Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2016 Model S 90D has started taking a long time to boot up the "system" when I get in and am ready to roll. Is anyone seeing this pursuant to recent "upgrades"? Or is it my problem and my problem alone...
Not just your problem — I've noticed this in my 2014 S60 for some months now. I presume that it was a change intended to reduce vampire drain. If so, and my car goes to sleep and takes five seconds or so to wake up, I don't have a problem with it.

I have an "unsupported" (salvage rebuilt) facelift 2016 Model S. My car isn't getting a reading from the ambient temperature sensor, so the dash reads -- F*. Because of this issue, the A/C won't cool. Can someone indicate where exactly the ambient temperature sensor is located on the car. I've searched all over the car and internet and have had zero luck. Also if you could indicate what wiring harness attaches to the sensor that'd be helpful as well. Thanks in advance!

I have an "unsupported" (salvage rebuilt) facelift 2016 Model S. My car isn't getting a reading from the ambient temperature sensor, so the dash reads -- F*. Because of this issue, the A/C won't cool. Can someone indicate where exactly the ambient temperature sensor is located on the car. I've searched all over the car and internet and have had zero luck. Also if you could indicate what wiring harness attaches to the sensor that'd be helpful as well. Thanks in advance!
Disregard. FInally found the wire. Ambient temperature sensor plugs into the front wiring harness that connects to the fog lights and parking distance sensors. A/C works great now, finally.

Car is functioning as expected, no notifications in the screen, but found some strange error messages when connected to CID. Any Ideas? Should I worry about it?

carserver/recentAlerts,
THC_d0004_pumpPT @2019-02-10T11:52:54 @hidden @,
THC_d0005_pumpBat1 @2019-02-10T11:52:54 @hidden @,
EPAS_d048_KFC_EPB_TIMO @2019-02-10T21:47:37 @hidden @2019-02-10T21:50:53,
EPAS_d076_KFC_DAS_TIMO @2019-02-10T21:47:38 @hidden @2019-02-10T21:50:53,

Since more Model S' are hitting the road I think we need to have a new sticky or sub forum for mechanical or technical issues. I was at the LA store yesterday having a vibration issue with my Roadster looked at (it was determined to be a bent rim...ouch). There were several Model S' there for service. One had a broken windshield, the others were there for upgrades or replacement of the stereo amp. The service guys said there has been an issue with the amp that can only be fixed by either replacing it or upgrading the firmware at a service center (won't work over the air). They also said they've had a few door handle issues arise already.

So far the techs have said they've seen no drive train problems, and that's a good sign. I don't want to read too much into these early delivery problems, but I think we should start to track them in a wiki or thread.

Need Input:

1. Mile range drifts down when vehicle is not being charged. It is about a 5 mile drift per 24 hours. Temp in garage is between 30-40°F and interior is between 45-55°F. Is this normal?
2. WH/Mi Average shows at 458. Temperature outside is ranging between 10-40° on average. Is this normal? Is there a way to figure out how many miles my P90DL Models S will travel based on a 90% Charge (228 Miles).?
3. There is no text in the manual when i press the manual button. This appears to be intermittent since sometimes I do get data. Any ideas?

2. WH/Mi Average shows at 458. Temperature outside is ranging between 10-40° on average. Is this normal? Is there a way to figure out how many miles my P90DL Models S will travel based on a 90% Charge (228 Miles).?

The rated range is based on 310 Wh/mile. So your average of 458 Wh/mile is ~48% higher. So you can adjust the 228 miles to ~119 miles of range if driven at 458 Wh/mile.

The rated range is based on 310 Wh/mile. So your average of 458 Wh/mile is ~48% higher. So you can adjust the 228 miles to ~119 miles of range if driven at 458 Wh/mile.

Does this mean i have an issue with my motors to burn so much power and reduce my range. Or is it because the ambient temperature is cold. Should i take to Tesla for service or is this fairly normal.

TYIA,

Harris

Does this mean i have an issue with my motors to burn so much power and reduce my range. Or is it because the ambient temperature is cold. Should i take to Tesla for service or is this fairly normal.

It usually is dependent on how you drive and what temperature you set the climate control to. So there is no way for us to know if that is normal or not because we don't know how you drive.

If I had to guess I would say it is normal based on how you drive. (For example, short trips in the cold will cause your usage to go up significantly over the same distance in one longer trip.)