Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does this prevent the belt from extending fully? I took a passenger in the back seat for the first time, and the belt would not extend far enough to reach the buckle. Tried both sides... same thing. It was a larger person wearing a bulky coat, but have never had this problem in any of my other cars with that person.

After they did mine, the seat belts work flawlessly.

Mine didn't click from day one. Passenger's side works fine.

My driver reading light won't click any more. The light works fine, as it comes on when entering the car, but the mechanical button isn't working when I try to turn it on manually. Guess that means I shouldn't read my newspaper while driving. :p

I'll get it fixed at service eventually (maybe when my parcel shelf comes in), but it's not a critical issue by any means.
This problem cropped up for me with the driver side light after a month or so of ownership; pushing the fixture didn't produce the expected tactile response to engage/disengage the light. Technician was able to resolve the issue quickly when he was in town checking on other owners' issues (prior to local service center opening), but can't recall if it was a simple realignment of the fixture or replacement of a faulty part.

My garage doesn't have any 3g service. Usually, when I drive to work, it connects within about 2 minutes. This morning, I'd been driving for about 5 minutes into an area I know has 3G, but the car wouldn't connect. I rebooted, while driving, and it connected. I'm still on 4.2.

I've noticed this as well, especially when trying to play music from Slacker, where it can get stuck indefinitely. Changing the channel or pausing/playing the music can sometimes goose it into reconnecting, but it's certainly something that should be improved in firmware. I've only had 4.3 for a couple days, but will keep an eye on it.

My car has 250 miles on the ODO. The issues I have found so far are: Rear seat belts only pulling out at a certain angle and the small triangular window in front of the large drivers side window needs to be sealed better. Outside of those issues the car is great so far. I guess I will call the DS and ask what they can do about the small window. I can hear a fair amount of wind noise and can feel a cold draft from about 8 or so inches from that area. We live 400 miles from the nearest SC.

Lots of people had the air leak at the small triangle window, including me. They got a fix from the factory that they said involved installing a washer (shim) in the big window mechanism. Quick fix that cured my air leak.

Lots of people had the air leak at the small triangle window, including me. They got a fix from the factory that they said involved installing a washer (shim) in the big window mechanism. Quick fix that cured my air leak.

I have no air noise at all. Perfectly silent, however, I ran the car through a touchless wash and got a trickle of water inside and down onto the door panel from that area of the side glass on the driver's side. I suppose I'll mention it to Service, but weird that I can hear no wind/air noise at all when driving.

I'm afraid I have another handle problem to report. As I parked in the garage and got out of my driver side door, I saw the left rear door handle extending waaaay after the car was in park. I pulled on it and it opened the rear door. I closed it and the handle would not retract back in along with the rest of the handles when you would lock the car. It looked like it was stuck almost half way. I pushed it in manually all the way and now it will not extend at all. The other 3 handles work just fine. Does anyone have a solution for this or should I just call tesla service tomorrow?

I'm afraid I have another handle problem to report. As I parked in the garage and got out of my driver side door, I saw the left rear door handle extending waaaay after the car was in park. I pulled on it and it opened the rear door. I closed it and the handle would not retract back in along with the rest of the handles when you would lock the car. It looked like it was stuck almost half way. I pushed it in manually all the way and now it will not extend at all. The other 3 handles work just fine. Does anyone have a solution for this or should I just call tesla service tomorrow?

Same thing happened to me. Tesla came. Removed 2 fuses to reset the handle mechanism and put them back in. Everything worked after. If you know how to access the fuse box in the frunk the two fuses they took out are the red ones in the middle of the picture attached. The two 10a red ones that are aligned need to be pulled. (these are the 2 that are aligned with the 5a brown fuse
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363837529.545484.jpg

Do you need to do anything to the car beforehand? i.e. shut something down, unplug from charger, etc...

