Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Figured I'd post this here. I've had my Plaid for a little over a week now. Went to my father's house to show him the car. Then watched the football game and went to leave and the car wouldn't go into gear, forward or reverse. Tried various troubleshooting with no change.

Called Tesla roadside and he said on his end he couldn't see anything wrong, so I had to have it towed to my nearest service center.

I reset the vehicle, tried phone as key, tried key card and even tried remote driving via the app. Even the gear selector at the base of the wireless charger and it wouldn't respond.

Anyone ever get stranded this way?

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and McQ14
I really don’t know if this belongs in this thread or not. It’s what I would consider a technical issue though so I’m putting it here.

I get this message/alert (see photo) constantly. My Dashcam USB drive is definitely plugged in, formatted correctly, and it is working because I can view both Sentry and Dashcam videos. I even swapped out thumb drives to see if a different one would make a difference. No joy.
If anyone else is seeing this I guess it could be added to the list.
However if I’m just being dense and misunderstanding what’s going on please let me know.

Attachments

• D9243CFF-DD63-476E-A3A9-CD80C6663DC4.jpeg
    D9243CFF-DD63-476E-A3A9-CD80C6663DC4.jpeg
    411.5 KB · Views: 133
I really don’t know if this belongs in this thread or not. It’s what I would consider a technical issue though so I’m putting it here.

I get this message/alert (see photo) constantly. My Dashcam USB drive is definitely plugged in, formatted correctly, and it is working because I can view both Sentry and Dashcam videos. I even swapped out thumb drives to see if a different one would make a difference. No joy.
If anyone else is seeing this I guess it could be added to the list.
However if I’m just being dense and misunderstanding what’s going on please let me know.
do a reset(hold down both wheels).... fixed mine. My understanding is that this often happens after a recently installed update.

• Informative
Reactions: McQ14
Figured I'd post this here. I've had my Plaid for a little over a week now. Went to my father's house to show him the car. Then watched the football game and went to leave and the car wouldn't go into gear, forward or reverse. Tried various troubleshooting with no change.

Called Tesla roadside and he said on his end he couldn't see anything wrong, so I had to have it towed to my nearest service center.

I reset the vehicle, tried phone as key, tried key card and even tried remote driving via the app. Even the gear selector at the base of the wireless charger and it wouldn't respond.

Anyone ever get stranded this way?
Yikes! I haven't been stranded like that but man, that is not good. I hope Tesla can tell you what the cause was and fixes it.

Reactions: David29
Cannot close my frunk on the refresh Model S LR. Also, my passenger front door handle squeaks on presentation.

Anyone else have frunk issues? It seems to close 1 side only. The other side is "loose", and the app reads the frunk is open. I can reopen it from the app, but always the same issues closing it. I have owned another S, a Y, and a 3 and never had issues with the frunk so I think I know how to close it.

do a reset(hold down both wheels).... fixed mine. My understanding is that this often happens after a recently installed update.
Well, I did a reset - twice. Also swapped out drives to make sure it wasn't the drive. Reformatted both drives, using the car, and then on the computer, following the steps in the manual. I've done this a bunch of times with the Model 3, so I know I'm formatting the drives correctly.

I still get the alert. I'm going to let it ride since the DashCam and the Sentry Mode both seem to be working, despite the alert. It's just weird, though.

Cannot close my frunk on the refresh Model S LR. Also, my passenger front door handle squeaks on presentation.

Anyone else have frunk issues? It seems to close 1 side only. The other side is "loose", and the app reads the frunk is open. I can reopen it from the app, but always the same issues closing it. I have owned another S, a Y, and a 3 and never had issues with the frunk so I think I know how to close it.
FYI found source of frunk issue. There is a liner piece on bottom of hood, which has tabs that pop into holes on each end. One was out, and it was causing frunk to not close evenly.

Picked my plaid up last Wednesday. Alert says "navigation unavailable - service required'. Car in the app just keep spinning since I picked it up, saying last seen x days (day of delivery). They tried to force a remote firmware and it didn't work. I can't properly control the car from my phone (charging, sentry, etc). I tried a Tesla reboot (scroll buttons and brake), removing and reinstalling app and phone. Apparently some firmware updates not being applied, though there is no software update available button in the car. I'll go over to the troubleshooting thread, but just wondering if this is a common issue. I will probably not get a further response from tesla for some time. Anyone know of a way to fix? Factory reset is probably way too extreme.

