Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The best solution I've found...open the rear hatch.... Dry the inner areas ...by the time you finish that, the bulk of the water is gone in the glass seal area....

yes, I agree from the washing side, but such a large amount of water should not be allowed to pool there. Perhaps a well placed silicone would help. I'm hoping that Tesla has a better idea before I fill this gap!

I have a small issue that nobody else has mentioned I believe. I work pretty hard at keeping my car clean whenever I can. Whenever I wash my car, there is an area around the rear window that collects dirt and water when washing the car. Even if the car sits, the area around the rear window will expell water and dirt on the first drive following a wash, leaving dirt streaks down the rear of the car. I wish the rear window had a seal around the glass to prevent water from pooling in this area. Over time this area has to be an area for corrosion if it is not kept free from pooling water and dirt.

You can use a leaf blower to dry the car, or for small areas like that a can of compressed air.

Yesterday, after messing around in the cargo area, the hatch will not latch by itself. It lowers and clicks and then starts right back up again. If I place me hand on the hatch and press slightly, then it latches. I can close it manually, but with the remote it just goes down and then back up again.
Philip Macafee

Did you attempt to adjust the bumpers in so that the latch can make a better connection?

My driver reading light won't click any more. The light works fine, as it comes on when entering the car, but the mechanical button isn't working when I try to turn it on manually. Guess that means I shouldn't read my newspaper while driving. :p

I'll get it fixed at service eventually (maybe when my parcel shelf comes in), but it's not a critical issue by any means.

I picked up my Blue loaded 85 today from Westchester Mall and drove home to my home on Long Island. Plugged it at home with 170 miles left and similar problem to Swegman. Car basically went to sleep. Ranger came and woke it up for a minute and then back to sleep. Very disappointed as Ranger told me that they cant come to get it until Monday morning. Really hard to spend over $100,000 and have this happen. After reading this thread, I'm preparing for long haul. I hoped it might be a quick fix.....

My car has 250 miles on the ODO. The issues I have found so far are: Rear seat belts only pulling out at a certain angle and the small triangular window in front of the large drivers side window needs to be sealed better. Outside of those issues the car is great so far. I guess I will call the DS and ask what they can do about the small window. I can hear a fair amount of wind noise and can feel a cold draft from about 8 or so inches from that area. We live 400 miles from the nearest SC.

My car has 250 miles on the ODO. The issues I have found so far are: Rear seat belts only pulling out at a certain angle and the small triangular window in front of the large drivers side window needs to be sealed better. Outside of those issues the car is great so far. I guess I will call the DS and ask what they can do about the small window. I can hear a fair amount of wind noise and can feel a cold draft from about 8 or so inches from that area. We live 400 miles from the nearest SC.

Same issue with the rear belts. If you pull them out an an angle that is normal when seated they catch and scrape when pulled on more. This is a serious problem that is starting to fray the belt. I have had the car 3 months. I had read something somewhere that there was a fix that Tesla could do for this but i never got to the bottom of it. I will be asking them to look at it soon when I go in for some other minor adjustments.

My driver reading light won't click any more. The light works fine, as it comes on when entering the car, but the mechanical button isn't working when I try to turn it on manually. Guess that means I shouldn't read my newspaper while driving. :p

I'll get it fixed at service eventually (maybe when my parcel shelf comes in), but it's not a critical issue by any means.

Ditto for me...

They can fix the seat belts. It's a plastic guide piece inside the trim that is causing it to be sticky. They can remove them. The belts work much more smoothly after removing it. It took the tech about 5 minutes to remove both of them in my car.

I recall reading a post about the passenger mini-window seal getting a fix where some pieces were swapped out. Perhaps you're seeing the same thing (I'm also getting a noise from the small window after a car wash).

They can fix the seat belts. It's a plastic guide piece inside the trim that is causing it to be sticky. They can remove them. The belts work much more smoothly after removing it. It took the tech about 5 minutes to remove both of them in my car.

Does this prevent the belt from extending fully? I took a passenger in the back seat for the first time, and the belt would not extend far enough to reach the buckle. Tried both sides... same thing. It was a larger person wearing a bulky coat, but have never had this problem in any of my other cars with that person.

After installing 4.3 my rear camera isn't working. It simply says its unavailable. I've reset the center screen to no avail. I thought that maybe pulling the fuse responsible for the camera would reset the system. Anyone know which fuse it is?

[...] you want to be moving while turning the wheels. 1 mph is enough. The car doesn't like turning while standing still; you scrape rubber against the pavement and it's a huge effort for the power steering. (Somewhere I read about the detailed technical design considerations which affect this, but I forget the details.)
You may be referring to Edmund's suspension walkaround:
2012 Tesla Model S Signature Performance Suspension Walkaround