Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Door handle mechanism is failing. handle travelling too far and tripping opening micro switch. Nothing to do with latch. Handle module needs to be replaced or repaired.

Ahhhhh, thank you! Well it's not happening 100% of the time now so not sure if the SC will take it seriously if they can't reproduce it :/ Guess I'll just have to see what the car decides to do when I take it there.

So I just got a "acceleration reduced contact Tesla service when convenient" message on my dashboard (2013 S 60). Based on forum searches this could be the contactors in my battery, but I'm still unclear on how major the problem is or what I should do. My local service center usually doesn't answer the phone or return messages, should I just make an appointment (soonest I can make it is June 22) and hope for the best?

So I just got a "acceleration reduced contact Tesla service when convenient" message on my dashboard (2013 S 60). Based on forum searches this could be the contactors in my battery, but I'm still unclear on how major the problem is or what I should do. My local service center usually doesn't answer the phone or return messages, should I just make an appointment (soonest I can make it is June 22) and hope for the best?

The short answer is yes, should be ok to drive and charge in the meantime.

Reactions: rjcampeau
I need to install a tow hitch on my Model S. Not for towing but for a bike rack. Any suggestions on the best hitch to buy and instructions for installation. Thanks.
"Technical/Mechanical issues"?!
After installing a hitch you WILL be on topic and get technical issues: you're no longer insured, a steel hitch will corrode the aluminium of your MS. Good luck! Or try a roofrack....

Intermittent Headlight

The right headlight of my 2013 (Pre-AP) Model S intermittently shuts off.
  • Happens whether on Auto or turned on manually
  • The in-dash "matchbox car" correctly shows status; headlight shows off when it's off (left remains lit)
  • Cycling the headlights always brings it back on (cycling the high beams does not)
I've read that others have had an issue with the ballast. I am under CPO warranty until September 2020 -- would this be covered? Is there a good way for me to document the problem for Service since it's intermittent?

I've read that others have had an issue with the ballast. I am under CPO warranty until September 2020 -- would this be covered? Is there a good way for me to document the problem for Service since it's intermittent?

Yes it should be covered. As far as documenting it you could just take a picture of the "matchbox" car showing it. Or stop and take a picture of the front of your car showing one headlight out. (Though I'm not sure it is necessary, I would hope that their logs show it.)

Hi,

I have a 2014 Model S P85+ with a parkingbrake that squeels like a pig everytime I use it. Sounds like it is going to die any second.

Do anyone have experience swapping out the parkingbrake calipper as a DIY? I am from Norway and our service centers are swamped, got a service scheduled in late September for this....So cant wait for Tesla.

Thank you!

Door hold-open stop mechanism.

The hold-open stop mechanism on my Wife's treasured '14 S Model has developed a "click". This happens when the door is opened all the way to the stop, and again when closing from the wide open position. There are two very distinct (and loud!) pops as the hold-open mechanism passes thru the detents. All fasteners are tight and lubricating seems to have made it louder.

Any BTDT before going to the tech center?

I had trouble finding these errors before so posting in case someone is looking. My 2016 refresh AP1 Model S started shutting down in a parking lot with "Power Reduced Vehicle Systems Shutting Down" and "Unable to drive Voltage supply too low." Roadside sent a flatbed to take the car 2 blocks (I could see the Tesla sign from where I was stuck) to service. They found the 12v was low and the DC-DC converter went out. Before that I hadn't gotten any warnings. Both screens went black - when the truck showed up I was able to pull the + lead off the fuse box for a few seconds and put it back on to get everything to boot up long enough to get it into tow mode.
20190619_183441212_iOS - Copy - Copy.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: Calvinb
Intermittent Headlight

The right headlight of my 2013 (Pre-AP) Model S intermittently shuts off.
  • Happens whether on Auto or turned on manually
  • The in-dash "matchbox car" correctly shows status; headlight shows off when it's off (left remains lit)
  • Cycling the headlights always brings it back on (cycling the high beams does not)

Rich had a similar issue - turned out to be a corroded ground connection (watch from timecode)

Edit: wrong video.

Cause for Concern? The last couple of days I have noticed when I try to get in my 2016 Model S 90D, which I bought used and have had it for about 6 weeks, it takes a couple of pulls on the handle to get in. I see some threads about the handles failing and needing to be replaced, wonder if this is a sign the handle is failing?

Also when I got in the car today, the MCU was blank, I pressed the brake and go the wait for your car to power up, sat there for a few min, nothing happened screen still blank, then I reset the screen by pressing the two scroll wheels down, it took a few more min, but then it finally did come back on. I'm heading out on a road trip this weekend and just want to make sure that happens occasionally and there isn't something wrong.

Reactions: GSP
Cause for Concern? The last couple of days I have noticed when I try to get in my 2016 Model S 90D, which I bought used and have had it for about 6 weeks, it takes a couple of pulls on the handle to get in. I see some threads about the handles failing and needing to be replaced, wonder if this is a sign the handle is failing?

Also when I got in the car today, the MCU was blank, I pressed the brake and go the wait for your car to power up, sat there for a few min, nothing happened screen still blank, then I reset the screen by pressing the two scroll wheels down, it took a few more min, but then it finally did come back on. I'm heading out on a road trip this weekend and just want to make sure that happens occasionally and there isn't something wrong.

I have had it happen to me on occasion, most recently about 4 days ago, it is annoying but so far has recovered every time after a double scroll wheel salute.

As for the handle, yes that may be failing on you. Probably the little pull switch wire.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP