Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

ajbessinger

EV Repair Technician at QC Charge
Sep 2, 2020
San Marcos California, USA
Also, another question. If I were to take it apart and find liquid while my car is under warranty... Will tesla do anything or are they refusing until catastrophic failure? Not sure if you know this question, but figured it's worth a shot. I got 6 more months left on my 2013.

Next time I get a chance, I'll try to make a video. We don't have a Model S in our shop at the moment, but maybe I can at least demonstrate how to remove the cover on my 70D for you (it wont have the Large Drive Unit or the same speed sensor, but the splash shield removal should be pretty much exactly same).
I don't know if Tesla will do a warranty repair or not if you find liquid, but it would definitely be worth at least getting in touch with the to see. Has your drive unit ever been replaced? And how many miles do you have? Especially on earlier cars, drive units had a problem with the bearings wearing out, and making noise, if your motor is noisy, they will definitely replace it under warranty.

Reactions: Newscutter

hpartsch

Aug 6, 2014
wa
Next time I get a chance, I'll try to make a video. We don't have a Model S in our shop at the moment, but maybe I can at least demonstrate how to remove the cover on my 70D for you (it wont have the Large Drive Unit or the same speed sensor, but the splash shield removal should be pretty much exactly same).
I don't know if Tesla will do a warranty repair or not if you find liquid, but it would definitely be worth at least getting in touch with the to see. Has your drive unit ever been replaced? And how many miles do you have? Especially on earlier cars, drive units had a problem with the bearings wearing out, and making noise, if your motor is noisy, they will definitely replace it under warranty.
It has, from the info you provided it - I think its one likely to be possibly affected? Replaced Jan 2016 with 25k miles - currently has ~82k. No noise currently.

Nav20

Jul 26, 2020
Florida
Do you have a Facebook page that your shop posts on? Many of us would enjoy seeing the different issues you find and address.

ajbessinger

Sep 2, 2020
Do you have a Facebook page that your shop posts on? Many of us would enjoy seeing the different issues you find and address.
Our shop's Facebook page is QC Charge. There's not a whole lot of posting on there, but my boss does occasionally post some stuff. Some of the posts you might see there are also related to the charging equipment side of our business.

Our shop's Facebook page is QC Charge. There's not a whole lot of posting on there, but my boss does occasionally post some stuff. Some of the posts you might see there are also related to the charging equipment side of our business.

Does your shop have a YouTube page? I think you'd find that lucrative as more and more older cars go out of warranty... just saying, worth the effort IMO and unlikely to affect bottom line adversely since most of us just want to see what is involved and then quickly NOPE out of there and pay someone better qualified for complicated rebuilds.

Reactions: JRP3

doubleshot

Mar 8, 2021
Marietta, GA
Does your shop have a YouTube page? I think you'd find that lucrative as more and more older cars go out of warranty... just saying, worth the effort IMO and unlikely to affect bottom line adversely since most of us just want to see what is involved and then quickly NOPE out of there and pay someone better qualified for complicated rebuilds.
quick check on their FB yes, they do have a youtube channel :D

ajbessinger

Sep 2, 2020
Yep, we do in fact have a Youtube page (as @doubleshot pointed out already). I actually just changed the URL so it's not just totally generic (see new URL below).
We actually just filmed a video on how to check the Model S speed sensor today. Hopefully I should have it all edited and uploaded sometime tomorrow. So far, we do have videos on how to check the speed sensors on the Mercedes B-Class ED/B250e and Toyota RAV4 EV (which are both powered by pretty much the same LDU that is used in the RWD and Performance Model S/X).

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC