Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got in my 2014 S85 RWD pre-AP and when I tried to drive, it said my charging cable was still connected. Problem was my cable was not connected nor was my charge port door opened. Tried to unlock and open charging port with screen, app and fob but nothing worked. Rebooted, powered off and still said cable was attached. Then I could hear the port clicking as though someone was constantly releasing and connecting the cable but port was still closed and wouldn't open. My car doesn't have a manual cable release in the trunk. Later in the day I went back to the car and everything was fine and was able to drive but it happened again the next day. Drove to SC without appointment and they said they had never seen this before. I hope it ain't an expensive fix...
good luck.....if out of warranty they will probably charge for diagnosis then tell you it needs a new charger

Our 2015 70D had a message "Service required: car may not start" that appeared and then disappeared. My contact at Tesla pulled the logs and said it was a "slight transient high voltage."
Anyone have an idea as to whether this is serious (hasn't reoccurred yet), and which component is most likely to blame? (I'm hoping drive unit or battery, as those are still under warranty.)

Got in my 2014 S85 RWD pre-AP and when I tried to drive, it said my charging cable was still connected. Problem was my cable was not connected nor was my charge port door opened. Tried to unlock and open charging port with screen, app and fob but nothing worked. Rebooted, powered off and still said cable was attached. Then I could hear the port clicking as though someone was constantly releasing and connecting the cable but port was still closed and wouldn't open. My car doesn't have a manual cable release in the trunk. Later in the day I went back to the car and everything was fine and was able to drive but it happened again the next day. Drove to SC without appointment and they said they had never seen this before. I hope it ain't an expensive fix...

You can try too disconnect the 12v battery. Wait 10 minutes and reconnect it;)

Our 2015 70D had a message "Service required: car may not start" that appeared and then disappeared. My contact at Tesla pulled the logs and said it was a "slight transient high voltage."
Anyone have an idea as to whether this is serious (hasn't reoccurred yet), and which component is most likely to blame? (I'm hoping drive unit or battery, as those are still under warranty.)
Had this message on my 2014 P85, end up having moisture in my newly installed drive unit, so they replaced it again

so just for reference, my AC unit in my 2013 S85 stopped working back in Dec. while on vacation in FL. It took a couple months to get an appt that had a loaner car that could fit my family but after that my suspicion that the dcdc inverter fuse blew was confirmed and $451 later I have a working AC unit again after the fuse was replaced. Coincidentally they left a brand new AC compressor in the trunk of my car that I discovered after getting home, they will be by to pick that up in a couple days seeing as it is an ~$1,100 part. this is not the 1st or even 2nd time they forgot parts in my car, I have returned them every time.

so just for reference, my AC unit in my 2013 S85 stopped working back in Dec. while on vacation in FL. It took a couple months to get an appt that had a loaner car that could fit my family but after that my suspicion that the dcdc inverter fuse blew was confirmed and $451 later I have a working AC unit again after the fuse was replaced. Coincidentally they left a brand new AC compressor in the trunk of my car that I discovered after getting home, they will be by to pick that up in a couple days seeing as it is an ~$1,100 part. this is not the 1st or even 2nd time they forgot parts in my car, I have returned them every time.
sell it back for $451.....hahaha......if you get product delivered in the mail that you advent ordered, law say you can keep them.......nice going.......good to know there are still honest people around

Hah! All I ever got was a packet of stainless steel bolts for the power steering recall, left in my cup holder. I found it before leaving the service center and was able to return them so they could use them on the next car needing the repair.

I received a recall notice on my iPhone app, was told to schedule a mobile service visit, which I did. Zach showed up today. Replaced the passenger airbag and some screws in the steering mechanism. Everything went perfectly. Here are some photos.

IMG_2296.JPGIMG_2297.JPGIMG_2298.JPG IMG_2300.JPG IMG_2301.JPG IMG_2302.JPG IMG_2304.JPG IMG_2305.JPG IMG_2306.JPG IMG_2307.JPG