Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you want to achieve by taking the upper dashboard off? Why not to remove the dash front panels to have a overview of what’s inside and possibly making that sound. It might just be a broken panel clip that’s no longer holding the dashboard and rattling while driving.

What do you want to achieve by taking the upper dashboard off? Why not to remove the dash front panels to have a overview of what’s inside and possibly making that sound. It might just be a broken panel clip that’s no longer holding the dashboard and rattling while driving.
The sound is located pretty much in the middle of the upper dashboard. I think it is the place to start.

Hi

I just bought a used 75d and there is a small clicking noise coming from the centre of the upper dashboard. I didn't find any solution from this board, but if I understood correct the removal of the upper dashboard is just 6 screws away - so before taking the car to SC (two months Tesla warranty left), I thought if I just have a look. The noise is like a loose connector hitting something inside the dashboard when accelerating or breaking.

But the passenger airbag is situated inside the upper dashboard. Is it enough to disable the airbag from the screen and then shut down the car or should I disconnect the 12v battery (bit more work there...) as a safety procedure ?

Thanks.
You need a air wedge.

Look at YT vids for how to take the dash off, for instance, MCU1 replacement.

Or pull up the service manual from Tesla for your car:

Service.tesla.com

This was the case for my rattle, caused by the SvC not using an air wedge and braking a clip...

• Informative
Reactions: blodg1
In 2021 Model S Plaid. Driver side mirror keeps resetting every time it is put into park to a useless position. When I change to the right setting while in drive or park it doesnt save and then the same thing happens again every time i put into park again. This is unrelated to reverse which works fine. Any ideas?

In 2021 Model S Plaid. Driver side mirror keeps resetting every time it is put into park to a useless position. When I change to the right setting while in drive or park it doesnt save and then the same thing happens again every time i put into park again. This is unrelated to reverse which works fine. Any ideas?
After any change “Save” or “Restore” pop-up. That’s the only trick.
Unless…Other possibilities, like a buggy wiggled in there. Once it decomposes it crunch into flakes and mirror location will be saved. Jk! Sounds like a software fix in need.

Car is functioning as expected, no notifications in the screen, but found some strange error messages when connected to CID. Any Ideas? Should I worry about it?

carserver/recentAlerts,
THC_d0004_pumpPT @2019-02-10T11:52:54 @hidden @,

THC_d0005_pumpBat1 @2019-02-10T11:52:54 @hidden @,
EPAS_d048_KFC_EPB_TIMO @2019-02-10T21:47:37 @hidden @2019-02-10T21:50:53,
EPAS_d076_KFC_DAS_TIMO @2019-02-10T21:47:38 @hidden @2019-02-10T21:50:53,
Hello there. Did you get some feedback about those errors? thanks

Desperate for one part for my 2022 Model S. My S has been at the collision center for 10 weeks now and we would like to have it back. They have been waiting on one part - 1643511-00-A (LH, FEC Lamp Brace, MS) - Tesla cannot provide an estimated availability date. I have called all of the parts departments for every Tesla Service Center in TN, KY, and NC (I am in TN) with no responses - very frustrating. Any suggestions?

Desperate for one part for my 2022 Model S. My S has been at the collision center for 10 weeks now and we would like to have it back. They have been waiting on one part - 1643511-00-A (LH, FEC Lamp Brace, MS) - Tesla cannot provide an estimated availability date. I have called all of the parts departments for every Tesla Service Center in TN, KY, and NC (I am in TN) with no responses - very frustrating. Any suggestions?
Look in the parts catalog to get the image of the part and contact Parts sellers on eBay who are dismantling new Model S Plaids and LR. They might have the part on a car and can sell it to you.

Hey T-nuts! I'm a new owner (bought used). New to the community. Had a couple questions/issues to share and get feedback hopefully.

1) When I was in the process of buying, I wanted to get a pre-purchase inspection done. HA, called the local TSLA service center and they said they don't do them. You have to own the car before they'll even look at it. So I do buy it, and immediately drive it to the center, only to be told that I have to set up an account through the app first, and that it could take 3-5 days for ownership to transfer. :oops:
Here I am, a brand new "owner", and already they're sending me away. On top of that, the dealership where I bought it (3rd party) didn't have a charge station. a Toyota dealership without any form of charger station. (WTF), so they'd been keeping it in the showroom trickling it with 12V. I started my test drive at around 50% battery, so by the time I'd competed the deal, it was less, and I had 100 miles to get home with only slightly more than that showing on the range meter. So while I was at the TSLA SC, they were nice enough to show me how to use the nav to find nearby non-T chargers, since I couldn't use theirs. So I went a few miles away and plugged in for awhile. Set up my TSLA account through the app while I waited.
Eventually, swallowed the range anxiety and took off.
I pulled in my garage with 7 miles showing on the range meter. The screen had gone dark near home so I was sweating! But it worked out.
Turns out, the ownership transfer was near immediate, but without knowing it, I wasn't aware I could've supercharged the whole time!

2) Another BIG issue I have, right off the bat, is that being I bought my MS 3rd party, had a couple of previous owners, I really want to know what, if any, work has been done to it directly through TSLA SC. But when I ask for the service history, they won't give it! I don't want owner info, just the service record. They could easily redact the private info and send me their records. So frustrating! Terrible start to my relationship as an owner with the company.

3) Smaller issue: The dealership I bought from had to replace a faulty door handle module. It works, but it squeaks.
Does anyone have this issue?
Are you aware of a simple fix? Can I spray some WD40 around it?

Hey T-nuts! I'm a new owner (bought used). New to the community. Had a couple questions/issues to share and get feedback hopefully.

1) When I was in the process of buying, I wanted to get a pre-purchase inspection done. HA, called the local TSLA service center and they said they don't do them. You have to own the car before they'll even look at it. So I do buy it, and immediately drive it to the center, only to be told that I have to set up an account through the app first, and that it could take 3-5 days for ownership to transfer. :oops:
Here I am, a brand new "owner", and already they're sending me away. On top of that, the dealership where I bought it (3rd party) didn't have a charge station. a Toyota dealership without any form of charger station. (WTF), so they'd been keeping it in the showroom trickling it with 12V. I started my test drive at around 50% battery, so by the time I'd competed the deal, it was less, and I had 100 miles to get home with only slightly more than that showing on the range meter. So while I was at the TSLA SC, they were nice enough to show me how to use the nav to find nearby non-T chargers, since I couldn't use theirs. So I went a few miles away and plugged in for awhile. Set up my TSLA account through the app while I waited.
Eventually, swallowed the range anxiety and took off.
I pulled in my garage with 7 miles showing on the range meter. The screen had gone dark near home so I was sweating! But it worked out.
Turns out, the ownership transfer was near immediate, but without knowing it, I wasn't aware I could've supercharged the whole time!

2) Another BIG issue I have, right off the bat, is that being I bought my MS 3rd party, had a couple of previous owners, I really want to know what, if any, work has been done to it directly through TSLA SC. But when I ask for the service history, they won't give it! I don't want owner info, just the service record. They could easily redact the private info and send me their records. So frustrating! Terrible start to my relationship as an owner with the company.

3) Smaller issue: The dealership I bought from had to replace a faulty door handle module. It works, but it squeaks.
Does anyone have this issue?
Are you aware of a simple fix? Can I spray some WD40 around it?
That sucks all the way around. Sorry you had such trouble. Drive the car for a little while and when you have 2-3 issues to be looked at open a service request. Depending on the problem, they may come to your house to fix it or you take it to them. Add the squeaky lock to the list. They’ll fix it