago, I had 3G dropouts but they seemed to have been corrected by a routine firmware update. In the weeks before the MCU failure the dropouts had come back: the 3G connection would be gone when I started the car and left home, which was not usual before.

I may be trying to see patterns where none really exist...

2. peakay

peakay Member

Hi all, wondering if there is a summary like on page 1 of this thread that lists typical failures of the S after 6 years of them being out. We have a 2012 and most things have been fixed, but I want to make sure we are checking for everything before our CPO expires.

We have a new hv battery on order and today I found a few bubbles at the top of our center display, so glad that will also be taken care of before warranty expiration. will hey replace the mcu at the same time as the display or can i insist on that?

Thanks!

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

4. peakay

peakay Member

@mknox - we had a sudden loss of about 10-15% range and Tesla tested it and is replacing under warranty. We have a little over a year left on our CPO warranty and that is why I want to go down a checklist of known issues and make sure they are all addressed before the warranty expires.

• Like x 1
  5. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Nice. Glad they're looking after this for you. Remember that the battery and drive unit have the 8-year, unlimited mileage warranty anyway, but sure... might as well get everything checked before the bumper-to-bumper warranty expires.

6. SNMD

SNMD Member

The buttons on the steering of my month old Model S stopped working. I took it to service and they told me that they will be replacing the buttons on the steering. They are yet to give me a call back, it has been almost 2 weeks. Does anybody have a similar experience?

Meanwhile, my GPS was stuck when I was driving one night, and yesterday my car stopped detecting lanes.

7. BertL

BertL Active Member

From reading this forum for more than 2 years, I'm not aware of pervasive problems with steering wheel buttons themselves, so hopefully you have a one-off failure. Do some searching here -- you'll find references to oddities some people have encountered with GPS and car orientation on the Nav. Lane detection problems can be for a myriad of reasons -- hard to provide any more pointers with the info you provided, e.g. did they come back as you kept traveling or are they permanently off never to be seen again? ;)

OTOH, I'm sorry to say there are plenty of experiences across this and other forums with service delays, especially when parts are involved. E.g. I'm at the 11-month mark waiting for a new front seat to arrive to resolve under-warranty increasing broken stitching where the drivers side airbag deploys from. The first replacement seat finally arrived at the 5-month mark, but when my SC went to install it, found it had different physical connectors than what my MS would accept, so had to start the "special order" process all over again and I'm waiting even longer this time around. Sigh.

8. SNMD

SNMD Member

I did get the GPS back next morning, and the lanes came back after I got home and parked :). The steering buttons do come alive once every week for a very short time.

I am hoping its not going to be months for the buttons/steering column. I called them yesterday and most likely it will be here next week.