Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not feeling too good today. I believe I picked up a case of 12v battery failure (at least that's what I think it is). Went out to the garage this afternoon and noticed the charge port was red and the driver's window was down. I could get in the car since the window was down, but nothing worked. Of course I called service immediately, but they couldn't get the car to wake up either, so it will have to be flat bedded to Fremont tomorrow morning. To make matters worse, they don't have the Model S loaner system in place yet, so it will be back to driving a pos ICE from Enterprise until it's fixed. I hate getting my hands dirty!

We've noticed some 'goop' running down the sunroof (pic below). Jack (Dallas SC Mgr) noticed it during a visit, and apparently it's an easy fix.

sunroof1.jpg

Additional issue is the front seal of the sunroof, this is apparently a known issue, and there's a fix, but it's brutal, apparently.

sunroof seal.jpg

finally, I finally took a couple of photos of the paint issues on my hood, still waiting on word of which bodyshop near me will be certified by Tesla to fix them, but I really think they're under the clear-coat, so no amount of polishing will get rid of them.

hood2.jpg
hood1.jpg

finally, I finally took a couple of photos of the paint issues on my hood, still waiting on word of which bodyshop near me will be certified by Tesla to fix them, but I really think they're under the clear-coat, so no amount of polishing will get rid of them.

View attachment 20150

Over time, I've spotted two or three of these "nebulous clouds" on my car as well. Not too bummed about it as not much can be done about it.

Half of the seal is flush, the other half isn't. Causes wind noise and a poor seal.

And that front seal is on back order. I've been given an estimate of a shipment coming in on Friday 4/19. In the meantime I have a lot of noise above 60 MPH. I had the same butyl smears across the pano roof as well which they fixed while installing my CF spoiler and rear facing seats last week.

Over time, I've spotted two or three of these "nebulous clouds" on my car as well. Not too bummed about it as not much can be done about it.

There is a thread on this but sorry I can't find it, I had about 8 of these same thing, was absolutely positive it was under the clear coat, took it to Tesla and they had the detailer they use for car delivery prep polish them completely, I wouldn't have believed it could be done but my paint is flawless now.

I first saw mine about three weeks ago when the car hadn't seen any ambient temps higher than the low 70s, so I don't buy the heat explanation.
I get it in Portland, OR and we've haven't hit 70 yet this year except maybe one day. Tired of cleaning the goop off the glass when I open the pano. It's not a big deal, but I don't want to go messing around with ripping out any of the sealant.

I have the sunroof seal issue. I didn't get any noise above 60MPH to start with, but it suddenly started after a couple of weeks. That's when I noticed the seal wasn't flush (I'm unsure if it was flush to start with.

My new problem is that while driving to work this morning, I was sitting in traffic and the dashboard display switched to the "Car Off" screen. I tried the pedal, and it was still working, however, I then got 4 warnings, ABS needs service, Traction control disabled, stability control disabled and regen disabled. Rebooting didn't help, so when I got to work I called Tesla and they pushed the update (installing now). They believe that will fix the problem and that there isn't a problem with ABS.

Laundry list of recent software issues. I've been on 4.2 since I got the car and everything worked fine (3k miles). Then over the last 2 weeks:

1) Handles twice failed to extend when approaching the car as usual (my normal parking spot at work). Extended both times as I was reaching to push the handle.
2) Handles failed to extend a few days later. Impatiently unlocked with the keyfob and the rear drivers side door popped open on it's own.
2a) After this incident, hitting "Restore" on the drivers settings would not restore the steering wheel position. Reboot fixed it.
3) This weekend bluetooth for both my iPhone and my wife's Android would not connect. Rebooted.
3a) Reboot hung at the T logo, though systems were functioning and bluetooth was connected. Another reboot fixed it.
4) Seatbelt warning chime got stuck on and nothing would turn it off, including shifting to park and powering off the car. Reboot fixed it.
4a) Reboot came back with no 3G capability; full bars were displayed with no 3G logo and no connectivity for maps or Slacker. Another reboot fixed it.

Finally got the 4.4 (1.31.11) and installed it last night... we'll see how things hold up.

There is a thread on this but sorry I can't find it, I had about 8 of these same thing, was absolutely positive it was under the clear coat, took it to Tesla and they had the detailer they use for car delivery prep polish them completely, I wouldn't have believed it could be done but my paint is flawless now.

Thanks, wstuff! I do have a detail job on my due bill (as I noticed some other minor scratches at delivery and the DS simply put a detail job as a due bill item); I'll avail of that a little later this spring.

I've had that goop issue with the sunroof. This was my self-diagnosis: there was excess sealant/adhesive at some of the seams towards the rear of the sunroof opening. When the sunroof closed, the gasket that's attached to the rear edge of the sunroof would sit in that dollop of goop. Upon opening the roof, that gasket would bring some of the goop with it, spreading it back along the surface of the roof.

My solution was to clean the goop off of my roof glass with an adhesive remover, and then I carefully cleaned up the excess goop in the two spots where the sunroof gasket would contact it. I mostly did this without the use of any chemical cleaner, just by sort of picking it away with a fingertip, because I wasn't sure how the materials would react to the cleaner. Caution: the stuff is messy and I sort of wish I had worn some nitrile gloves.

The result is that I no longer have goop getting dragged along my roof, and the sunroof opens more freely as well (it always strained quite a bit right at the beginning as it tried to pull up out of the goop).

The photo blow was taken before I did the cleaning, and it shows the excess goop (in the circle). The arrow points to the spot where the gasket used to sit down into the goop. You can see how it's pressed down, and there's a little bit of the stuff sort of pulled up and ragged from the roof's action.

IMG_4100.jpg

Mine's definitely pulling to the right now. Just started noticing this a week or so ago. Thought it might be tire pressure differences, but these were all the same.

I've babied this car for all of its 830 miles over the past 2m. The steering wheel "T" is no longer plumb either.

This and a one time door popping open have been the only issues for me.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Mine's definitely pulling to the right now. Just started noticing this a week or so ago. Thought it might be tire pressure differences, but these were all the same.

I've babied this car for all of its 830 miles over the past 2m. The steering wheel "T" is no longer plumb either.

This and a one time door popping open have been the only issues for me.

Sent via Tapatalk.

Welcome to the club. 2 alignments and 1 rotation later and I can still change lanes without my hand on the wheel. Not sure what else to try at this point.

Welcome to the club. 2 alignments and 1 rotation later and I can still change lanes without my hand on the wheel. Not sure what else to try at this point.

I've got about 1,600 miles in one month and have noticed from the beginning that the car doesn't feel as "stable" as I think it should on the freeway. It doesn't pull left or right, but seems to "wobble" back and forth in the lane as I drive. I can actually feel my head bob from side to side as I drive and I constantly have to input minor steering corrections. It's been suggested that an alignment would help here, but I haven't talked to Service about it yet...