Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Car will not respond to key fob or app, press doorhandles and nothing happens, tried both key fobs. Built 8/2018 on version 10 but drove fine after the update. Plugged in for 2 days and now it seems to be so asleep it does not respond. The only response has been when I try to remove charging cable the light turns red, at first it was green or blue as normal. Guess I will be using roadside assistance when we finish dinner, good thing the car is in my garage and not on the road somewhere.
Road side says the 12V reports 14 volts and the tow will be tomorrow

Hey guys I have a gen 1 Tesla model s. We replaced the LH rear door shell and updated the door handle Due to supersede parts. now trying to put it all back together. The dood glass is now not working at all. We replaced the regulator and still nothing. What do you think would be the cause? I double checked and triple checked the connections. Everything else works on the door just not the window.

Did you Chek the door light, window won't work if it is not connected of bad connected and look that the child lock is of for the the rear doors

My AC is making a loud fan squeal when the car is idle and you can hear it wind down as it shuts off. Tesla service, who is generally not very helpful and like to push and cancel reservations, tells me this is normal and wants to cancel my appointment. Is it??

I've had that noise on 2 of my Teslas, and they replaced fan motor each time, it's just bearing/bushing noise - if it were me, I would insist that they replace it.

My AC is making a loud fan squeal when the car is idle and you can hear it wind down as it shuts off. Tesla service, who is generally not very helpful and like to push and cancel reservations, tells me this is normal and wants to cancel my appointment. Is it??
That's the new "crickets in the evening" mode. Totally normal.

At my wit’s end with this.

Last month, vehicle experienced “rattling” from behind glovebox when activating heating/cooling system. Climate otherwise worked well. Took to service center and got the rattling fixed.

However, since that time, my climate system barely works. If I set it to anything but hi or low, auto sits the fan at 5 or 6 (barely felt through the vents) and uses the head and feet vents. I set the vehicle to 80 degrees and while the app reported it was at 84 degrees inside, a thermometer I placed in the vehicle said it was just over 60. If I set it to hi or low (or manual and jack the fan up to 11), it does heat/cool, but again, after 10 minutes of that, my thermometer reported about 70 degrees while the app reported 82. Basically everything between hi and low feels like the same temp-lukewarm.

The thermometer temps felt more accurate to what I felt like the temps were.

On top of that I can no longer use the temperature maintain function (dog mode etc) or turn on climate from the app. Trying from the app gets “failed to turn on climate.” Trying from within the car says “climate keeper unavailable due to system fault.”

Took vehicle to service center (80 minutes away) on Tuesday with these complaints, and get it back today and told “nothing is wrong” even though the vehicle was reporting errors when they ran diagnostics.

I’ve seen on at least one forum someone reported this exact issue, but no one seemed to know the cause or what the SC did to fix it, if anything. I’ve tried hard rebooting.

I’m really frustrated at this point and looking into lemon law options if they continue to fail to repair this issue. But I’m hoping someone here has had this issue and got it fixed and can share what the sc did to fix it.

(My very amateur guess is its a temperature sensor failure. My app will read the car as being 84 degrees when the interior is actually mid 60s-70 per a thermometer placed in my vehicle, and just being in the car and knowing it is not 84 degrees. If the temperature sensor is not working correctly, it would make sense that climate keeper can't keep the accurate temp).

• Informative
Reactions: mrElbe
Help.

Cross posting because am trying to decide if I need to drive ICE SUV tomorrow (462 mi to SC). See below. Thanks.

Receiving error message below. Unable to remotely turn on climate and pre-heat car. Issue only appeared with latest firmware update, but that MIGHT be coincidence, since it appears this has been experienced by others. HAD SAME ISSUE EARLIER IN WEEK IN NJ. Charging at Supercharger seemed to fix it (maybe that was just luck). Issue reappeared this morning.

Was going to drive the car to SC tomorrow (462 mi each way). Now worried we may lose climate functions all together.

Tried Tesla Service Line. If it’s not emergency, they are closed. On the emergency line, they had no suggestions. I rebooted MCU 3 times - no change. Rebooted IC for good measure, no change.

Also getting some funkiness with bluetooth and music. When I was on phone wit Tesla Roadside, audio was streaming and I could not turn it off. Makes me think this is an MCU issue.

Going to cross-post this in Technical issues.

Probably going to drive ICE. YUCK.

View attachment 491532

Hi,
yesterday my car was parked in front of my home. Battery level 80%. I go in my car to clean it. It displayed the error "Maximum battery charge level reduced". charge level: 42%. Unable to charge, unable to drive.
2 hours later battery level 0%
the car was sent this morning to the SC.
20191210.jpg

20191211.jpg

• Helpful
Reactions: TexasDuke
Since more Model S' are hitting the road I think we need to have a new sticky or sub forum for mechanical or technical issues. I was at the LA store yesterday having a vibration issue with my Roadster looked at (it was determined to be a bent rim...ouch). There were several Model S' there for service. One had a broken windshield, the others were there for upgrades or replacement of the stereo amp. The service guys said there has been an issue with the amp that can only be fixed by either replacing it or upgrading the firmware at a service center (won't work over the air). They also said they've had a few door handle issues arise already.

So far the techs have said they've seen no drive train problems, and that's a good sign. I don't want to read too much into these early delivery problems, but I think we should start to track them in a wiki or thread.
20191225_091036.jpg

So i got this error (intermittent) my appoint is on Jan 16, but this is my 2013 85

Has anyone had an issue with the windows not going back up after you close the door? The windows open slightly when you open the driver or passenger door, not sure the reason for this, but it does it and when you close the door it goes back up. My passenger side window does not go back up after you close the door, so I need to close it from the driver side. I've scheduled an appointment for the mobile tech to come out, but just curious if anyone else has had this issue. I have 2016 90D