Same thing happened to me. Tesla came. Removed 2 fuses to reset the handle mechanism and put them back in. Everything worked after. If you know how to access the fuse box in the frunk the two fuses they took out are the red ones in the middle of the picture attached. The two 10a red ones that are aligned need to be pulled. (these are the 2 that are aligned with the 5a brown fuse View attachment 18741

I have no air noise at all. Perfectly silent, however, I ran the car through a touchless wash and got a trickle of water inside and down onto the door panel from that area of the side glass on the driver's side. I suppose I'll mention it to Service, but weird that I can hear no wind/air noise at all when driving.

This has happened to me twice! I thought it was the open door dripping onto the sill. Come to think about it, I had the passenger front door open right after the wash today, but no water.

I don't detect an air leak either.

Sent via Tapatalk.

damn, that was worked quick :) I just unplugged the car from the charger, had the fob in my pocket. Accessed the fuse box and pulled the two 10a fuses. One controls the front set of of handles, the second controls the rear. As you put one in, each set resets and comes out of the doors. All good! :)

Unless your experience is different, each fuse controls either the left side or right side door controls; fuse #32 controls the right side, fuse #41 controls the left side. This is per the owners guide. Probably still a good idea to pull both fuses to reset both left and right side door controls.

Attachments

• Fuse Box.jpg
    Fuse Box.jpg
    568.8 KB · Views: 1,274
Unless your experience is different, each fuse controls either the left side or right side door controls; fuse #32 controls the right side, fuse #41 controls the left side. This is per the owners guide. Probably still a good idea to pull both fuses to reset both left and right side door controls.

I swear I saw them come out front, then rear as I plugged the fuses back in. But it was late and I might have been just tired so perhaps. Also, what is the difference in #s32,41, and 40? 40 says it controls rear door handles, but 41 is for left door controls...

Had an interesting issue with driver side window two days ago. It refused to go back up.

I also had a strange feeling that something was about to happen right before it happened.

As i pull into a parking spot at the tennis club, a lady knocks on my window and says, "nice car, is this a Tesla", i rolled down the window and talked to here a bit. At this time, i was thinking that i don't want to open the door, not out of fear of the lady , but some strange feeling about that window would not go back up with the door open. Then she said that her son wants to see it and i decided to open the door and get out.

Showed them the car and then tried to roll window back up. Woudn't you know it, my sixth sense was right on. Window refused to go up or down. totally dead.

Called road side "obliviance" , 7:00 pm EST, and all they could do was take my name down, leave a message for the service center, and, download me a new software. i was on 4.3 (1.25.31), the sent me (1.25.4..).

I rebooted everything i can think of and no dice.

AT this time i decided to drive home and let it download while driving.

An hour later, the download complete, installed it, no dice.

I removed any fuse that has to do with the door and replaced it, including F39 which is the left front window motor fuse. No dice.

I gave up. went to sleep, a bit disturbed. It is still cold around here and my Monday is booked, soonest i can take to service is tuesday.

I did not tell my wife that night on purpose. I did not want questions and doubts about the car, i just want to go to sleep.

In the morning, (saturday) no sooner i tell her about it, i minimize it, turn my back and go get dressed, she is down in the garage tinkering. I have no idea she is doing so.

She comes back to report that the car claims that it does not sense a key fob in the car. Message on the dash "No key....". I actually thought she was reporting an earlier message.

I go in the garage, sure enough, she was tinkering but, i noticed the window lower than i left it. I go in, i see the No Key fob message. Does not even recognize my key fob either. I reset both consoles and, all of the sudden the window is operational.

One more problem left. While it goes up and down with the switch. It also goes down automatically when you open the door but not UP when you close it. Open the door and close it multiple times and the window goes down further and further. This makes me think that the door should autodrop only in the very top position, which it does under normal circumstances but, what state was it in that leads to this behavior?

That is good enough for me, i reach over from passenger side and I raise it, no issue, I can wait until Tuesday. I take my son to soccer. "Fail to Auto-raise" issue persisted through soccer game and lunch.

Later the same afternoon, Auto raising decided to work, did not do anything special.

I will take to service, this post serves as documentation for the incident.

What do you guys think,

something mechanical to came loose overnight?

Tesla did something during the night?

Multiple reboots to care of it?

Hardware or software?

Thanks.

Last edited: