Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S Technical / Mechanical Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charge Port Won't Say Closed

Happened a couple of times now: Close the charge port, hear the "clunk" get in the car and it pops open again. Today it did it three times before I could drive away. By the third time, I just sat in the car with the door open and waited for it to pop open again, which it did. Finally it stayed closed. I re-booted the center console, so we'll see if that helps.

Anyone else see this?

Happened a couple of times now: Close the charge port, hear the "clunk" get in the car and it pops open again. Today it did it three times before I could drive away. By the third time, I just sat in the car with the door open and waited for it to pop open again, which it did. Finally it stayed closed. I re-booted the center console, so we'll see if that helps.

Anyone else see this?
One time, just the other day. My daughter (age 8) unplugged and closed the charge port door then noticed it had popped back open before getting in the car. Can't be positive she closed it firmly enough the first time, but she does this all the time and knows how it's supposed to work.

I had a problem with the wind deflector on the panoramic sunroof today. There is a spring loaded plastic arm that pops the deflector up when the sunroof opens. When I opened the sunroof this afternoon the plastic arm snapped. The car was parked outside in ~90 degree sun for 8 hours today. Wonder if heat was a factor.

Anyone else see this?

I've found that if I close it immediately after removing the connector it tends to open again. If I wait (e.g. go hang up the cord), I've had 100% success rate. Nothing like what you've described, however.

Buzzing behind the touchscreen

My list of mechanical problems has started to grow.

I already have the door handle issue mentioned a few posts earlier; surprisingly, after sitting out in the sun all day yesterday (I'm not sure if there's a connection), the passenger rear handle started working again! I'll get it replaced in any case.

Now, I have the buzzing sound behind the center touchscreen that some have reported, I think. It's quite audible with music and A/C off. Don't recall if folks have said that this needs a screen change?!

Hmm. I never had it before. It doesn't go away at all and is present the first thing in the morning even in a cool garage. It's not quite the quiet car it used to be :( I'll ask the service folks to take a look in any case.

gg - I have noticed that too, especially as it is getting warmer. I was just wondering if there was a fan/motor for the back of the touch screen to cool it down. That is what is sounds like on mine. It is definitely not the A/C motor/compressor sound. I do not notice mine all the time - just occasionally and especially on warmer days.

Thanks, Roger.

Hey Todd, nope, this is in broad daylight with no lights on. It's clearly some fan humming behind the screen, much like in an old desktop's power supply. Does sound like the Tegra 3's cooling fan as Roger suggests.

It's hard to tell from the video what the volume is--recordings can be misleading. I've heard a cooling fan from day one, but wouldn't consider it loud. Mine is audible, but not overbearing. Based on the video yours does sound a bit loud.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Roger.

Hey Todd, nope, this is in broad daylight with no lights on. It's clearly some fan humming behind the screen, much like in an old desktop's power supply. Does sound like the Tegra 3's cooling fan as Roger suggests.

I have the same fan noise. It started sometime around when I got 4.4. Initially I thought it was caused by the higher temps as summer nears, but it doesn't ever seem to stop. I called service in Fremont and all they suggested was that I bring it in, so it is on the list for my first service visit.

I remember seeing on a photo, that on the top of the backside of the screen, there are 2 fans!
The 17" is looking as a big touchpad, with two big fans strapped to the back!

So hearing the fans is plausible! And with such a silent car, you hear things you obviously are unaware of in an IC-car

Thanks, Roger.

I had the exact same thing last week, just before my car went in for the 12k. It's the variable speed MCU fan but there's a firmware glitch which means that when it gets up to 100% it won't dial back down. The temporary fix is to pull the fuse but the service center knew all about it and also knew in advance that v4.5 firmware will fix the problem.

Here's my video from last week:

Thanks to the Tampa guys I'm back to peaceful silence. :smile:

I've found that if I close it immediately after removing the connector it tends to open again. If I wait (e.g. go hang up the cord), I've had 100% success rate. Nothing like what you've described, however.

I thought I was getting senile. I swore I closed the door after removing the cable, turned around hung the cable on the wall and got into the car. "open charge port" door icon is showing. This has probably happened 20+ times.

I thought I was getting senile. I swore I closed the door after removing the cable, turned around hung the cable on the wall and got into the car. "open charge port" door icon is showing. This has probably happened 20+ times.
I've gotten into the "close, hold hand until ACK and then get in the car" habit. By "ACK", I mean "acknowledgement" and by that I mean the click that confirms the locking or whatever has engaged while the charge door is closed. Works every time.

Regarding the italics... My impression is that sometimes the spring is fast enough that it swings open before the locking engages.