Picked my plaid up last Wednesday. Alert says "navigation unavailable - service required'. Car in the app just keep spinning since I picked it up, saying last seen x days (day of delivery). They tried to force a remote firmware and it didn't work. I can't properly control the car from my phone (charging, sentry, etc). I tried a Tesla reboot (scroll buttons and brake), removing and reinstalling app and phone. Apparently some firmware updates not being applied, though there is no software update available button in the car. I'll go over to the troubleshooting thread, but just wondering if this is a common issue. I will probably not get a further response from tesla for some time. Anyone know of a way to fix? Factory reset is probably way too extreme.
This happened to me, and several others are reporting it as well after the update to 2021.32.22. I had to take my Plaid into the service center for the fix, but it only took about 45 minutes while I waited.

This happened to me, and several others are reporting it as well after the update to 2021.32.22. I had to take my Plaid into the service center for the fix, but it only took about 45 minutes while I waited.

Thanks for the reply! Maybe I will just go to a service center without waiting then. I literally cant do anything with the car unless I am next to it (bluetooth distance). I'm not waiting 1 month to control my ~$150k new car. Ideally they would have told me they knew what the issue was. And the issue started right after the update was applied per your observation.

Reactions: hpartsch
Thanks for the reply! Maybe I will just go to a service center without waiting then. I literally cant do anything with the car unless I am next to it (bluetooth distance). I'm not waiting 1 month to control my ~$150k new car. Ideally they would have told me they knew what the issue was. And the issue started right after the update was applied per your observation.
Good luck! It was really painless at Lake Forest service center. They knew what the issue was, and had the fix ready and waiting for me to arrive. I was going to walk to Starbucks to kill time, but they finished before I could walk there.

Good luck! It was really painless at Lake Forest service center. They knew what the issue was, and had the fix ready and waiting for me to arrive. I was going to walk to Starbucks to kill time, but they finished before I could walk there.

So you made a Service Center appoinment and then went, or just went to the service center? Thank you!
I'm still getting no response from their mobile appointment team so far.

So you made a Service Center appoinment and then went, or just went to the service center? Thank you!
I requested a mobile service appointment through the App on Saturday - it was scheduled for the following Monday. On Sunday, I got a message that I would need to bring the car into the service center, and the rep (on his own) scheduled an appointment for me for first thing Monday morning at the service center closest to my home. Overall, this was a really great service experience start-to-finish.

Anyone get the Auto Park to function on a 2021 Refreshed S? Is it working or are we still waiting for a firmware release? I thought a version of firmware a while ago stated it was working. However mine has never worked. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing. So many software issues in this vehicle.

Anyone get the Auto Park to function on a 2021 Refreshed S? Is it working or are we still waiting for a firmware release? I thought a version of firmware a while ago stated it was working. However mine has never worked. Maybe I don't know what I'm doing. So many software issues in this vehicle.
Currently it is only enabled for EAP, Early Access Program, participants. But it should be coming soon...

Reactions: 666kW
Currently it is only enabled for EAP, Early Access Program, participants. But it should be coming soon...

Can verify as well (public) 2021.32.22 and still no Auto Park function for us plebes

Reactions: 666kW
After 2 days of ownership of my new MS LR, I had the same problem as you. I coudn't get anyone to respond on the app so I just called the local service center. Service Center couldn't "unstick" my update. They told me to just go-in/walk-in to one of the local service centers. I stopped by 3PM. They fixed it by 6PM closing.

IMHO, since this rendered half my car unuseable for my road trip the next week, I had to take it in and wing it from there. If it was cosmetic like a lot of my other issues, I could have waited a few weeks.

Good luck!

I found this in one of you other thread posts. If you find any more verbage, please share if you can. But I think you posted it already.

Technician verified customer's concern. Found the car lost remote access to mothership. Technician
proceeded with running the routine to setup production vehicle. Verified proper operation.