Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla service dropped by my house Tuesday night to close out the punch list of items that I had since delivery. Here's my report:

3. Many of us were having difficulty closing the passenger door. I was one of them. This is NOT an alignment issue. It is indeed a pressure issue, and is due to the fact that the cabin is so well sealed. When you close the passenger door, the pressure builds up between the inner and outer seals, making the car difficult to close. (This also explains why it's still difficult with the driver's window open, which you think would alleviate the pressure. It's not due to pressure in the cabin, but BETWEEN the inner and outer door seals on the passenger side.

On the bottom of the passenger door, you'll find a round plug. Remove it and put it into the glove compartment. That should fix the issue, at least for now. BTW: This is an "unofficial" fix. I'm doing it because it fixed the problem. YMMV. (Note: I did not notice an increase in cabin noise after removing this plug).

Just went out to the garage and pulled one of the two plugs on the front passenger door, and that seems to help a lot. I'll still have Service look at it when I bring it in for due bill items, but his helps for now. Thanks!

That should be disabled when the car is in gear. Every car I've owned will not respond to changing driver profile settings while under way. No way is it safe to have seats, steering wheel and mirrors moving about while you're driving. Hopefully Tesla can address this in some future software update.

I, for one, hope they don't. my wife and I are tall so our settings are similar, but the wheel and mirror positions are slightly off. I don't always notice them immediately, but once I do, I'd hate to have to pull over to change the settings. None of our Audis prevent restoring of settings while driving either,

They should fix the issue he's having with mis-tapping, but go no further than that IMO.

We have been having a problem getting the car into gear - well, actually only when my wife is driving. It seems the car doesn't sense her in the seat? She is small, but I wouldn't think 135lbs is too light to trigger the sensor.

Has anyone else had this issue? It seems she has to get up and sit back down a few times to get this to work. I have had no issues when I drive.

Maybe the car is just trying to tell her something?

I have a call into Fremont, but am wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Aaron

We have been having a problem getting the car into gear - well, actually only when my wife is driving. It seems the car doesn't sense her in the seat? She is small, but I wouldn't think 135lbs is too light to trigger the sensor.

Has anyone else had this issue? It seems she has to get up and sit back down a few times to get this to work. I have had no issues when I drive.

I have a call into Fremont, but am wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Aaron
I am under 90 pounds and I have no problem having my S senses that a driver is on the driver seat. The Prius DOES have problem sensing my weight on the passenger seat (i.e., every time I sit on the passenger seat in the Prius, it has a light indicates that I am not present :)

Tesla tech was just at my house replacing the 12v battery and fixing the sunroof sticking problem.
While he was here I told him about the passenger door popping open by itself and that a number of people on the forum are having the same problem and that they're reporting that the door handle needs to be replaced.
He said "no, the door handles are fine. It's a 4.1 firmware issue and should be fixed with the next release."
So, it looks like different techs are taking different positions on this issue.
So far 4.1 has been a really bad release so far as I can tell. I constantly get weird things happening like functions stop working, 12v battery died, doors pop open, etc.
I have to reboot every day or so.

- - - Updated - - -

Aaron

I've noticed recently that it seems to take me two or three tries to get my car to go into gear when I get in to go somewhere.
I've tried pushing harder on the brake before selecting a gear, waiting a little longer, etc. But so far nothing is working.

Update:I'm pretty sure the issue of not wanting to go into gear is related to the temp. It seems that it takes a little longer for the system to wake up when cold, and I'm just not giving it enough time before trying to select a "gear". When I wait a little when cold it seems to work fine. I've also noted that when it's 40 or warmer I don't seem to have the issue at all.

Last edited:

Aaron

You may know this already, but if you apply the brake and immediately try to switch into gear, you can't do it. Correct process is to apply the brake, wait about a second or two, then shift into gear.

If it's always working for you and not for her, sounds like a PEBSWAT issue (Problem Exists Between Steering Wheel and Touchscreen).

Last edited by a moderator:
I, for one, hope they don't. my wife and I are tall so our settings are similar, but the wheel and mirror positions are slightly off. I don't always notice them immediately, but once I do, I'd hate to have to pull over to change the settings. None of our Audis prevent restoring of settings while driving either,

They should fix the issue he's having with mis-tapping, but go no further than that IMO.

I still contend having this while under way is bad in general. Usually you can still adjust the seats, mirrors and steering wheel positions individually by their own controls while under way and that should be sufficient. Not every family will have settings so similar, and having all of these controls moving to drastically different positions "accidentally" could be dangerous.

Another reason for Tesla to provide programmable keyfobs similar to Ford's MyKey. Yeah, that's not Mercedes, BMW, Lexus et al, its Ford.

My Audi does that - you can set it to adjust drivers seat and mirror on the basis of whose key opened the drivers door. I imagine this will come in future software as long as each key sends a unique ID in its communication with the car.

Another reason for Tesla to provide programmable keyfobs similar to Ford's MyKey. Yeah, that's not Mercedes, BMW, Lexus et al, its Ford.

Yes. Even as far back as my 2001 GMC Envoy I had that feature. On that car, if I recall, it would adjust seats, mirrors, radio presets, display units and a bunch of other stuff depending on whether Fob 1 or Fob 2 was used (and I think it supported up to 4 fobs). Had it on pretty much every car since. Are you saying Model S doesn't do this? That would seem odd.

If someone is ashamed of their weight......

Too funny to see all of these responses to weight! I told her about this thread and she just laughed. She and I have made a solid effort to get into/stay in shape for the past year - part of that is not looking/caring about the scale and just judging based on how things fit and how we feel. I also wanted to make sure I could still fit in my Lotus :)

But back on topic:
I'm at the Fremont Service Center right now and they didn't find anything wrong so we will be looking at what she does different than me when getting into the car. Otherwise, just had a few punch-list items fixed.

Aaron

I still contend having this while under way is bad in general. Usually you can still adjust the seats, mirrors and steering wheel positions individually by their own controls while under way and that should be sufficient. Not every family will have settings so similar, and having all of these controls moving to drastically different positions "accidentally" could be dangerous.

For what it's worth, there is a big red "STOP" button in the menu that you can poke if you trigger it accidentally.